Bullet for moose...VLD?

MITCHMO

Hey all,

I am headed to Alaska for moose and have my 7 rem mag dialed in very well with 168grain Berger VLD’s from HSM. I’m very happy with the shooting. I’m wondering if anyone can offer advice on this bullet or if I should change to a 180 grain version of the same. I see the trajectory is about the same. The VLD being a hollow point is what has me concerned.

HSM also has a 165 Sierra game king spitzer that looks interesting if anyone had experience with his bullet on large game. If none of this works I’ll have to bite the bullet and get some nosler accubonds and work through vetting those out in my gun. If it matters, it’s a browning hells canyon long range. Thanks!

I didn’t think about Barnes. I use them in my tikka and have good success. I think those little blue tips are meat seekers :)

I took two moose both 7mm stw rounds shooting 140 gr partitions they did a fine job on them. I haven't ever shot the bergers but thought of trying them. Now mostly shoot the barnes 165 gr ttsx and have been super impressed out of a 300 win.

My dad hunts moose every couple years in AK and all he uses is a7mm with 180 grain bullets. He has never had one go more than a few yards. Like someone else said moose are big, but they usually go down quickly.

I shoot a .300 WSM and it likes 168 Barnes TTSX. I have only killed one moose (but several elk) and it works fine. As for the Berger VLDs I have a 6.5 x .284 that likes them. So far I have only used them on deer and antelope.

Maybe Moosie will chime in on his experience with a match bullet and moose hunting? :)

If you're confidant, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

My Tikka 7mag loves 175gr Partitions loaded to 2965fps with RL22. They've been great on elk and deer, never had a moose tag. I only shoot Bergers for match loads.

I have no experience killing moose. I have seen lots of elk killed with the 180grn berger vld. Almost all the shots were pass through and the elk died right there. The berger will kill them dead on the broadside shot if placed in the lungs. I really like how they shoot and kill.

For me that would be a " once in a lifetime" type hunt.... no way am i trusting my hunt and a shot to a moose on a bullet like that. A a big animal like that i want penetration........Aframe, partition or a copper/guilding metal would be what i take.

Use what shoots straight; don't over think it and don't fix what isn't broken. I just tell people to bring something at least 140 grain that they shoot well. I've shot 12 and been present for another 10 (most of them while working as biologist). Used everything from a 7mm-08 to a 375 ruger and couldn't even tell you which bullets on a single moose. If they don't drop immediately, they just stand there or maybe slowly start to mope away and a follow up is no problem. I've seen 3 actually run away and that was to get to water 10-20 yards away. Basically if you only have one shot opportunity and hit it in the chest, it will probably die within 50 yards from where you shot it. If you need to anchor it in place, it would be a neck shot so you better be shooting what's most accurate at that point.

If they shoot well in your rifle I’d have total confidence shooting a moose with the 168VLD. I’ve taken lots of animals with Berger bullets and have complete faith in them.

Two opinions on VLD'S. Trust them, or wouldn't use them on a bet. Me, I've found bullets that I have way more confidence in their killing ability. Lathe turned coppers are pretty badass. mtmuley

Two opinions on VLD'S. Trust them, or wouldn't use them on a bet. Me, I've found bullets that I have way more confidence in their killing ability. Lathe turned coppers are pretty badass. mtmuley

#hammerprostaff

Well, it sounds like if i am confident with them, to stay with them. I will definitely say I am confident with them. I will get some accubonds and try them in he next couple weeks and if they don’t shoot as well I’ll just stay with the VLD. I’ll be sure to report back when I find a good shooter as well as hopefully a report on expansion.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back