PEAX Equipment

Breaking dogs from running trash

B

bcat

Just interested in what you guys do to break dogs from running trash. We have all had that thing happen to us sometime in our dog carreer, do you use a shock collar or what other method. I use a shock collar first, and if that dont work, I put them in a barrel with about three rocks and a deerhide (any age of hide it dont have to be fresh) and roll them off a hill for about 500 yards. If they have any tendency to chase deer or anything but what they are supposed to chase after the barrel trick, they get a bullet!!! bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

Bcat
I use the shock collar too but I also have had some tuff ones to breake.Moose is my biggest problem for the dogs will bay them just like a bear.Nothing terns a dog on to any game as much as baying it.This mite sound cruel to some of you but its the only sure fire way I have found to brake a dog from trash.I take a bottle of urine from the animal that's giving me the problem and pore it down the dogs throat till there very sick and puking it up.Workes every time.
I have used the barrel treatment also Bcat and had good luck with it too.I did have one dog that still ran deer after the barrel,But he sure was broke from going into barrels!!

------------------
We having fun yet//Tobey

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
That is funny Tobey! I never had to try the second time! Might be tough getting them in the barrel the second time tho!hehehe I lost my dog sled box off the back of my snowmobile trailer once, and it had dogs in it!!! I had a heck of a time with a couple of themn getting them back in a box!!! They still love me tho!! bcat

------------------
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

I dont have much deer trouble as I have a lot of deer in my yard right by the dogs, but about twice a year mine think they are coyote dogs I almost have a stroke, and my dogs know it, because as soon as I can get caught up close enough to yell, they shut up and dont want to come to me, Of course they will never do it when Ive got the shock collars on them. I have good luck with the tri tronics collars tho KW

i have used deer hide tied around the doggs front leggs. you have to tie it on tight enough so they have to chew it off. the trick is, i use "kiyan" pepper. i don't think that is spelled right. anyways load the hide up with the pepper and by the time they chew it off, they don't want nothin to do with a deer. seems to work for me, and they really enjoy that first bowl of water too...

Thumper-I dont have any right now to break but ole FLASH is about to be tested soon! A few more barn cat chases and we'll test him on deer. Might not need anything for him hes doning great. Might even get to go hunting this weekend if it will snow! They say its coming but hasnt got here yet. bcat

------------------
bcatrunningcat.gif

chambliss_4Logoboy.jpg

Hey guys in case you havent heard, theres dudes down south that use dogs to hunt deer, and a lot of us in the west that use them for yotes. Make some dough next time and advertise instead of shootin.
If you got a yote chaser and want only cat or bear I might trade, or somethin we try and do it all but sometimes you have to change.

LKASRUS-Welcome to Moosies forum!!! ANd thanks for the heads up. I have a future son in law from Texas and he said deer dogs are a dime a dozen in the south. I didnt figure there was any market. I have only had two or three in my lifetime that I couldnt break off of deer. They dont mess with the coyotes much either. Onece or twice we had a coyote wreck buyt the coyotes stasrted it by chasing the dogs. Thanks tho and welcome to the forum. What are the non-resident regulations for bear hunting in NM? Me and Thumper are looking to do a little bear chasing somewhere sometime. Got any good ideas? bcat

------------------
bcatrunningcat.gif

chambliss_4Logoboy.jpg

Thanks bcat
You can find the rules and regs at,
www.gmfsh.state.nm.us under the proclamation on page 25.
but here is the short version, Hunter must purchase license 2 days before "hunting"
all centerfire ok, shotgun withsinglr slug, and bow (no crossbow)
Pelt must be presented to F&g office within 5 days of harvest for tagging, unfrozen head with open mouthe for removal of one premolar toth also.
Bring you dogs, but watch the private and reservation lands.
No Baiting or Trapping #@@#!$%&**$# anti's.
Unit 52 around Chama is good (cruces basin wilderness)
Unit 5 lot of hound hunters here but can still be good.
Arizona border units 15 & 16..............
Bring your dogs give me a call and we'll hunt the state.

LKASARUS-Sorry i missed the post you made. I found it now tho!!!!! Just might have to do that sometime. Time is the problem for me. Thank you for putting the link up, and as soon as i am done I will check it out. Am compiling some info on Nevada also. This winter has been slow for us and its a good thing, because areas were closed so fast, due to low quotas, we hardly got to do much. What about bobcats. Can a guy run them with the dogs there at the same time as the lions? I understand you can but I will check the site out. Thanks again and stop by more often. I will check the posts out better
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
bcat

------------------
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

http://www.huntandlodge.com/Boykin/outfitter.html
www.huntandlodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

Try to get on front of the dogs and see what there running. I use shock collar. Try not to hunt young dogs with hounds that will trash.

@Blevins1997 this thread is nearly two decades old and I think bcat was kicked to the curb (banned) shortly thereafter. Just an FYI.....
I gotta make 10 post before I can start a thread. Not trying to be pushy or anything bad at all just trying to get those posts in lol. I’m sorry

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back