Caribou Gear

Browning BAR & Ammo selection???

• Thread starter Deleted member 40315
  • Start date

Which manufacture(s) do you consider highest quality for hunting deer and elk?

• Winchester

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Remington

• Wolf

• Lake City

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member 40315

So, I bought a new Browning BAR last Fall and used to to go deer hunting. Took three shots on some nice bucks and a varmit from afar. Didn’t hit either (call it buck fever) on any of the three occasions. In fact, I had a jam after my first shot and all we at temperatures around 10-32 degrees F. When season was over I learned two things. 1) Stick to the old bolt action rifle system. A lot less moving parts to deal with and it’s just easier to clean and maintain. I still believe there are some advantages to an auto; one being quick follow up shots. 2) You better know how to break down an auto hunting rifle (I might suggest a AR platform for ease of use and familiarity) because there are some specifics to assembly. I’m afraid that if I took this rifle into the mountains and has mechanical failure that I’d be done. Big believer in having a backup rifle ready. Definitely have a backup so you don’t get shutdown.

More importantly I wanted to start a conversation on bullet choice. I was shooting Hornady 150 grain interlock American Whitetail 300 Win Mag. These were the three failures I had. Since then I have cleaned the rifle and it has been to the Browning factory for maintainace in Missouri. It also had a factory check so according the Browning the rifle is in perfect operating condition bearing test fired and spec maintained by their technicians. I am going to look into shooting a higher quality bullet. I was going to go with Hornady GMX but am considering other manufacturers. Any suggestions? Would like to stick to 150-180 weight. Any help is much appreciated and thank you for the suggestions.

I have a BAR in 7 mm Rem mag that I hunted with for years. It is not the same gun as the new ones but I would think some of the issues would be similar. The gas port has to be kept really clean on mine or it might not eject the empty correctly. I had to clean it after firing around 30 shots or so. I also sent it back for factory service once because occasionally an empty would stick in the chamber.
Even though I successfully took a bunch of deer and a few hogs with that gun I purchased a Model 70 classic in 7 mag in the mid 90s and basically retired the BAR. I no longer hunt in the same heavy cover where I thought I needed the BAR. I still shoot it at paper occasionally and may hunt with it again but it is just not as light or as accurate as my bolt guns.
For ammo I had my best results with Federal in their premium lines and Remington's premium products. Probably the best was with some nosler bullets as well as some of Remington core lokt ultra projectiles. The green box Remington in 150 core lokt were decent just not my preferred hunting load.

I have a BAR in 7 mm Rem mag that I hunted with for years. It is not the same gun as the new ones but I would think some of the issues would be similar. The gas port has to be kept really clean on mine or it might not eject the empty correctly. I had to clean it after firing around 30 shots or so. I also sent it back for factory service once because occasionally an empty would stick in the chamber.
Even though I successfully took a bunch of deer and a few hogs with that gun I purchased a Model 70 classic in 7 mag in the mid 90s and basically retired the BAR. I no longer hunt in the same heavy cover where I thought I needed the BAR. I still shoot it at paper occasionally and may hunt with it again but it is just not as light or as accurate as my bolt guns.
For ammo I had my best results with Federal in their premium lines and Remington's premium products. Probably the best was with some nosler bullets as well as some of Remington core lokt ultra projectiles. The green box Remington in 150 core lokt were decent just not my preferred hunting load.
Thanks John,

I should say also that I bought this rifle after shooting my uncles 270 BAR made in the early 70’s. Love shooting his rifle. Love shooting this one too but his was an original Belgium build and assembly. My was made in Belgium but assembled in Portugal I think. Anyways, I’m going to give it another season and wanted some input on ammo manufacturers. I should have preferenced also that I too felt the cartridge after foreign wasn’t ejecting properly (the bolt wasn’t sliding back far enough for proper ejection). This meaning that the gas block needed adjustment. Sure enough the first thing Browning said they did was adjust the gas block so I’m hoping that was the major issue. Btw, browning paints and marks their gas block screws so if you manually adjust it yourself you risk warranty void. Be careful. Also I will say that Browning/Winchester have 5 star customer service when it comes to servicing and shipping your firearm. Super happy that I purchased from them and will do so in the furture. Model 70 or X-bolt might be in my future. Thanks for the input! Have a great day!

I have an xbolt that I love. I also have a BAR in 270. Its older but Ive never had any issues with it. As far as ammo goes, I have been very happy with the Nosler Trophy Grade line. Seems to shoot really well out of everything Ive hunted with. I want to start reloading in the near future but as far as factory goes, the Nosler is as good as Ive found. Prior to this I shot the Winchester Supreme line out of my xbolt in 270 WSM. The Accubond and Etips shot well. I would recommend either.

