Caribou Gear

Bullet for moose...VLD?

Bill
The Scenar or TMK on game are just as devastating as a Berger on game.
If going Mono I’d definitely use a Hammer or Cutting edge bullet.

Bill
The Scenar or TMK on game are just as devastating as a Berger on game.
If going Mono I’d definitely use a Hammer or Cutting edge bullet.

I don’t have experience with either, and haven’t researched them deeply, but my understanding, which may be incorrect, is that Scenars have thicker jackets that are more like today’s match VLDs.
I’m not saying you’re wrong. You may be entirely correct. It took me quite a few years to try to a Berger on an animal in spite of the fact that I’d been shooting them in matches for years. I would definitely want to examine quite a bit of evidence that Scenars and TMKs performed similarly before I’d try it.

I wouldn’t mind a high BC, tipped partition.

Last edited:
Bill
The Scenar is a thicker jacket but works very well. I have used the Berger Hybrids on game with great results also.
Here’s 23 pages including some good friends I trust with lots of experience.

Last edited:
I've shot two Montana Shiras bull moose, and both were one shot kills with 180 grain Nosler Partition bullets from my .30 Gibbs. This September I'll be going after a Newfoundland bull with my 7 mm Rem mag shooting 160 grain Barnes TSX bullets.

I had to make the same decision last summer when coming up with a load for my new browning hells canyon long range in 7mm. In the end I decided I would let the VLD's talk for themselves. The bullets are notoriously super consistent and accurate which definitely proved true for me. Got to test them on two deer last fall, neither of which made it more than 30 yards. Both were 1 shot pass-throughs. The exit holes were not gigantic, but actually very similiar to what my 150 grain Hornady Interlocks look like on the exit side. So, nothing to complain about so far except maybe having DRT kills instead of them running 30 yards. Big deal right? On a side note, I really like heart, and these are so accurate I purposefully avoid the heart while still getting both lungs, resulting in literally zero meat damage and easy processing. Hope to put one in an elk this year. I think they'll actually perform better on elk because it will give the bullet more time to expand. Here's the url to a bison killed with a 7mm 168gr VLD. Skip to 2:20 for the shot.

No experience hunting moose but plenty of time spent shooting ballistic gel with a wide range of bullets. I will say that the VLD at 400 yards and under will fragment and not provide a lot of penetration. On average, the VLD penetrated about 12 inches into ballistic gel at 100 yards. In comparison, bonded bullets and non-lead rounds would provide the same damage but go through the 16 inch gel then 3 one gallon water jugs at the same distance. With moose hunting, you don't hear many stories of shots being taken at extreme long distance.

I would recommend a bonded or non-lead that will provide the penetration to punch through the shoulder if needed.

No experience hunting moose but plenty of time spent shooting ballistic gel with a wide range of bullets. I will say that the VLD at 400 yards and under will fragment and not provide a lot of penetration. On average, the VLD penetrated about 12 inches into ballistic gel at 100 yards. In comparison, bonded bullets and non-lead rounds would provide the same damage but go through the 16 inch gel then 3 one gallon water jugs at the same distance. With moose hunting, you don't hear many stories of shots being taken at extreme long distance.

I would recommend a bonded or non-lead that will provide the penetration to punch through the shoulder if needed.
Have you tested Hammers? Oh yeah. #prostaff mtmuley

Have you tested Hammers? Oh yeah. #prostaff mtmuley
absolutely, Hammers along with Cutting Edge are worth every penny if you plan to shoot beyond 400 yards. If you look at what extreme long range shooters are using these days the majority of the top 10 finishers are using lathe turned copper.

absolutely, Hammers along with Cutting Edge are worth every penny if you plan to shoot beyond 400 yards. If you look at what extreme long range shooters are using these days the majority of the top 10 finishers are using lathe turned copper.

I'm pretty sure Hammer cut some bullets for the competition. Good stuff. mtmuley

Got my Moose in 2018 in Canada ,Alberta using my 7mm Mag loaded with H1000 and 160gr Trophy Bonded Tipped.

Double lunged and complete pass thru at 240 yards. Second hunter put a Nolser Partition 160gr in the same Moose we

found the bullet under the hide on far side perfect mushroom. Both bullets did the job. His load was factory and my

Hand load was a little hotter I think, but not much.

