Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Brisket cooking time

mtmuley

For the guys that are experienced, is there a way to estimate cooking time for a brisket by weight? I have a 17 pounder that I want done at a certain time give or take an hour or so including a good rest. mtmuley

I cook my briskets at 250 F. At that temperature with my smoker a brisket usually takes 12 hours give or take (winter time vs summer time, etc). After trimming, most of the briskets I cook are in the 14-16 lb range. I'd plan on a two hour rest, that way if you need an extra hour of cook time you'll still meet your serving time. Even after resting for 3 hours in a cooler, a brisket will be plenty hot to serve. Something to keep in mind if you hit your final temperature early.

For the guys that are experienced, is there a way to estimate cooking time for a brisket by weight? I have a 17 pounder that I want done at a certain time give or take an hour or so including a good rest. mtmuley
Plan an hour a pound in a smoker. I start mine on the smoker for the first few hours and them move them to my pellet grill. Temp consistency is easier. As the other guys said, you can put in a cooler wrapped and it will stay hot enough to eat for several hours. If that time frame doesn't work out, consider separating the point from the flat and cooking them separately. It will likely reduce the time several hours.

I've learned to shoot for a At LEAST 4 hours before I need anything ready. You can always wrap it and place in a cooler. Nothing worse than not having it anywhere near ready when you want it to be. Since your sol at that point.
I'm not an expert but this is really a very key point. It is very easy to put the brisket in a cooler and keep it for several hours. A lot of the professionals don't serve their briskets for 6+ hours after they are done. WAY better to end up with a brisket in a cooler for a few hours over having to jack the temperature up and/or not end up with enough rest time before serving.

225-250 degrees. Cook the brisket for 45-1 hr per pound. 10lb brisket can take about 8-10 hours. Looking for an internal temp of 200-203ish when you pull. Wrap in foil or paper once you pull. It will continue to cook while it rests. You should let it rest for at least an hour before serving, longer if you have the time. I like to let mine rest in the oven (not turned on). In my opinion, brisket tastes best if you take the time to go low and slow. If you cook it too fast the flavor can still be good, but it's almost always a little chewier than desired. Also, go with prime or choice cuts. They cost more but generally taste better.

When I cook brisket it is usually a festive time and beer starts shortly after breakfast. The only advice I have is to wrap it at the end and make sure it has plenty of liquid to absorb to keep it juicy - Nectar juice/beef broth and a final coat of molasses concoction should help keep it moist and delicious! The brisket is always worth the time and effort

Lots of good advice already. 45mins - 1 hr per pound is what I've always been told.

Let me know when you're starting it, I should be able to hit the road that way and be there around the time it's getting finished up! 😂

A hour a pound plus a hour for resting so 18 hours is what I'd plan on. It will probably finish earlier but the worst thing you can do is pull it early or not let it rest long enough.

I like to pull at 200. Temp will keep rising after you pull it. Like Nick said, have it ready a few hours ahead of time and let rest in a cooler. Will be much tastier and easy to slice.

I would also definitely recommend wrapping it at around 165 or whenever you have enough bark and color. I like paper for a thicker bark or a foil pan with some Au jus in the bottom covered with foil that's my personal favorite but you sacrifice the bark a bit. It'll help cook faster and get past the stall.

I smoke mine overnight at 225. Wrap at 170 or so, which is usually about the time I’m waking up and getting coffee. I like to use a foil baking pan with beef broth in it. Let it go to 200. If I have company over there’s no stress, as the brisket gets done whenever around midday and rests several hours. I use a camp chef pellet grill, so smoking while sleeping is no big deal. Makes for some fantastic bbq.

I smoke mine over night starting at 8 to 11 pm with earlier for big, and 17 is big at 185 on a treager and with a smoke tube to get better smoke. then turn up to 225 in the morning. a 17 pounder is BIG and takes awhile. I never wrap mine at 165-170 like some folks but that is a good expediter method.

Lots of techniques to determine doneness. For me it is always when inserting a meat probe goes in like SOFT butter in the point and the flat it is ready. you see in the pics I also track internal temp. It can be done and i pull it at 195 to 203 degrees in my experience. But the probe test is the determinant. If have not smoked a brisket, google “brisket stall” to familairize with fact the internal temp stalls for a long time around 160 or so. Just know it and dont be surprised.

My advice is to plan to have it sitting in a cooler, wrapped in foil or better is couple layerers of nonlined butcher paper and wrapped in towels for at keat 5 hours after the cook. It will hold that long well if finish cooking that early and it gives you some hours of buffer if the cook takes longer.

And you DO want to let it rest at least an hour or two in a cooler as above before serving. Helps keep all the juice from running out when slice and will still be hot when pull it out.

C33EDE02-5E61-4605-9C5D-CDAEF5646975.jpegE2737859-F8F0-4277-AB41-47F987639623.jpeg7EC8CDE1-19D1-467D-9854-172648277140.jpegBE63EAC2-586D-4280-B4FD-CA4ACA6FD178.jpeg

Attachments

• 67F81FDE-C8A6-48D7-978F-4DC357E84A56.jpeg
    67F81FDE-C8A6-48D7-978F-4DC357E84A56.jpeg
    590.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 967A0CE6-A94B-40C6-B46A-254DCA767BDE.jpeg
    967A0CE6-A94B-40C6-B46A-254DCA767BDE.jpeg
    424.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 590A29EA-39AB-417F-9AEC-A05E362D2C1D.jpeg
    590A29EA-39AB-417F-9AEC-A05E362D2C1D.jpeg
    459.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Forum statistics