Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Bringing a nice gun to the duck blind

cwitherow

Good morning everyone,

While I have no problem bringing the "beater" out duck and goose hunting, I want to start bringing my 16 gauge as well. I have the goal of shooting as many species as I can with it. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to keep it clean and out of the mud? We typically hunt out of cattails or in fields for geese. I have been looking at some waterproof floating cases. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated!

My granddads 1100 has made a trip to the blind several times. The only thing special I do is break it down after the hunt and get it clean, especially if it’s raining. I have one of those floating cases, northern flight or something from cabelas and it works fine. It does have one scuff from me but I figure it’s a story for someone else later. Those guns need to be used! (In all fairness I’m a wood stock fan anyway)

Shoot it, clean it. Floating cases are nice for traveling to and from the blind or area you hunt. I take if you’re hunting in the cattails you’ll be holding your gun most of the time.

I put the camo wrap stretchy tape stuff on my nice wood Browning. Gives it a layer of protection and comes right off when you get home. It reminds me of the tan stretchy bandage tape but in camo.

I think its fine with some of the above mentioned steps. If you have a long walk through a marsh or swamp you might just leave it at home.

Cases help. I also take a gun stand depending on where Im hunting. They work well if you have a solid enough place to stake them.

I would echo what others have said above and add... if it's raining or the gun is wet for whatever reason, don't put the gun back in the case when you get back to the truck. That is when the rust process begins. When wet, I always leave my gun out of the case when driving home (if that's legal in your state), and break it down to clean it up upon arrival.

I would echo what others have said above and add... if it's raining or the gun is wet for whatever reason, don't put the gun back in the case when you get back to the truck. That is when the rust process begins. When wet, I always leave my gun out of the case when driving home (if that's legal in your state), and break it down to clean it up upon arrival.
Good pointer

It’s hard for me to take a nice gun duck hunting because it’s so muddy where I hunt. Definitely keep it in a case and clean it after the hunt!

Mud is absolutely the last concern when it comes to guns and hunting. It cleans up real easy and does not scratch.

See?
vQmDjsS.jpg

What you worry about is sudden impacts. They can double the investment you have in a gun in a millisecond.

rdMsjiQ.jpg

co08KCk.jpg

As others have said they are made to be used, I have taken both my perazzi and dt10 duck hunting multiple time in all weather. No different to shooting clays in the rain. Just make sure you dry it out well and slowly do it. Then oil it up well and put away

Here is my routine.....given my smoothies are not big money........ 1) Light coat of oil on the metal before heading out 2) Into a floating case out to the shooting spot 3) Clean, dry and reoil each day after the hunt. I have not spent top dollar on weapons to this point as they are engineering/functional pieces for me.......I see the art in some but couldn't have a gun that didn't have a "working" purpose for me. Take care of the weapon and use it for that purpose!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back