Bucket List Animal

bucket list animal

• Total voters
Bighorn ram. Only reason I am still chasing hunts in a dozen Western states. Getting too dang old. Just figured out will be solo on a mountain goat hunt for first couple of days so will likely pack in lighter than need then make a second pack in the next day so can get 11 miles into the wilderness and start glassing. I might glass one up on first hike in though am in no hurry to punch the tag unless weather is taking a turn for the worse.

I got a bighorn ewe a few years back and a free range aoudad ram. Just not yet ready to retire to whitetail hunting from a deer stand and chasing wild turkeys. If I draw the bighorn ram tag then am ready to retire and likely that same winter will move to Spain. Maybe God is not a fan of me living in Spain so keeps me waiting on the ram tag.

I think of bucket list as something I want to achieve before I die as opposed to a dream I like the idea of.

Sheep and moose where always there for me in US and Lord Derby eland in Africa. These guided hunts are way too expensive for me these days, particularly with the aussie dollar. So I don't ever see a remote possibility of them happening.

Aside from that, something I've learnt about myself is that the two guided hunts I have done left me feeling pretty hollow. I need to do things diy to really feel I've achieved something. I am doing another guided hunt for buffalo but that's because of the old man and a family friend coming along, more about that than the hunt.

At the top would probably be a mountain lion stalking on foot. Can't see I'd ever have time free to do that but it is my dream hunt.

A nice diy elk and mule deer would be high. Score means nothing to me but a 6x6 elk that has nice throw backs and a nice framed muley with good tine length.

I'd like to hunt sika in NZ again but unguided. Will probably do this within a couple of years.

A chamois and a mature public land south island NZ red (I'm a red hunter so could hunt them anywhere). I had an opportunity at a public red once there but passed him up.

A mature roe buck, especially after missing a nice one last time in europe.

A mature hog deer stag with a muzzleloader.

On the outer,

I've always loved altai and alpine ibex but they're just a little out of my price range. If they stayed still I would but hunt prices seem to increase at the same rate as I lag behind.

I always wanted to shoot the australian 6 deer species, been sitting at 5 for the past 5 years. Rusa can only be hunted with private access or guides so I doubt it will happen. At this point I've stopped thinking about it.

And a west texas aoudad, not a true sheep (literal and figurative sense) but could be possibly a compromise on bighorn.

• Caribou
  • Moose done
  • Grizzly
  • 180" + Mulie done
  • 350"+ bull done
  • Big Cat
  • 80" + Antelope done
  • Goat or sheep sheep done
  • 180" + Whitetail number one on my list
  • other trophy ungulate
  • A wolf
  • Yukon moose
Pretty cool list of check offs.

I know it is not on the list, but I have always wanted to hit a crow with my vehicle - that is a real challenge.

ClearCreek
We hit a dove in my cousins truck. We turned around and went back and got it. I plucked that thing. Being it was in season I figured why not.

Marco Polo
I amazed at the fact that if you get on bookyourhunt.com you can find them for almost the same price as a Dall sheep hunt. I got curious at the success rates and I contacted the lowest price outfitter and he replied very quickly. He has never in 10 years sent one guy home without a Marco Polo. Find a Dall sheep guy in North America that can say that.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back