Boys getaway

Chad Gus

Me and my son drew antelope tags in Wyoming, area 7 for him and 29 for me. We got to his hunt area a couple hours before dark and headed to a walk-in area. Hiked in about a mile and setup, spotted 3 about 700 hundred yards off, made a plan to loop around and hopefully cut them off. We made it a couple hundred yards before we seen a couple different ones coming over a hill, catching us in the open, we laid down and hoped they would work there way down to us. The second group ended up having 16 in it, only one of which was a buck. They made it to 411 yards, when i noticed another hunter off to my right making a play on them. He eventually spooked them and the game was over for the day. The next morning we spotted a lone buck on public, turned the car around abs found a spot to park about 3/4 of a mile away. Made our way over to a small rock outcrop that i figured would p put him in good position for a shot. We crawled up to the edge and peeked over and he was still there feeding. Got my son into position, using my backpack as a rest, we waited a few minutes for the buck to turn and give him a better shot. He started to turn and i ranged him at 263 yards and told Haydn to take his time and squeeze the trigger. His shot rang out and the bullet found it's mark, he ran about 75 yards and tipped over. After some congratulations and high fives and some pictures we broke the buck down and packed it back to the car to get it on ice, i carried all the meat and he got to carry the horns. I hoping someday he can do the heavy lifting and dear ol dad can take the light load. Now it's off to fill my tag, so we headed down to my area. Spent most of the rest of the day driving around checking things out. Eventually decided to hunt the second piece of public we found antelope on. Made it a couple hundred yards into my hike when i run into a buck, we stared each other down for a minute or so before he took off. I continued on and glassed up another group, i played cat and mouse with them the rest of afternoon. I couldn't get into the right position for a good shot and run out of daylight so i hiked back to the car and made a plan to come back in the morning. The next morning i spotted a lone buck at first light. Pretty sure it was the one i spooked the day before. He dropped behind a ridge and off i went to cut him off, i worked my way up a dry creek bed, i eventually see him getting a drink from a small pond about 150 yards away. I creep closer and he slowly feeds my way giving me a 85 yard shot. Screenshot_20201002-203421_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201004-104101_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201002-203327_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201002-203435_Gallery.jpg

Making fantastic memories and bringing home some really good groceries to boot. Congratulations to both of you.

I always think those little triangles are the smallest and coolest trophies. Leaving in a week to hunt with my Dad and can't wait.

I took my son back when he was 12 and he got his. Great memories. good job
I started taking my son on antelope hunts when he was six. It involved snacks, naps, some extra hunt planning and provisions, but the fun was well worth it. At twelve, he took his first two antelope, a deer, and a cow elk. In his forties now, he is an avid hunter whose son is following suit. License plate reads "HNTMAX"!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back