Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Bows?

If you buy a Hoyt or a Matthews I doubt you will be disappointed. Go try a few of them out, see which one fits you best, and which one you enjoy shooting the most. Some guys swear by BowTech as well and I don't have any issues with them by any means.

Pretty much every major manufacture is putting out top shelf quality bows these days, go to a local pro shop and shoot a variaty of bows then decide for yourself.

I agree with Gato just hit a pro shop and shoot as many as you can, you will find one that fits you and feels good that will be the one to go with.

Pretty much every major manufacture is putting out top shelf quality bows these days, go to a local pro shop and shoot a variaty of bows then decide for yourself.
So very true!! A few think my pard was a bit nutty, but he traded in his Mathews Switchback on a Martin Moab. He just shoots it better...

Story goes something like this.

Son comes home from college for Christmas. He and I go to the range and he asks to see my bow. A five year-old clunker. He likes it and says is it better than his youth model.

We come home and he tells mom that he needs a different bow. Mom, not wanting to have her son be off at college worrying that the bow he has back in MT just isn't up to par, tells husband (ME) to figure out a solution.

Easy answer. Since he admired mine and will shoot it so well, I tell her that he can have mine, and given that I will be hunting more than him while he is at college, I should get a new one.

She falls for it, all in the name of keeping her son from having to shoot a crappy bow.

So, I returned from the pro shop today with my brand new bow. Did feel guilty enough that I didn't buy a new sight or rest. Just plucked them off my bow. But since i had upgraded those last fall, they should suffice for a while.

And, it didn't even have to come out of my hunting budget. I am a lucky man! :p

Now if I could just get the kid to tell his mom that he needs a different vehicle. He could have my truck, and ..........

All the bows I shot were very nice. Like someone said, there aren't many bad bows being made these days.

I like your way of thinking! Now, can you somehow deduct the cost?

Being the CPA that I am, I think I have found a way to deduct that cost. And now if the wife complains, I will tell her it was deductible, and all will be fine.

I know this is a tough question and that shooting a bunch of bows is the way to go....but man, there are a ton. Anyone have some input on which ones to key in on in the $400-$500 range. I've had it with my old POS and am looking for a new one. Problem is...I'm going infor shoulder surgery in the morning and won't be able to shoot any bows for at least two months. This sucks. I have looked at some of the diamond and bowtechs. Any models you guys know of that I should look at as well?

- Coop

I prefer the Mathews myself don't have a Bowtech dealer close so don't know anything about them. I have the Switchback XT and the Drenalin and love them both but to me the XT is almost perfect it just feels awesome. Good luck with your surgery and decision what ever you buy I am sure you will be happy with.

Fin- Very nice. I'll have to file that stratedgy away for later... :D

coop- Martin has some very good bows IMO in that price range.

Surgery went well and I'll be back in the game in no time. Lots of time to look at bows on-line. One thing is for sure, everybody has an opinion.....Ford and Chevy. Thanks for the advice guys. I'll let you know in a few months what I end up with.

Les, couldn't find the guide series on the web site.....

I'm looking at the Stud from Diamond. Anybody know anything about it? It's a new bow so there's not much out there about it.

Little behind the times on this thread

Just bought a PSE Super Short

I looked at a ton of bows and have always been on the premis that if your going to buy something that you will use for years and years, get a bow that is

#1 Top of the line so it really doesn't go out of style after years of use

And

#2 Get a bow that feels exactly right

There are so many bows on the market with almost any shape and style, plus the technology is going into them that even the mid range bows are great bows

I've always had good luck with PSE, but I think everyone is right......most new bows these days are good. Just have to find something that fits you and feels right. I shot a hoyt one season and hated it. The limbs twisted on me twice and hoyt was good about fixing the bow and sending it back. Upon the second time, I sold it and went back to PSE. Shot my first PSE for over 10 years and now I'm back to PSE again. I've had my pro series for about 6 years now and I've never had a problem with it. It's a little louder than I'd like, but it kills things just the same.

My wife bought her first bow in 2007. It's a Bear with nothing fancy and not very fast. But she took a nice bull her first year and last year she took her first book bull @ 320". So needless to say, she likes it. A $50 bow will still kill an animal, it just depends on how "cool" you want to look in the field.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back