I think the jam was a result of too much oil. Clean your rifle and gas tube. Leave it dry for hunting and store it lightly lubed. Also I'd be using heavier bullets in a 300 win mag...180s at least. I don't think brand choice has anything to do with function in a new rifle.

As much as I like the classic BAR, I think they are too heavy. If you're wanting a bolt gun then I think you'll find the scale heavily weighted toward the X-bolts

First and only centerfire I’ve ever bought was a BAR (Mark II Safari) in 7mm mag. Bought brand new in 1993 I believe. I voted federal as I’ve always run federal premiums or power shoks through it. All factory ammo bought at the local sporting goods stores. Lately I’ve been shooting 150 gr. Power shoks and they’ve done just fine on the range and in the field. Granted I don’t shoot much, maybe about 300-400 rounds since I’ve owned it, but I’ve never had an issue with the ammo or the rifle.

My only complaint about the gun is the trigger pull is a bit heavy and not entirely crisp. Apparently browning authorized gun smiths won’t work on the triggers because of the risk of the guns bordering on automatic if they lighten up the pull much beyond the factory specs.

well, sent that gun (bar) down the road today. Lol! It’s been to the browning service center twice now in Missouri. I just didn’t have good any luck with that rifle. I honestly reached out to browning through email and phone and nothing. So live and learn. I think I got a lemon and it’s just part of the process.

I bought a savage high country in 270 Winchester last fall for whitetail season and I love that rifle. Love the cartridge too. I’m thinking I’m going to get one in 300 win mag as well. The trigger is awesome as well as adjustable and features of the accufit stock are completely customizable. Pvd coating is highly durable and finish awesome. Plus the bolt is butter smooth. I highly recommend savage. So far so good. I’m actually really happy about my purchase. It was shooting 1/2 inch groupings out of the box at 100 yards with Hornady interlocks 130grain. Hopefully I can work up some customizable loads to improve accuracy even further 👍🏻E345B65B-A449-4311-B3E3-F41D844723CF.jpegC880BE8E-BCEF-49A0-9215-E0CA144B2ADF.jpeg98BE4DB4-904F-4BDD-8E11-4B1A82B074E8.jpeg

I've killed many deer with a BAR in 7mm rem mag. I tried a lot of rounds over the years but it always shot most accurately with Remington Core-lokts. It is also the only round it would reliably cycle. I have no idea why this is the case, so I just stuck with it.

I've killed many deer with a BAR in 7mm rem mag. I tried a lot of rounds over the years but it always shot most accurately with Remington Core-lokts. It is also the only round it would reliably cycle. I have no idea why this is the case, so I just stuck with it.
I agree with your choice for core locks. I tried five types of ammo; including multiple “premium” type ammo. Whatever the heck that means lol! Anyways, I event specifically tried ammo for that bar that was for automatic gas block rifles, specifically. With no success. It is what it is and I moved on. I’m not talking about an accuracy issue necessarily but just plain ole standard operation function reliability. I think I just got a lemon. Not happy about it but the single issue that bothers me the most is Browning’s customer service to fix this problem. I bought that rifle “brand new” built in 2019. They would “service” it it seemed like forever; let me ask a question? Would you take a rifle on an Alaskan hunt or any hunt for that matter that needed to go to the gun smith multiple times? Just food for thought. Then again, I put some of the blame on me as buying an automatic hunting rifle and being a green horn movie at the time. There is a reason bolt action rifle are popular, because they have less failure to operate. In the end, it’s a turn off to have a bad customer experience. Anyways, thank you to everyone on this thread that contributed towards a resolvement. I appreciate the advise and direction. Life is about learning from mistakes and successes. Thanks again! 👍🏻😃

I also wanted to add that since learning a ton on reloading and bullets that core locks are a fantastic bullet design. Specifically talking about bullet build they are awesome. Deep penetration with excellent weight retention. Accuracy can be debated as to their component and performance in certain rifles. In the end, you gotta go with what works and the core lock has been around for a long time with highly repetitive customers every fall. Great choice. 👍🏻

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 4 BARs and have consistantly killed elk and deer with them since 1983. The older ones can be finicky and should be kept clean. I rarely oil them more than a very light film and often only Hornaday spray cleaner and lube. Starting with the Safari model, they eat all the shells. I shoot handloads and have never had a problem. I think the 162grain bullet has the best bullistic coefficient but I like the 175 gr bullets. They make up for mistakes. I have two bolt actions. They aren't that much lighter nor more accurate. The issue I recommend is find out what the gun likes. There are many fine bullets but guns like each one differantly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back