Caribou Gear Tarp

Bull or Cow?

BuzzH

One morning when I was hunting the Breaks, I noticed several magpies fly off near a log. I looked through my binoculars and saw an animal draped over said log.

I walked over and found:

IMG_4652.JPG

IMG_4653.JPG

What do you think...Bull or Cow?

It's the color of a cow. Don't know what time of year we are talking about, but cows with horns frequently do not shed the velvet as in this case.

I'm going to go with bull.
I am curious how you were able to check for sure though, being as it's gutted.

Hope the hunters came back and got it, although it doesn't tagged. Is it open for spikes over there?

I used to find dead spikes all the time in an area that was only open for cows, a shame.

I think I see some booby in the first photo, so I say cow.

I am curious how you were able to check for sure though, being as it's gutted.
If the reproductive organs are missing, the hole through the pelvis should tell you. Much larger in a cow.

Do I spy mammary glands down yonder? Personally have never seen a cow elk with antlers (not horns) before but i suppose stranger things have happened....

Rest of the story.

It was a bull for sure...the cack-and-balls were still attached.

I looked for a tag and didnt find one, but the way it was left, I was sure the guy that shot it was going to come back.

I decided to keep hunting and headed west. I was a draw over from where I found this elk and watched as 3 guys with pack frames headed up the draw. Eventually they got within about 50 yards of me and I heard one guy say, "that elk should be right here". I said, "No its not"...he about shat his pants.

He then said, "Oh, did you find an elk?" I said "Yep, its one draw over"

They walked up and I knew the guy that shot it didnt have a bull tag. He told me right away he did though.

I talked with him a few minutes and he asked if I had a bull tag. I said I did and then he says, "Cool, last night I saw a nice 6 point, just standing there at 50 yards!"

I then said, "So, let me get this straight, you passed a 6 point at 50 yards and then filled your tag with a spike?"

He looked like he'd been kicked in the sack...he then fessed up that all he had was a cow tag, but it was OK because a legal bull in Montana had to have 12 inch spikes to be considered a bull. I said, no, they dont, they have to be 4 inches. Then I told him it may be a good idea to tag your animal before you leave it for the night. He said, "I thought you didnt have to tag them until you move them."

I didnt know what to say, so just told him it may be a good f-ing idea to read the regulations next time.

I didnt turn them in for a couple reasons, one they were dumber than dirt and I think I got the point across that they need to be more careful. I honestly think the guy that shot it felt pretty bad and they did go back and retrieve it. They could have left it and walked away.

I dont know if I did the right thing there or not, but taking into consideration the fact that the spikes were so small and they went back...I gave them a pass. I really think it was an honest mistake and I doubt the MTFWP would have done much more than given them a warning.

The last thing he said was, "I didnt think anyone would ever find that elk back here in a million years". I just said, "Funny how that works isnt it?"

I feel pretty confident he'll look twice before busting a cap on a "cow" elk again.

I had already decided if I didnt see anyone on my way back to the truck I was going to get ahold of the FWP show them these pictures and ask if I could use my either sex tag on it. It would have been a shame to leave that elk to the birds. If they would have said no I was going to ask them if I could at least pack it out for them and let them take it and give it to a food bank or something.

Last edited:
Good job Buzz, your probably right about the warning and I can see that if the spikes were not even as long as the ears how that mistake could have been made-ish.

It also says something that they came back to get the animal and not leave it to waste. Most people, not all, who make a mistake like that in the field will take the heat for it and try to do the right thing. Glad to see they came back and just the fact that they were sweating bullets the rest of the day may have been good enough.

Wondering why the hell they didn't cover that elk up with some pine branches or something to keep the sun off it and to not advertise it to the sky wolfs??
Some people?

Last edited:
Interesting story, Buzz. I think someone with enough time in the woods has a good vibe for whether one straight up fkd up or not. Good to hear they took care of business. Good call in my book.

Interesting story, Buzz.

Years ago I came across a big, dead 6X7 bull in the middle of the archery season. It was early morning and he had been shot the night before, low in the chest. I have no idea why the shooter failed to recover the bull. I asked the other hunters I saw if they knew anything about it, but noone did. It was still there a couple days later. When I got home I got a call from a local game warden who had heard I found a dead bull. I told him the story and he wanted to get the antlers before someone else did. I told him where it was then asked him if it would have been the last weekend of the season and I was without elk meat if I could have tagged and taken the elk. He said no, only the hunter who legally kills an animal can take it.

In that situation it would have seemed the right thing to do, but sometimes the right thing is not legal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back