Caribou Gear

Bringing Home the Elk Meat

elkdiesel

A friend and I went out on Wednesday in the -20 degree weather and put some meat in the freezer. Our wives called us crazy and the old truck protested for the first 20 minutes heading down the road, but it was all worth it. We were in great position just as it started to get light and we could see the elk up on the hillside. A quick 20 minute hike through knee deep snow and we let the lead fly. We knocked down a cow and this bull, and then the work started!! It was a great hunt and we had a great time together hauling the meat home. Luckily another friend joined in on the second and third loads. We are all still walking a little funny, but enjoyed every minute of it.:hump:
2010elk.jpg

100_1229.jpg

Very nice! Grats. Thick snow. A cow and a bull! That is a hell of a lot of packing / dragging!

Nice job. Looks like a fresh break on the left side, but I'll bet you didn't find it in all that snow..

Love the 2nd pic. Make's me remember not to pop a cap unless I'm willing to put the Back into it ! Great Job !!

Nice job. Looks like a fresh break on the left side, but I'll bet you didn't find it in all that snow..

Yea Oak you are right, we looked several times around the place he fell, but no luck. We stuck it on the GPS and will try in the spring to see if it is around. If not we will break out the clay and build him a new one.

Man with all that snow and they way you MT guys are killing elk...............will there be any elk left for the wolves to eat? I am concerned.

Nice bull.

Last edited:
Man with all that snow and they way you MT guys are killing elk...............will there be any elk left for the wolves to eat? I am concerned.

Nice bull.

It is all part of the plan. Once we exterminate the elk, the wolves will die, and we can reintroduce the elk from AZ.

I love hunting in the snow..... Except when you kill something :D That 2nd picture makes my legs hurt jsut looking at it.

Great bull, Thanx for doing your part to starve the wolves ;)

It is all part of the plan. Once we exterminate the elk, the wolves will die, and we can reintroduce the elk from AZ.

I just spent several hours in Boulder, Colorado. Through the good intentions of generous Boulderites, we were able to collect a entire semi truck of dog food. It is currently headed to Montana to feed the wolves through the winter.

You're Welcome:D

Back