Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Bullets that kill elk

Shot Nosler partitions for years in a 300 WM, with great results. When I started using a 270 WSM as my go to rifle, I tried the partitions and had trouble putting an accurate load together ( my fault I am sure ), and found a load that was lights out with 140 grain Barnes TSX. Had a nice bull go a long way after what looked like 2 good hits with the Barnes TSX, and when skinned out there was pretty minimal expansion. Since then I have been using 140 grain accubonds. The accubonds seem to be the easiest bullet I have found when it comes to putting together a real accurate load, very forgiving. So far with the accubond, animals shot have taken less than 5 steps before hitting the ground with shots from 30 to 250 yards.

Core-Lokt bullets are probably the best "cheap" bullets out there.

They're all about the same. Copper jacket, lead core. There's nothing extra special about the CL's anymore. Remington changed the design quite a few years ago and now no longer "lock" anything together.

As with any cup & core bullet, velocity (or lack thereof) is the key to good performance.

Well, not really. I had some cheap ammo that was coming apart and spraying lead all over the insides of the deer. They ruined a lot of meat.

I now shoot all copper because I like my meat unleaded.

rg

At least enlighten us with the kind of bullet that you used. The only bad bullet that I have shot through a .308, was a 150 SST. Dynamited on white-tailed does at 2650 fps.

At least enlighten us with the kind of bullet that you used. The only bad bullet that I have shot through a .308, was a 150 SST. Dynamited on white-tailed does at 2650 fps.
I remember that they were 30'06 150gr, I think Federal Power Shok.

I remember that they were 30'06 150gr, I think Federal Power Shok.

Interesting. I shot a couple of whitetails with the same bullet out of a .308. Both were at very close range (30-50 yards) and I didn't see any issues.

I went hunting in South Africa on short notice a few years ago, right before a deployment. I used my guide's .270 with cheap, commonly available South African ammo. I got one shot kills on blesbok, springbuck, fallow deer, warthog, and two black wildebeest. I put a second shot into a kudu, hartabeest, blesbok, and waterbuck that were "dead on their feet" after one well-placed shot. I would have preferred my .280 with Nosler Partitions that I had used before, but simple cup and core bullets got the job done fine.

Barnes TSX are all I have shot for years. I use to shoot Noslers but if you look at those pics above notice how nearly every time the lead core is gone from the front part? That accounts for close to 40% of the weight gone. I could never get partitions to shoot accurately from my rifles either. My brother bought some boxes of Nosler loads with partitions last week and we couldn't get less than 2.5 " groups. We shot some of the old TSX handloads and they were inside an inch. He's taking the Noslers back and I loaded up a box and a half of the TSX's for him. I shoot them in my .338 Win. Mag, .300 RUM , and .300 RSAUM. I have never had one instance where I felt like the bullet performed less than perfect. If I do my job they will every time.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back