Brake or No Brake

88man

I have radial brakes on 3 rifles and 1 with more a lateral brake. Who loves brakes or hates them. My 12 year old daughter shots a 270 wsm with a brake and loves the gun.

No brake. Why brake a rifle? If you can't handle the recoil then step down in caliber are my thoughts. I can recover from a sore shoulder, but new ears is a lot more involved.

I personally like to have a brake. The extra noise can be an issue, but I keep a set of ear plugs around my neck when I'm hunting. Sometimes I don't have a chance to put them in, but most of the time I do. I don't mind the kick of a rifle, but subconsciously it must bother me because I usually start to flinch. I shoot much better with rifles with a brake.

As a person with a back injury, neck problems and significant hearing loss i can tell you usually i prefer no brakes and smaller calibers but a brake does allow me to hunt with a more powerful rifle than i normally could and during elk season and i apreciate that. I dont like to be undergunned and have massive respect for a elks toughness so my bigger bores i prefer brakes and ear plugs.

As a person with a back injury, neck problems and significant hearing loss i can tell you usually i prefer no brakes and smaller calibers but a brake does allow me to hunt with a more powerful rifle than i normally could and during elk season and i apreciate that. I dont like to be undergunned and have massive respect for a elks toughness so my bigger bores i prefer brakes and ear plugs.

How do you get the elk out of the field with your neck and back problems?

i love my brakes. They are loud but i carry ear plugs with me while hunting. My 7 year old daughter shoots my 300 RUM with a brake on it.

I'm starting to lean this direction...though the added cost is keeping me from it right now.

I was in the "WTH do I want one of those things for" camp for a long time. Best money I've ever spent on a hunting/shooting item. Find a buddy that has one and shoot a few rounds through one.

i love my brakes. They are loud but i carry ear plugs with me while hunting. My 7 year old daughter shoots my 300 RUM with a brake on it.

Interesting how the purchase of a RUM is usually quickly followed by the installation of a brake. mtmuley

I hate breaks. I don't care what people use to hunt, but man oh man, I refuse to shoot beside someone at the range with a gun that has a brake.

Last edited:
My OCD won't tolerate a 28" barrel. I do enjoy shooting other people's boomers off the bench

Amazing the difference it makes in recoil. I like mine.

If you don't want or need one on magnum calibers you are tougher than me, some guy you never met in a internet forum... congrats.

I never owned a rifle with a brake until this last year. Since then, I've added two "lightweight" rifles to my arsenal (a Kimber Mountain Ascent in 7mm mag, and a Kimber Adirondack in .308). They are both braked, and I was kind of shocked at the difference they made. They are the most pleasant shooting bolt guns I own - and also the two lightest. So put me in the believer camp. That said, I have not shot either rifle yet in a hunting situation without ear protection. Hope to get a chance on a mountain goat in two weeks with the Adirondack. I'll be packing ear-pro and am hopeful that any shot would allow me the appropriate time to stick it in.

I read years ago, John Barness I believe, who said that hearing damage occurs with brakes even if you’re wearing ear plugs and muffs. No thanks. I’m waiting for suppressors to become easier to buy.

I used to be against, but now I am kind of on both sides of this.

I think the amount of powder in the case makes a difference on how bad a brake is to be around. My only braked rifle is a MTN Ascent in 7mm-08, the blast is much less that some of the big magnums produce with a brake, and even at total weight of 5 1/2 pounds it is a dream to shoot.

Personally, the over-pressure created by a brake for the people around you is the worst part. Usually the person behind the rifle is the least bothered. When I shot my lion a couple of weeks ago, I had plugs and was really most concerned about the other guys under the tree. It is pretty cool watching the bullet impact....

I have a .300 wsm with a break (I wont pull the trigger without muffs).

I shoot a 6.5 x .284 without a break and love it as well.

As the saying goes "you do you".

IMO brakes have there time and place. With break need ear protection, but really we should be wearing it anytime we fire a gun. I have a consistent ringing in my ear from lack of hearing protection over the years.

For heavy recoil rifles a good break can greatly tame that. For long range shooting it helps to stay on target and spot shots.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back