PEAX Equipment

Bow vs. Rifle

1_pointer

Let's say the goal is to just kill an elk. The general seasons in UT are the following:

Archery: 8/15-9/6 or 9/15 depending on unit. Extended archery areas go from 8/15-12/15 or 12/31. Any elk can be taken (spike or any bull depending on unit).

Rifle: 10/3-10/15. Bulls only (spike or any bull depending on unit).

Muzzleloader: 10/28-11/6. Bulls only (spike or any bull depending on unit).

As with most areas/states, the rifle hunts are way more crowded than either the archery or muzzleloader. Most spike bull hunts are in Limited Entry units. So, even if you can shoot 'em, one should still see quite a few of the bigger bulls.

Which would be your choice??? I guess what I'm really asking, is the ability to take any elk during the rut with a bow easier than having to find a bull with a firearm post-rut?

Extended archery, with that ridiculously long season, would probably be my choice.
Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about elk hunting in UT.

If the goal is just to kill an elk, I'd buy a cow tag in CO. ;)

Archery has the most potential in my opinion to kill a bull..other than that listen to oak and get that cow tag

Just to clarrify, I still plan on applying for a cow tag in UT. But, am very interested in doing a general hunt as well.

Maybe I should have made this a poll... ;)

1 pointer, being that I would rather bow hunt than gun hunt anytime, would have to go for the bow hunt. more time to hunt. and believe the challenge is a bit harder with the bow.

In my experience the elk are easier to find and get closer to during the rut hunts. But I always seem to get close to bulls during cow hunts and close to cows during bull hunts....so I'm afraid if you had and either sex tag you might see nothing but deer.

1 Pointer..the extended archery areas are tricky though. I found that out last year after going through the same decision process you are doing now. The Wasatch Front is the only one that is public land. The one down south (Sanpete? or is it Sevier?) is all private land to the west of Skyline drive, and it isn't the land right next to the national forest. I also believe the Unitah section is private land. If either of those 2 areas have public land I missed it when reviewing the maps and borders. This year I am going to make sure I put my priority on the general season with archery instead of relying on the extended area.

Gotcha Tim. Yes, the majority of the Sanpete and Uintah Extended areas are nearly all private. However, some of the Uintah now is accessible through the Walk In program.

1--If you just want to kill an Elk for meat, get, as has been said before, an OTC Colorado tag!
2--My first 6X6 was in NM at 250 yds. My mounted 360's was in AZ at 340 yds , down Mtn in Hell Hole, corrected for guessed at slope....both would have walked with a Bow....

Tom-
Congrats on the bulls!! Any pics? Due to personal finances, I'll probably try the OTC thing here in UT...hence my question.

What kind of pressure would you have in archery season? If its not terrible, I'd go that way no doubt about it. Longer season, you can spend time scouting and the elk will probably still be in the same area, you'll have first shot at the elk, the hunt isn't dependant on snow/weather, etc. The weather isn't miserable either.

I love puttting the smack down on elk with a rifle, but I'd pick an archery hunt every time over an eual rifle hunt, i.e. 'general' hunt or OTC hunt etc.

I think the advantage goes to archery hunting in the rut vs rifle hunting post rut no question. Based on my limited experience... I would say on average I see twice as many elk in September vs. Oct/Nov and at least 2-3 times as many bulls.

Bambi- As far as pressure, don't know as I haven't hunted elk during archery in UT. You thoughts sorta reaffirm what I was thinking, but having shot a total of one elk, I thought I'd get some other advice. Besides, I can only read about landowner issues/tags in MT for so long... ;)

I look at it like this...

My odds of seeing bulls in the rut is about 2-3 times higher vs post rut.

My odds of seeing a mature bull is 5x greater in the rut vs post rut.

My odds of killing an elk with a bow is about 20% that of a rifle give or take.

So... the odds of killing a mature bull in rifle season vs bow season is virtually the same, however I'll see more bulls, more elk in general, few people, nice weather, etc in archery season. Really no down side to it unless I really wanted to kill an elk. In that case, I'd take Oaks advice.

So... the odds of killing a mature bull in rifle season vs bow season is virtually the same, however I'll see more bulls, more elk in general, few people, nice weather, etc in archery season.
That's what I'm hoping for! Archery tags in UT are for either sex, so hopefully I'll have a better chance of being 'successful'. Now if I can just find the time this summer to do some scouting...

Back