Bowhunting lopes

Butcher

Looking to go to wyoming for a first time antelope hunt. I was just wondering if bow season is as crowded as rifle season for some of the 0 point units? Is it easier to get into public access during archery season? I just don’t like the idea of being stacked on top of each other. Thanks

Welcome to Hunt Talk. Perhaps an introduction from you would help.

Zero point units often have poor access to public land. Unless you are looking at doe tags it is often tough to find a zero point area where you don't need to really study a map.

Welcome to HT. The public access is going to be the same. There will be a lot less people. I’d look for a unit where rifle doesn’t open until 10/1 for sure, and all the better if it’s a 10/15 opener. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Thanks! I figured it’d be less people, I’m just not sure if I wanna attempt hunting antelope with a bow for a first time lope hunt.
I’m from Iowa and all this draw and pref. Points is new to me. I’ve been studying the wy game site, its very helpful. I think I have a couple units narrowed down but unsure if I will hint this year with all the virus scare.
I live Close to a lot of public here in Ia and it can be scary at times during gun season. Bow season not so much.
When I get some more time I’ll fill out my profile, so I’m not a stranger.
One question I have is what is the antelope rut like? Anything like a deer? Where the bucks are oblivious to everything else? Thanks

Based on one year here, way less people. I bow hunted several times a week, all public. Got multiple stalk attempts most days, starting from the truck.

Same area opener of rifle was wall to wall trucks, tents and people where for weeks I had to myself. Wife and I gave up after 2 days and waited for the crowds to go away

Reactions: LCH
I appreciate the info! So a few days after it opens the crowds really dwindle down. Would it best to wait a week or just a few days after the opener then? If it wasn’t for the covid quarantine I’d attempt archery this year.

Totally dependent on the unit. There will be some units that you pretty much will have the place to yourself and others were the weekend will see traffic. It all depends on the location and the amount of tags giving out. I tend to think that if you're expecting solitude in most cases you're in for a disappointment.

If you want to try bow hunting for antelope and dont have points try South Dakota they are guarantee draw for archery and tags are reasonably priced.

If your plan is to set up a blind on a public land water source you may find other fellows setting blinds on the same water source.

I was hopin to go out to wyoming this year as part of a family vacation. But it all depends if things get opened up. It’d be more of just seeing the land, access and getting out. My expectations to kill something would be low. I don’t have a blind, so it’d be totally dependent on the lay of the land. I’ll definitely check out South dakota! Thanks for the replies

Pressue isnt a issue for archery lope, i dont think i have ever seen a additional bow hunter during weekdays. Watch for rifle bow overlaps cause that will mess you up, wy will scheduale type 6 doe rifle tags during archery dates. Access may be worst as crazy as it sounds, some ranchers will not allow archery in there ag fields, guess they fear lost arrows. If your strickly archery my best advice is pick a area that has some cover. some zones are mostly ankle high grass and rolling hills, some tall sage with drains and rocky outcrops..which one is easier to stalk in...good luck

Noted! Will definitely have to do some more research on the terrain features and dates. Thanks for the heads up on the farmers

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back