Browning BAR Mark 3 go or no?

Texas_Jaeger

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a good hunting Semi-Auto that let me lay down medium-big size game to 3-400 yards. My original planning was to go with a Browning BAR MK3 DBM in .308WIN.
But in some outdoor magazine, I read that the reasonable range is just around 200-220 yards and it is about 2MOA accurate on 100 yards. That is not what I was expecting.
I could imagine that a M1A is in that area but a Browning, that is really disappointing.

My question is, are those real-world values? Is the missing accuracy because of the DBM design and it will be better in a long barrel version? Maybe a different cartridge too? (I am thinking .300 WinMag or 30 Nosler)

Has anyone some first hand experience?

Thank you!

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a good hunting Semi-Auto that let me lay down medium-big size game to 3-400 yards. My original planning was to go with a Browning BAR MK3 DBM in .308WIN.
But in some outdoor magazine, I read that the reasonable range is just around 200-220 yards and it is about 2MOA accurate on 100 yards. That is not what I was expecting.
I could imagine that a M1A is in that area but a Browning, that is really disappointing.

My question is, are those real-world values? Is the missing accuracy because of the DBM design and it will be better in a long barrel version? Maybe a different cartridge too? (I am thinking .300 WinMag or 30 Nosler)

Thank you!
Just curious, why semi-auto? I had one and never used it - it weighed a ton and did not shoot nearly as well as bolt guns at a third the price.

I own 2 Bolt Action rifles and a deep in the bushes AR10 - so instead of going with another Bolt Action, I figured a classic Semi-Auto could be fun.
And I don't think 7,5lbs is too heavy.

I shot a nice buck with my brother's 300 Win BAR two years ago. Scope on my gun was off and he filled his tag so I used his gun rather than waste time sighting mine in. A one shot deal and not very far. Through the heart and that was that. The day before I missed an awkward shot laying on the side of a steep coulee. He has a bipod on it. I was unfamiliar and had trouble getting it adjusted. Anyway, the ports in the BOSS accurizer gizmo Browning puts on some of those about scrambled my brains shooting with a steep hill alongside my head. One shot and I was about knocked out. Really. If you get a Browning with one of those attached you can order an aftermarket tube without the ports. I sent one to him for his next birthday. Much appreciated. I guess the BOSS system does help with accuracy ... a bit.

I killed twenty or so deer with a BAR 270 years ago. Fine rifle. Semi autos aren’t known for accuracy because of the way they’re built.

I’m with @diamond hitch. I’ve had a BAR Mark II in 7mm and its all I’ve ever used in 25+ years of hunting. If I do my job, it does it’s job. I’ve only ever had the opportunity to take a couple of 300 yard shots and made them both. I checked zero in the backyard off a tripod at 90 yards before this year’s antelope hunt - the BAR round is the closest to the bullseye. And there is something about the sound of the action closing on that gun that just says “it’s time to hunt”

Attachments

• 7304BCDC-6879-455B-8A50-663CAB208813.jpeg
    7304BCDC-6879-455B-8A50-663CAB208813.jpeg
    979 KB · Views: 2
If you have to have a semi-auto, Browning is the way to roll. Though, I know nothing about the Mark 3.

My first deer gun was a Belgian BAR 7mm. It has killed a pile of deer, bear and been on a western hunt. The only reason I went to a bolt gun was because my hunts get brushy, dirty and icy pretty often and the action wasn't real tolerant of those conditions. If you can keep it clean, it is a great gun.

I used to know a fair amount of people who shot BARs for deer here in MN, and from those I also heard pretty differing opinions on their accuracy. That said a 2MOA gun in most of MN is plenty. I could also see where a semi-auto would be more ammo sensitive, given their construction the barrel harmonics seem wonky, so I would look closely at that.

If you are looking to stretch your range, the only recommendation for a semi auto rifle I would make is the gas-impingement driven AR platform. They have a good track record of accuracy. That said, for me black guns=work, so I would never carry one when I am recreating....

The other platform I have heard a couple of pretty good anecdotal reviews on is the Benelli R1. It is very similar to the Browning, and in the same ballpark pricewise. You might consider researching them as well.....

Hello everyone,

Thank you!
The BAR MK3 DBM has an 18inch barrel. I am sure this contributes to the 2 MOA accuracy. The regular MK3 comes with a 22-24 barrel depending on caliber. Like stated before semi-autos are not noted for sub MOA accuracy in the first place, but thousands of trophies are on the wall today because of the Browning BAR. Hopefully many thousands more to come.

7mm is a great choice but I'm not real sure it will burn all the powder in a 18" tube?

Following this thread closely. I’ve always wanted a BAR. I’m a lefty and always wanted a LH BAR. Thanks to a tip from a member here on HT, I learned that Browning will be making a limited run of LH BAR MK III in .300 Win Mag (24”) in the spring of ‘21. I pre-ordered mine on Thursday.

Last edited:
Following this thread closely. I’ve always wanted a BAR. I’m a lefty and always wanted a LH BAR. Thanks to a tip from a member here on HT, I learned that Browning will be making a limited run of LH BAR MK III in .300 Win Mag (24”) in the spring of ‘21. I pre-ordered mine on Thursday.
Good for you! I love BARs

My go to deer rifle for the last 20 years has been a BAR in 270 win. Every year I shoot it before the season and rarely do I need to adjust. It has always been a sub moa. Even took it out west one year, my brother put a tag on a muley with it. Would never think of selling it.

I used my brother's 300 Win BAR for one afternoon again this year. It killed my back carrying it in my hands stalking muleys. They are overweight to start with but also without a doubt the poorest balanced weapon I have ever handled. WAY too heavy WAY too far forward. In the hands it pulls forward on my shoulders and back. By contrast, I suspect the old Browning A5 Magnum Twelve with 30" barrel I carried all day pheasant hunting is as heavy but it's balanced perfectly where the fore end meets receiver. I can carry it easily with one hand on either side, no problem. And almost every day for six weeks every year. Not going to happen with lopsided BAR! I was wiped after a half day.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back