Brisket cooking time

Good deal! A long cook on an expensive cut turning out good is a satisfying feeling, and I as well usually feel like there’s room for progression. Separate note, seems like all the built thermometers on pellet rigs are crap, not Ute why that is?

Brisket turned out great. A little dry.on the thinner end. I think my Traeger probe bit the dust at the end. Stayed 195 for over an hour. On the hunt for a better thermometer. Still, everybody loved it. My first try. Now the wife trusts me. mtmuley
never happened without a photo, let’s se that giant slab!

how many hours what temps, wrapped midway or no?

When y'all talk about wrapping it, what exactly are you doing - what are you wrapping it up in?

Do you remove the tail and cook it separate from the flat?

David
NM

never happened without a photo, let’s se that giant slab!

how many hours what temps, wrapped midway or no?
Sorry. No pics. My Daughter and SIL had just arrived and were hungry. Wrapped it in butcher paper at 170. Then back in the smoker. As I said I think my probe thermometer quit working and I had it in the smoker about an hour too long. Wrapped in towels then in a cooler. Delicious but part of it was just a touch dry. Can't wait to cook another one. mtmuley

I’m going to cook a brisket Saturday. My first. I’ll have to look to see how big it is but I’ll plan on 45 minutes/lb at 225. Wife says she wants it done at Supper time. I’m shooting to have it wrapped in a cooler at 4.

EDIT just looked 10.85 lbs. I thought it was bigger than that.

What’s your rub recipe? I’m going with brown sugar, paprika, garlic and onion powder, kosher salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and mustard powder unless a distinguished hunt talk member posts a better recipe with pictures!

Sorry. No pics. My Daughter and SIL had just arrived and were hungry. Wrapped it in butcher paper at 170. Then back in the smoker. As I said I think my probe thermometer quit working and I had it in the smoker about an hour too long. Wrapped in towels then in a cooler. Delicious but part of it was just a touch dry. Can't wait to cook another one. mtmuley
It’s hard to keep the end of the flat from drying out. You’ll notice that the YouTube “pros” trim off a crazy amount of flat that ends up in their burger/chili pile.

I like to leave it in there and slice from the point end first. That leaves the dryer leaner part for the very end. I usually cube up the last bit for brisket chili or burnt ends.

I'm far from expert but give yourself at least 4 hours. Not sure what time you guys eat dinner. We eat with the white hairs around 5 lol
Anywhere from 4pm-8:30. Usually when I say it’s ready it’s about 15 or 20 minutes before people actually sit down.

I’m going to cook a brisket Saturday. My first. I’ll have to look to see how big it is but I’ll plan on 45 minutes/lb at 225. Wife says she wants it done at Supper time. I’m shooting to have it wrapped in a cooler at 4.

EDIT just looked 10.85 lbs. I thought it was bigger than that.

What’s your rub recipe? I’m going with brown sugar, paprika, garlic and onion powder, kosher salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and mustard powder unless a distinguished hunt talk member posts a better recipe with pictures!
Give yourself more time than you think you need. A hot brisket in a cooler will rest and temp for hours and I find a longer rest better than a short rest. And I’d much rather have it rest an hour extra than be rushed for time.

Regarding rub, you have the makings of a good rub. I’m a huge advocate for a 24-36 hour dry brine with just the salt then do the fancy stuff an hour or so before the it goes in the smoker. Black pepper should be the lead in the rub, the rest is just the choir.

You can always bump all the way to 275 if the 225 isn’t getting it done.

I rub mine with Lowry’s season salt and black pepper. I usually get the biggest briskets I can get my hands on, cook on my offset smoker over post oak and mesquite at 225-250 for 15-18 hours for briskets from 17-20lbs. I cook 20 - 30/ year between cook offs, deer camp, and summer get togethers. Usually pretty good.

9C1CE031-2DAC-44A2-8C47-63A41BB14838.jpeg897586B9-9E6B-491F-A281-0466B4FB4C77.jpeg0ACB3126-3EA0-4EBB-8EB3-BA1EC5CFBD57.jpeg6CEB8473-9F27-458F-97FD-00C1BA255A38.jpeg

Give yourself more time than you think you need. A hot brisket in a cooler will rest and temp for hours and I find a longer rest better than a short rest. And I’d much rather have it rest an hour extra than be rushed for time.

Regarding rub, you have the makings of a good rub. I’m a huge advocate for a 24-36 hour dry brine with just the salt then do the fancy stuff an hour or so before the it goes in the smoker. Black pepper should be the lead in the rub, the rest is just the choir.

You can always bump all the way to 275 if the 225 isn’t getting it done.
I just rubbed it down. If I start it between 5 and 6 Saturday morning that’ll be about 32 hours that it has the dry rub on it.

At 45 minutes a pound it will take 8 hours and 15 minutes, so I’ll plan on 9. That means I should start resting it between 2 and 3.

Some would regard this as heresy, but I'll throw it out there anyway: if you're ever pressed for time, you can separate the flat from the point, cook both pieces together, and cut your cooking time in half. It's more difficult to keep the flat moist when separated, but it can be done with good results.

I just rubbed it down. If I start it between 5 and 6 Saturday morning that’ll be about 32 hours that it has the dry rub on it.

At 45 minutes a pound it will take 8 hours and 15 minutes, so I’ll plan on 9. That means I should start resting it between 2 and 3.
You are set!

Some would regard this as heresy, but I'll throw it out there anyway: if you're ever pressed for time, you can separate the flat from the point, cook both pieces together, and cut your cooking time in half. It's more difficult to keep the flat moist when separated, but it can be done with good results.
1680872673962.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back