Caribou Gear Tarp

Budget Bow - Trick it out or leave it be?

WestKyHunt

After purchasing my first bow last year, I dove headfirst down the rabbit hole.
I now find myself wanting to switch to higher end accessories (sights, rests, etc) on my budget Diamond Infinite Edge.

Should I dump the money into this bow hoping it improves its performance?
Or use it as is until I can purchase a higher end bow in the future?

I guess there is a third option of putting what I want on there now and keep the factory accessories if I sell it

I like a nice aluminum-framed sight (no plastic) and a simple whisker-biscuit arrow rest. I've also added upgraded stabilizers and vibration dampers to each of my bows, but nothing too fancy.

For a hunting bow, my philosophy is that simple is better. I try to get as few moving parts as possible.

When I bought my first bow, I bought the whole economy kit. Sight, Rest, Quiver, Stabilizer, etc. That got me shooting and working on fundamentals. I upgraded one piece at a time over a couple years and transferred the upgraded accessories to my new bow, and put the EL ones on my old bow as a back up and then sold it complete upon my next upgrade.

high end accessories can be transferred to a new bow anytime. No need to buy brand new accessories each time you get a new bow, contrary to popular belief.
This!

If you're more or less happy with the bow itself, figure out what piece of gear you think will most help/improve you (better sight, better rest, better stabilizer, etc) then just take it with you to your next bow. Also, your "nice" bow might be closer than you think. I bought my first nice bow used from a guy who gets a new Mathews every year (there are a LOT of these people out there)--paid about half price.

How is this bow treating you. Can you hit what your aiming at? If so yes go ahead and upgrade your rest "whisker biscuit" is simple and works fine or a drop away = more money. Then sights would be my next up grade.
Shoot this bow until your ability exceeds the ability of this set up. Then buy the bow of your dreams and keep this one as a back up or one to pass on to a new bow hunter.
Remember your the one writing the check do what you works best for you!!!!

I have a budget bow (Bear Species) in the RTH package, which are budget accessories. I immediately upgraded the grip ($5 built my own), peep ($2) and the cable slide ($35). This is my 3rd year of shooting it and I have not found a need or want to upgrade any of the other bow accessories. I tried out a couple different stabilizers at the pro shop and found that the one already on my bow works the best. WB rest works best for me, and the sight works just fine, as does the quiver. My tru-fire wrist release was about $70 and I don’t care for it. Eventually I will switch brands and get a new release.

With your current set-up, which accessory are you most wanting to upgrade, and why? I’d start researching the ones you want and make a list of what to buy. If there is an urgent NEED to change out an accessory for this hunting season I’d go ahead and do it, otherwise just add upgrades over time.

When you buy your next bow I’d try to get it used in Jan or Feb to get a steep discount, and you can swap out accessories between bows as needed.

The stabilizer that comes stock is pretty much pointless. I would upgrade that and maybe the sight to a 3rd axis if you're ever going to hunt out west. Otherwise, all else on that bow should be more than adequate. I have a nice Hamskea drop-away rest; my b-i-l has a Ripcord; my son has the cheap capture rest on his Diamond. I honestly don't see a difference between the three in the actual results.

I would recommend above all else making sure that it's tuned properly and shoot every day. That's the two things I've found that shrinks groups more than expensive rests, sights, or any of the other latest and greatest.

I would invite a buddy over that shoots well. Shoot his/her bow; have him/her shoot yours. That will tell you whether any performance issues are you or the bow and you can focus your energy accordingly.

Last edited:
high end accessories can be transferred to a new bow anytime. No need to buy brand new accessories each time you get a new bow, contrary to popular belief.
I agree with this as well. I shot a high end bow for years then went into get a new bow I have a long draw so they were showing me all the long draw bows they had instock I tried the bear Species out and loved it it was about a third of the price of the original bow I had came in to shoot and planned on getting ended up going with the bear put a trophy ridge react 7 sight on it and love It for me the budget bow was a lot more comfortable and a better fit than the high ends

I started off budget bow and put high end accessories on it, then transferred accessories to nicer bow later. I think that approach makes more sense than ending up with a C+ bow with C+ accessories. I also think the rest and sight make a yuge difference in accurate shooting so you might find your current bow is doing just fine

I have a budget bow (Bear Species) in the RTH package, which are budget accessories. I immediately upgraded the grip ($5 built my own), peep ($2) and the cable slide ($35). This is my 3rd year of shooting it and I have not found a need or want to upgrade any of the other bow accessories. I tried out a couple different stabilizers at the pro shop and found that the one already on my bow works the best. WB rest works best for me, and the sight works just fine, as does the quiver. My tru-fire wrist release was about $70 and I don’t care for it. Eventually I will switch brands and get a new release.

