Browning BAR Mark 3 go or no?

I own a browning long trac in 7mag and 308 short trac and wifes 270 lightweight. All 3 shoot under 1” groups, no problem. Buddy has 7 mag longtrac and his shoots under a 1” with my same accubond load. If you reload, you should have no problem shooting under 1”.
Both longtrac and shortrac are similar in weight when in field. 7 kicks slightly more. 7 does a little more meat damage. But 7 has a little more knock down if your your shots are longer.

Following this thread closely. I’ve always wanted a BAR. I’m a lefty and always wanted a LH BAR. Thanks to a tip from a member here on HT, I learned that Browning will be making a limited run of LH BAR MK III in .300 Win Mag (24”) in the spring of ‘21. I pre-ordered mine on Thursday.
How are you liking it? I am looking at BARS now as I have a hog problem and I usually only get 1 shot off w my bolt actions. Trying to decide between a nostalgic Safari or a newer MK III

How are you liking it? I am looking at BARS now as I have a hog problem and I usually only get 1 shot off w my bolt actions. Trying to decide between a nostalgic Safari or a newer MK III
My dealer wasn’t able to get it for me (after placing the order nearly a year ago) so he have me back my deposit. I finally found one in 30-06 on Gunbroker and bought it. I’m up in GA for the summer so won’t actually be able to shoot it until November.

A former hunting partner had a semi-auto Browning. He would fire several rounds at a deer or elk by the time my Remington 700 was stabilized to focus on a good shot. Just remember that a quality shot is typically more effective than a large volume of rounds!
He has long ago ceased to be a hunting partner; emphasis on the term "former".

Came here looking for information on the BAR MK3 as I just took mine to the range for it's first few rounds. Came home with it in as of now a unrecoverable jam after two recoverable jams. Mine is chambered in 30-06 fyi. Not an impressive go to say the least.

Came here looking for information on the BAR MK3 as I just took mine to the range for it's first few rounds. Came home with it in as of now a unrecoverable jam after two recoverable jams. Mine is chambered in 30-06 fyi. Not an impressive go to say the least.
What ammo were you using?

Just curious, why semi-auto? I had one and never used it - it weighed a ton and did not shoot nearly as well as bolt guns at a third the price.
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a good hunting Semi-Auto that let me lay down medium-big size game to 3-400 yards. My original planning was to go with a Browning BAR MK3 DBM in .308WIN.
But in some outdoor magazine, I read that the reasonable range is just around 200-220 yards and it is about 2MOA accurate on 100 yards. That is not what I was expecting.
I could imagine that a M1A is in that area but a Browning, that is really disappointing.

My question is, are those real-world values? Is the missing accuracy because of the DBM design and it will be better in a long barrel version? Maybe a different cartridge too? (I am thinking .300 WinMag or 30 Nosler)

Has anyone some first hand experience?

Thank you!
I just did very close to 1MOA with crappy 30-06 soft tip. The gun has BOSS though.

Attachments

• 9CDBC1C0-36FC-43A3-B60C-54CE6BC8FE54.jpeg
    9CDBC1C0-36FC-43A3-B60C-54CE6BC8FE54.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
I just did very close to 1MOA with crappy 30-06 soft tip. The gun has BOSS though.
You can order an aftermarket sleeve for BOSS without the ports. I bought one for my brother after pretty much ruining the hearing in my left ear shooting his BAR prone off bipod on the side of a hill. They are stainless and look a little off on a blued gun but easier on the ears and still zeroed well.

Back