Caribou Gear Tarp

broadheads for elk

mixedbag

I've been using Montecs for years.I'm all out of them so I was wondering what alot of you other guys have been using.And what you've all found that fly close to field points

Razor tricks for me. Having the bow tuned is going to help you shoot a variety of broadheads better, some people are the "close enough" type when it comes to FP vs BH flight...I'm not (don't think you are either). If you are having troubles get your bow into a shop and have them look it over.

Haven't shot any elk, but most broadheads out there should do the job fine.

I shoot the montec G-5 and have for more years than I remember. Bought 2 packs and have only lost one after all that time and two or three deer taken a year.
The G-5 is great because it's an easily resharpened broadheads.
That doesn't mean much if a guy can't find em after the shot.
My friends mostly use expanding type points and lots of those work well. But I'm a fix blade guy.
That shuttle-T head looks bullet proof and one of my friends swears by them.
Another one of my friends loves the Rage hypodermic, and has recovered many deer that had some highly questionable shots on them.
I have another friend that misses 4-6 deer a year and rarely finds an arrow. So he uses what ever is the cheapest he can find.

Lots of choices out there and I'd bet almost all will perform fine on a good broadside shot.
Pick what your gut tells you and practice with them often.

If you like Montecs you should try VPA. They are a similar 1-piece design but use better steel, are tougher and easier to sharpen.

Really, it's hard to go wrong these days with so many good options out there. Others good choices include Slick Trick, Shuttle T, Wac'em, QAD Exodus, and Magnus Stingers & Snuffers. All will group with your field points as long as your bow is tuned and you have shooting good form.

I had the montec g5 stainless steel and I could not get them sharp enough. I watched youtube videos and I admit I am not a metal smith and just couldn't find the correct angle.

Rage Hypodermics. As long as you have the poundage to get them to work effectively, there doesn't seem to be much like the damage that those things do. VPA, as stated above, also makes an incredible product.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back