Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Berger VLD reviews for elk

HuntMT16

I have shot Nosler Accubonds for several years and love them, but my newest rifle absolutely does not like them at all. So now I am on the hunt for a new bullet and as you all know this is not the best time to be shopping for new bullets. As of right now I am just trying to shoot a few different rounds to see what the rifle likes and will group.

I have no experience with Berger bullets but I am looking at trying the Berger VLD hunting rounds, in most likely the 185 grain. The main reason I am looking at these is just because I can actually get my hands on some. But the big question I have is, if my rifle will even group these rounds, are they an effective round for elk? Shot placement is everything and there is no denying that. I have really enjoyed the Accubonds since nothing I have shot with them has gone more than 40 yards before going down, which is the way I like to do things. Can I expect the same results out of the VLDs or in your experience am I looking at slower kills with longer blood trails?

Thanks for your input.

I’ve had excellent results with Berger bullets on game. As far as availability most everything is pretty scarce right now.
Have you considered try Hammer bullets? Their available pretty readily even now.

I will say NO. Here is my response to another question about Berger bullets from last year.

I have personally seen only 1 bull shot with a 190 grain Berger vld from my bros 30-06. It was a standing 340ish yard shot quartering towards us. The bullet penetrated only a few inches and disintegrated. And no the bull did not die with that shot.
Had my bro been shooting a normal bullet the bull wouldn't have required being chased down and finished off.
We poked our fingers numerous times on the tiny fragments from the exploding bullet.
My brother will not use them ever again and I will not use them. I've had much better performance from the plain old fashioned Core-Lokt ammo which by the way have never fragmented on us.

Every situation is different. Have killed a lot of animals with accubonds too. I’m not real sure I’ve noticed a difference in how fast an animal dies with a Berger vs an accubond when shot properly. Now if the shot is drove wrong the Berger seems to make an animal a lot sicker quicker than the accubond drove wrong does.

I’ve shot 4 elk a moose a sheep and numerous deer with 7mm 168 vld. Shockingly it killed them all. A lot of people complain about them but I haven’t had one problem and would use without hesitation. Just my 2 cents.

I’ve heard more good than bad about them. They just aren’t designed for heavy bone from what I’ve been told. You wanna keep them behind the shoulder.

I’ve heard more good than bad about them. They just aren’t designed for heavy bone from what I’ve been told. You wanna keep them behind the shoulder.
I think you’d be surprised how they are. They aren’t going to exit after encountering heavy bone but it’s going to look like a grenade went off behind the bone which is a ton of shrapnel messing stuff up

I have shot several elk with berger bullets and 200 gr 300 wm and several more with a 270 wsm 140 gr berger . A couple made it out of site the others where bang flop...

I’ve heard all the same positive / negative about them. I wanted to see for my self and shot them antelope hunting this year. The destructive part was absolutely correct, one dropped at the shot as a fragment hit the spine. The other ran 30 yards or so with blood coming out in buckets. I chose not to run them again as I am a meat hunter first and for most. It did damage a lot of meat and both were behind the shoulder blades in the ribs.

This was my first year with them. 7mm 168 vld-my wife shot a cow at 245 yards. She hit it high but under the spine. It passed through, caused a lot of damage, and the elk made it 60-70 yards on a full run and was done. I shot a good sized muley buck at 351 yards. Broke the opposite shoulder and passed through with minimal shrapnel found. Lungs were pretty well destroyed and dropped on the spot. There are a ton of great bullets to pick from. This just shot best so far through that rifle.

I’ve heard all the same positive / negative about them. I wanted to see for my self and shot them antelope hunting this year. The destructive part was absolutely correct, one dropped at the shot as a fragment hit the spine. The other ran 30 yards or so with blood coming out in buckets. I chose not to run them again as I am a meat hunter first and for most. It did damage a lot of meat and both were behind the shoulder blades in the ribs.
That’s why I switched to hammers to try this year

I jumped on the Berger bandwagon back in 2007. The RUM first, then .243 and .30-06. Slippery bullets were just getting cool, no matter the construction. What I learned is they work, with limitations. Heavy for caliber is good, while keeping velocities sane. Hated them in the RUM, they are nasty in .243, and in .30-06 it's a give or take. I do not feel comfortable using a Berger close range in any cartridge, especially on big animals. There are many bullets better suited for the task of close and longer range impacts that are usually encountered while hunting. Besides, it's just a couple clicks these days. The damage to meat is pretty severe, at least what I experienced. For me the novelty wore off quick. mtmuley

My wife killed a bull a couple of years ago with the 168 vdl in her 30-06. She shot twice just because it was still standing after the first shot. It didn't take a step, locked up at the first shot and fell over on the second..

I‘m against it. Shot a couple animals with the 7MM 168. Poked some holes about like an arrow with a field point would have. No blood. Never lost an animal but I’m not using it anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back