Don’t do it. A hunter/ buddy I was with shot a moose 5 times at 300 yds with 215 berger and it never penetrated through the shoulder. Remember moose hide is twice as thick as elk hide so comparing the two is nonsense. He then grabbed the guides 300 mag weatherby and dropped the moose. Stay away if want the kill

• Haha
Reactions: DFS
Got my Moose in 2018 in Canada ,Alberta using my 7mm Mag loaded with H1000 and 160gr Trophy Bonded Tipped.

Double lunged and complete pass thru at 240 yards. Second hunter put a Nolser Partition 160gr in the same Moose we

found the bullet under the hide on far side perfect mushroom. Both bullets did the job. His load was factory and my

Hand load was a little hotter I think, but not much.
What wmu Did you hunt?

In my personal opinion none of the Berger bullets are hunting bullets...lots of people will disagree and I'm ok with that.

Consider using something a bit tougher like Accubonds, Interbonds, GMX, Etips, Barnes. Lately the non-lead option costs have dropped to nearly the same as other options.
Might make a good varmint bullet but I would not hunt game with a match bullet. In my mind Burger is a fraud pushing match bullets as hunting bullet's. My favorite match bullet's are Sierra Match Kings and Sierra will tell you they are not designed for hunting. But lot of people buy into this Burger garbage because in fact they do kill things but then so will Sierra Match Kings, The difference in the two is Sierra tells the truth that match bullet's are not hunting bullets!

Might make a good varmint bullet but I would not hunt game with a match bullet. In my mind Burger is a fraud pushing match bullets as hunting bullet's. My favorite match bullet's are Sierra Match Kings and Sierra will tell you they are not designed for hunting. But lot of people buy into this Burger garbage because in fact they do kill things but then so will Sierra Match Kings, The difference in the two is Sierra tells the truth that match bullet's are not hunting bullets!

Couple of accubonds and a couple bergers all pulled from elk. Which one is the hunting bullet and which one is the fraud
0E65A77B-0418-49E1-BF7D-9FCB25F0CC08.jpeg

That exact bullet shot really well for me but I had underwhelming results on 4 or 5 animals from elk to antelope. I will not mess with it again.

I have seen hundreds of big game animals killed in person and or assisted in the hunt or removal of the dead animal even processing/butchering. NOT YOU TUBE kills, being there! Anyway, in regards to berger > I can only speak for the 7mm 180 vld hunting. Never had an animal hit in the vitals go more than a few feet and most were dead in 3 to 5 seconds. We have had bullets pass thru even on low shoulder shots. Myself and all my friends have been very impressed not only with the exceptional accuracy but the killing and putting the animal down rapidly. I would feel very confident using that bullet on moose. Most shots are just bang flop! Then again Hornaday spends 100 X more on marketing than berger so they must have a better bullet and they are in every big box store. The berger bullet just fits my gun and shooting and hunting style.

Couple of accubonds and a couple bergers all pulled from elk. Which one is the hunting bullet and which one is the fraud
View attachment 233788
I’m a Berger fan, but my Bergers don’t look like that. They usually either exit or fragment into a million pieces. I fact I’ve only recovered one that didn’t fragment into a million pieces. My guess is that the ones with lower impact velocities, which exited, held up better, and perhaps an elk would have caught the bullet, then maybe it would look like that.

Doesn’t matter. I’ve been very happy with Berger.

I’m a Berger fan, but my Bergers don’t look like that. They usually either exit or fragment into a million pieces. I fact I’ve only recovered one that didn’t fragment into a million pieces. My guess is that the ones with lower impact velocities, which exited, held up better, and perhaps an elk would have caught the bullet, then maybe it would look like that.

Doesn’t matter. I’ve been very happy with Berger.

For whatever reason our 140 Berger vlds look like this more than they don’t. 6.5 creedmoor velocities up to 6.5 saum

Berger does not encourage using their match line for hunting(although some people do) and their hunting bullets are different from their match bullets. Berger’s hunting bullets are also different from Sierra’s match bullets and Lapua’s match bullets. That’s a long way from both “fraud” and “pushing match bullets as hunting bullets”.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back