Bowfishing Montana ??

Bucnutz.wis

Hey Friends,

I'm just wondering if the are any Bowfishing opportunities in Montana ?? We're planning a Archery Elk Hunt in the upcoming years and would like to tie in some bowfishing excursions on our scouting trips if at all possible. Any help is appreciated :cool: - Thanks !!

Please, go to Canyon Ferry Res. and shoot all the carp you can hit. Lots of guys do it, but we need more guys doing it.

It look like just a short nose gar to me Im pretty sure you dont get into gator gars until around oklahoma and texas

I just have to wonder why you would want to shoot carp or gar in MT? You can do that in WI, so why not do something in MT that you can't do in Wi like shooting some prarie dogs? and calling in Yotes is a lot easier there too compared to WI. Just food for thought.

Do you know what part of the state you're going to be hunting?
It's only legal East of the divide, However there is one reservoir full of them in the far SW part of the state, just east of the divide.

I just have to wonder why you would want to shoot carp or gar in MT? You can do that in WI, so why not do something in MT that you can't do in Wi like shooting some prarie dogs? and calling in Yotes is a lot easier there too compared to WI. Just food for thought.

Good question... I thought someone might ask.

The simple answer - we gotta eat !! :eek:

Prairie dog and coyote taste like skunk. :p There is nothing like Carp over a Campfire with a Cooler full of ice Cold beer.:rolleyes:

Actually, the boat will also be used for a scouting tool.

Do you know what part of the state you're going to be hunting?
It's only legal East of the divide, However there is one reservoir full of them in the far SW part of the state, just east of the divide.

Thanks - that we didn't know - a assume the gar are found in most river systems as well ??

Not sure exactly which area yet, this will be our first in Montana.

Have you ever eaten Gar? I heard they are good, but never had it. Carp, on the other hand i will usually pass.

Have you ever eaten Gar? I heard they are good, but never had it. Carp, on the other hand i will usually pass.

No, I haven't tried Gar - even though I used to live in Texas and shot several nice long nose while there.

I have had Florida Alligator that my brother & I shot back in 96 - tasted like regurgitated chicken and tougher then woodpecker - But then again, we're not gourmet chef's either. It tastes much better in a restaurant.

You must have to drink a lot of beer before the carp tastes good. Of course I've never eaten carp...I was always told it was nasty tasting so I never gave it a try.

Back