PEAX Equipment

Brisket cooking time

Has anyone tried the Meater bluetooth probes? I have heard great things, but have never seen one in action.

I backed them on kickstarter when they were starting up. I used it for a few years and loved it - ended up having a flare-up and the temp spiked over 800, so that probe doesn't work anymore. I did buy another single probe - and use it all of the time. I need / want to see if they'll fix the old probe or not - just haven't gotten around to it.

I use it in the kitchen for all kinds of meat and it is very accurate (when to pull the meat off the heat, rest times, etc). Takes some fun out of it - but it is nice to use on domestic meats. I don't cook those as often and tend to cook them more rare (without the probe).

I just rubbed it down. If I start it between 5 and 6 Saturday morning that’ll be about 32 hours that it has the dry rub on it.

At 45 minutes a pound it will take 8 hours and 15 minutes, so I’ll plan on 9. That means I should start resting it between 2 and 3.
It will keep plenty hot in a cooler wrapped in foil and towels for several hours. Seriously, I've done up to 12 hours and it is still warm. If the time per pound says 8 hours, give yourself 10+. You will not regret having plenty of time if you didn't need it. But you'll be miserable if it's not done on time. Each brisket is different.

I take the same approach as I do with amount of food per person. Estimate amount needed and add 50% lol. I never regret having plenty of food but would be mortified if I ever ran out.

Edited to add: Found another post of mine where a 10lb brisket took 13 hours (Post in thread 'What's on the smoker today?' https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/whats-on-the-smoker-today.279235/post-2945460)

I also realized I've talked about brisket on here a lot lol.

Brown Butcher paper or tinfoil? I have both. Which do you prefer and why?
Papers considered more traditional and allows the smoke to to still get in making a firmer traditional Texas style bark. Foil retains the moisture better and you end up with a more tender product with some sacrifice of bark. A more extreme version of the foil is a pan with Au Jus (with a grate to keep the meet lifted out of the liquid) coverd in foil. At home my with friends and family the consensus is paper. At BBQ competition the foil pan has hands down scored higher consistently of all 3.

Papers considered more traditional and allows the smoke to to still get in making a firmer traditional Texas style bark. Foil retains the moisture better and you end up with a more tender product with some sacrifice of bark. A more extreme version of the foil is a pan with Au Jus (with a grate to keep the meet lifted out of the liquid) coverd in foil. At home my with friends and family the consensus is paper. At BBQ competition the foil pan has hands down scored higher consistently of all 3.
I planned on going the paper route just for those reasons.
I prefer the paper. I don't have a why it's all I've used so I stick with it.
Tradition, that’s a good why!
I used paper on the advice of several HTers. The brisket turned out great but only my first one. mtmuley
Hunttalk never dissappoints! 😂

All my briskets have been finished in a foil wrap. I've done it, a lot. A lot of times. Never disappoints. Just got a roll of that red paper butcher wrap. Will check it out.

Brown Butcher paper or tinfoil? I have both. Which do you prefer and why?
I like paper better because it seems like foil softens up that awesome bark you worked so hard to create because it doesn't vent. I've seen and read alot about using the "foil boat" method which basically creating a little tub out of foil and not wrapping the whole thing that I may try someday. Theres also the "Goldee's method" in which they don't wrap the brisket, just dollup some beef tallow on top at and let it ride the entire cook. They're consistently in the top rated Texas BBQ restaurants so it must work. But I've had decent results wrapping with butcher paper so I'll likely stick to that.

Cook it the day before, wrap it in foil, then a couple towels, then put it in a good cooler and shell be ready whenever you want

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back