With your current set-up, which accessory are you most wanting to upgrade, and why? I’d start researching the ones you want and make a list of what to buy. If there is an urgent NEED to change out an accessory for this hunting season I’d go ahead and do it, otherwise just add upgrades over time.

When you buy your next bow I’d try to get it used in Jan or Feb to get a steep discount, and you can swap out accessories between bows as needed.
Not NEEDING anything thankfully but I definitely feel like a longer/heavier stabilizer and a drop away would help me with accuracy.

The stock sights screws stripped the first time sighting in so I have a $50 trophy ridge I picked up at Academy.

I've never thought about upgrading the grip. What are the benefits?
I have long hands so something a little more beefy would probably be more comfortable

I would recommend above all else making sure that it's tuned properly and shoot every day. That's the two things I've found that shrinks groups more than expensive rests, sights, or any of the other latest and greatest.

I would invite a buddy over that shoots well. Shoot his/her bow; have him/her shoot yours. That will tell you whether any performance issues are you or the bow and you can focus your energy accordingly.
I have been wanting to do all these things, but I do not have any buddies that shoot a bow and my local shop is just adequate.

I want to add that I'm comfortable shooting at 20yards but I feel like there is more potential. Out of the bow and myself.
A 30minute lesson from someone that really knows what they're going would more than likely mend some of my problems

I've never thought about upgrading the grip. What are the benefits?
I have long hands so something a little more beefy would probably be more comfortable
I start out with a natural hand position of knuckles pointing at a 45 degree angle and a dead-man's grip on the riser, in order to eliminate torque.

1630364127031.png

From there, I like the riser to feel comfortable against my palm, and my index finger resting against something, rather than floating out in space. I don't know what the mechanical benefits are, other than it feels natural and doesn't distract me. The stock grip was harsh and dug into my hand. I fashioned mine out of adhesive-back foam and electrical tape.

I think you have the right idea of having a beefier grip to accommodate longer hands. Just make sure it isn't too big so as to splay your thumb and first digit of your index finger.

You could upgrade to a longbow?
listen I’ve had all kinds of bows. My advice is not a real lot is gonna drastically change your bow. Def not change performance. The bow is what it is. Think about it? You shouldn’t be covering the target imo. If the pin was a clock the 12.00 position tip would be your aim spot. You’re arrow should hit just about lollipop style.
If that’s the case what would an upgrade do unless you got an adjustable sight.
What’s wrong with your rest? I shoot off the shelf and have zero issues. I’m sure you’ve got a better rest than that.
Gonna tell you what I’d do, buy a longbow! Oh yea I already said that.
Save your money. Take no ones word for anything. Consider what they say though and shoot some better bows. Once you decide on one get it. Put nice gear on it if you like. Keep the old one. We always need back up bows.
Id not waste good money on an infinite edge. Great starter bow but that’s it and I’m don’t mean any offense by that

I got into archery in 2016, with a 2015 PSE Surge RTH set up. Shot it a while and upgraded the sight to a TruGlo carbon hybrid. Then came time for a new string which I had a ABB Premium string and cable set installed. I see no reason for me to "upgrade" at this point.

Drop away arrow rest and a good quality sight is money well spent on a bow. The biggest mistake people make is not selecting a good quality arrow and tuning the arrow to your bow....like hand loading ammunition for your firearm. Take the time and make sure your arrows are tuned to your bow! Purchase a good cut on contact broad head and make sure you know how to sharpen them and keep them razor sharp!

the diamond infinite edge is a fine bow, no need to upgrade right away. I got a new to me bow last year that was set up pretty well. I took sights off my old bow and bought a torqueless grip. after all was said and done I saved about $1000 because I didn't buy new. don't fall into the need new trap, especially with archery equipment.

the diamond infinite edge is a fine bow, no need to upgrade right away. I got a new to me bow last year that was set up pretty well. I took sights off my old bow and bought a torqueless grip. after all was said and done I saved about $1000 because I didn't buy new. don't fall into the need new trap, especially with archery equipment.
My niece has a stock Infinite Edge and has taken several deer with it. She probably shoots it better than most hunters that start shooting their higher end bows a month before season. Not saying more expensive accessories don’t help but I’ve found there’s no substitute for practice. I practice daily and can shoot my lower end back up bow with a whisker biscuit nearly as well as my high end set up. I have the expensive stuff more out of want than need. I’d feel confident taking my cheaper bow hunting any day of the week.

Bow technology keeps making everything better and more shooter friendly. The midrange bows today are exponentially better that what was available in the past. I mostly shoot a recurve but keep a compound in reserve so that when an old injury starts bothering me I can still shoot. I shoot a 10 yo Diamond Air Raid. Ive upgraded the sight, rest and stabilizer over the years but other than that it’s a stock bow. Shoots so good I hate to replace it.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back