Bullet for moose...VLD?

cahunter805

Bill
The Scenar or TMK on game are just as devastating as a Berger on game.
If going Mono I’d definitely use a Hammer or Cutting edge bullet.

ImBillT

Bill
The Scenar or TMK on game are just as devastating as a Berger on game.
If going Mono I’d definitely use a Hammer or Cutting edge bullet.
I don’t have experience with either, and haven’t researched them deeply, but my understanding, which may be incorrect, is that Scenars have thicker jackets that are more like today’s match VLDs.
I’m not saying you’re wrong. You may be entirely correct. It took me quite a few years to try to a Berger on an animal in spite of the fact that I’d been shooting them in matches for years. I would definitely want to examine quite a bit of evidence that Scenars and TMKs performed similarly before I’d try it.

I wouldn’t mind a high BC, tipped partition.

Last edited:

buffybr

I've shot two Montana Shiras bull moose, and both were one shot kills with 180 grain Nosler Partition bullets from my .30 Gibbs. This September I'll be going after a Newfoundland bull with my 7 mm Rem mag shooting 160 grain Barnes TSX bullets.

I had to make the same decision last summer when coming up with a load for my new browning hells canyon long range in 7mm. In the end I decided I would let the VLD's talk for themselves. The bullets are notoriously super consistent and accurate which definitely proved true for me. Got to test them on two deer last fall, neither of which made it more than 30 yards. Both were 1 shot pass-throughs. The exit holes were not gigantic, but actually very similiar to what my 150 grain Hornady Interlocks look like on the exit side. So, nothing to complain about so far except maybe having DRT kills instead of them running 30 yards. Big deal right? On a side note, I really like heart, and these are so accurate I purposefully avoid the heart while still getting both lungs, resulting in literally zero meat damage and easy processing. Hope to put one in an elk this year. I think they'll actually perform better on elk because it will give the bullet more time to expand. Here's the url to a bison killed with a 7mm 168gr VLD. Skip to 2:20 for the shot.

No experience hunting moose but plenty of time spent shooting ballistic gel with a wide range of bullets. I will say that the VLD at 400 yards and under will fragment and not provide a lot of penetration. On average, the VLD penetrated about 12 inches into ballistic gel at 100 yards. In comparison, bonded bullets and non-lead rounds would provide the same damage but go through the 16 inch gel then 3 one gallon water jugs at the same distance. With moose hunting, you don't hear many stories of shots being taken at extreme long distance.

I would recommend a bonded or non-lead that will provide the penetration to punch through the shoulder if needed.

mtmuley

No experience hunting moose but plenty of time spent shooting ballistic gel with a wide range of bullets. I will say that the VLD at 400 yards and under will fragment and not provide a lot of penetration. On average, the VLD penetrated about 12 inches into ballistic gel at 100 yards. In comparison, bonded bullets and non-lead rounds would provide the same damage but go through the 16 inch gel then 3 one gallon water jugs at the same distance. With moose hunting, you don't hear many stories of shots being taken at extreme long distance.

I would recommend a bonded or non-lead that will provide the penetration to punch through the shoulder if needed.
Have you tested Hammers? Oh yeah. #prostaff mtmuley

Have you tested Hammers? Oh yeah. #prostaff mtmuley
absolutely, Hammers along with Cutting Edge are worth every penny if you plan to shoot beyond 400 yards. If you look at what extreme long range shooters are using these days the majority of the top 10 finishers are using lathe turned copper.

mtmuley

absolutely, Hammers along with Cutting Edge are worth every penny if you plan to shoot beyond 400 yards. If you look at what extreme long range shooters are using these days the majority of the top 10 finishers are using lathe turned copper.

I'm pretty sure Hammer cut some bullets for the competition. Good stuff. mtmuley