Breaks

Drake4

Just came across this..have no idea where it originated or if it is true. I'ts pretty much impossible to block public access in the 2 main units up there, so this could be stretching it quite a bit.

Missouri Breaks Sheep Hunt, Canned?
Aug 12 2010
Just talked to a guy that drew a Missouri Breaks sheep tag. He is in for the hunt of his life, well maybe??? Apparently, the outfitter has paid all of the area land owners to block access to the public hunters until the Governor’s tag hunter kills his ram. They have a 200+ picked out and have three guys sleeping with him in shifts for over 100 days now waiting for the season to open. Once they do kill the ram the outfitter gets a huge bonus payout if the ram does in fact score over 200 inches. Then the outfitter seems to be trying to sell the next biggest ram a 197-inch bruiser to any public hunter with a tag for the bargain price of $9,500!!!! The Gov. tag hunter will bring his helicopter in to look at the ram from the air before he waddles in to shoot it. Just to make sure it’s the type of ram he wants. Then, after both big rams are shot, the public access will be opened back up for the poor, public DIY “stiffs” to hunt their sheep, or clean up the scraps so to speak. Is this the type of hunting we all believe in?

Not me anyway. I respect wildlife way too much to be hunted down and killed that way. No trophy deserves to be killed like that. Congratulations MT Fish Wildlife and Parks, you have created another PR disaster for yourself and screwed over the bulk of your customers in the process.

In my opinion this type of hunting is systematically “re-writing” the records books devaluing their importance as a true historical comparison.

This story is proof that the average hunter is losing opportunity by the very system that was put in place to create it. Expand this throughout the West and you have a very corrupt and un-level playing field for the average guy to hunt under.

I will no longer belong to any conservation organization that auctions these open ended tags. It’s bad for the sport and bad for our image as hunters. In addition, I am openly asking each and every Western Governor to give those tags back to the people they belong to, the hunters. This system although had good intentions on the beginning has completely gone awry with waste, greed and corruption.

These are just my personal thoughts and opinions on the subject. What are yours?

Guy Eastman
Publisher

What a joke. How is that any different than what Guy Eastman himself participates in on his regular trips to Montana for deer and antelope hunting with his outfitter "Big Shooter"? Big Shooter has landlocked public land and animals on his leases, which are inaccessible to the public unless they are his clients.

But now since it's a magnum bighorn, and magnum dollars involved (outside of Guy's budget)- it's suddenly a problem? Another example of the pathetic hypocrisy of Eastman's.
Eastman's Blog Link

Mike probably read it and decided Guy better tone it down...wouldnt want magazine subscriptions dropping off.

Wouldnt be able to afford landowner tags and guided hunts if that happened.

Mike probably read it and decided Guy better tone it down...wouldnt want magazine subscriptions dropping off.

Wouldnt be able to afford landowner tags and guided hunts if that happened.

That would be a shame.... : )

Can you say hypocritical the Eastman way?

You mean that you can actually hunt sheep in the breaks without hunting private land controlled by an outfitter? Get outta here!

It's a good year to be a guide in that country. A guy from Missoula that's not afraid to throw a lot of money at a hunt drew a tag.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back