Bow suggestion for taller guy?

R.K.

Long story short, I'm looking for a different bow.

Does anybody have a suggestion for a decent bow somebody that stands 6'2"? Looking for a 70-lb draw weight, draw length up to 31", and at least 34" ATA. Would like to keep it under $500 for a bare bow- I have spare a sight and rest from previous upgrades. definitely in the market for a used boat, in this price range.

Wanting to build some 550+ grain arrows for this, as well, with broadheads that I can sharpen, hone, and strop myself (thinking single bevels).

I'm 6'6" and shoot an old Elite pure w 31" draw (31.5 incl. D-loop). You could certainly pick up an Elite Energy 35 in your price range and they go to 31" w the correct cam module.

Haven't looked to upgrade my bow recently but probably about time, so watching to see what others say about more current models.....

I would look around see if you can find a Bowtech Boss on ebay or used. I picked mine up 3 years ago fro 850 with a bunch of extra's. I would only warn that it has newer limbs as the older ones they had an issue with limbs that they were having an outside company build. Mine delaminated on me. Im 6'4", with a 32 draw and I have loved how this bow shoots. When I was shopping around then the Prime bows shot really well as well I was up in the air on which way to go.

As far as arrow setup with that kind of draw shouldnt be to hard to get that weight out of the arrows you will need a decently stiff spine anyways which will up the grains per inch, go with a 125gr up front.

I'm 6'2" and shoot an Elite Impulse 34 at 70lb, though I think my draw length is 29.5 or 30. Probably can find one in that price range. I think I paid about that for one new, but on sale.

Good suggestions! Looks like I need to be looking into Elite a bit more.

My draw length should be 30.5" according to charts, and my bowtech is chewing up servings when set at at 30", so I have it backed down to 29.5". Just feel jammed up when at full draw, and string angle is putting my head in an awkward position. Not to mention I have the rest all the way to the riser, and that's the closest to "tuned" I can get without getting fletching contact.

I shot a Bowtech Experience for many years (it is now my backup and still shoots great). I bet you could get one of those for under $500 now and it was a flagship bow at the time. I now shoot a Mathews Traverse which is a bit higher as a used item but I shoot it even better than the Bowtech. I would definitely stay 32" ATA and above. I went below that and had a tough time

X2 on the Bowtech Experience bow . You can adjust your draw leangth , easy to tune and they shoot great. I had a Mathews Z7Extreme and it was too Short for me .,.. never could shoot it. Bought the Experience and it is still my go to bow.

Just my 2 cents. Most bow makers do not build a tall-person specific model bow. PSE offers probably the most models built specificly for a tall guy. Most other bow brands modify one of their models to "fit" a longer draw length or, they only offer a single model made for taller guys. Modified models are not typically the best shooting - my opinion. I would highly suggest looking into the longer axle-to-axle length models from PSE. If you take a hard look through the Archery Talk forum, you will find a majority of tall guys shoot PSE bows. Again, my 2 cents. Your mileage may vary.

Long story short, I'm looking for a different bow.

Does anybody have a suggestion for a decent bow somebody that stands 6'2"? Looking for a 70-lb draw weight, draw length up to 31", and at least 34" ATA. Would like to keep it under $500 for a bare bow- I have spare a sight and rest from previous upgrades. definitely in the market for a used boat, in this price range.

Wanting to build some 550+ grain arrows for this, as well, with broadheads that I can sharpen, hone, and strop myself (thinking single bevels).

Used PSE Evoke 35SE - I'm not tall but that's what I have and like it a lot. Pretty forgiving. Strickland's Archery Helix broadhead might be a good one for you. Single bevel, accurate and comes in 100 gn to 250 gn I believe. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-PSE-E...971988?hash=item5b7a01f2d4:g:eSgAAOSwcRNfDc8g

a used mathews conquest pro might fit the bill. couple of tall and long draw guys i know love them so much they have never got rid of them.

I have a 32” draw length. I shoot a 2012 Mathews Z9. It’s tough having draw length longer than 30”. I tend to hold on to a bow a lot longer than I would if I had a normal draw length.

Hoyt makes a longer axle to axle bow with longer draws. I'm 6'2 my draw is 31. I shoot a hout carbon spider 34. It wasnt cheap but I love shooting that bow just a natural feel I shoot better with that bow than any other bow I've had including pse ,Matthew's, elite, biotech, and other hoyt models. Just my experience.

If you’re chewing up cables at the longer draw, you have a bow problem.
If your rest is all the way to the riser, you most certainly have a bow problem.
Get that fixed.
I used to be 6’4. I wouldn’t touch a bow shorter than 35” for love or money; the string angle will force you to lower your head too much. Plenty of longer axle bows out there that kill animals; reckoning 38 or some of the pse in black would work just fine for hunting.

If you’re chewing up cables at the longer draw, you have a bow problem.
If your rest is all the way to the riser, you most certainly have a bow problem.
Get that fixed.
I used to be 6’4. I wouldn’t touch a bow shorter than 35” for love or money; the string angle will force you to lower your head too much. Plenty of longer axle bows out there that kill animals; reckoning 38 or some of the pse in black would work just fine for hunting.

I've had the bow to two different shops that cater to high-level competition shooters, and they haven't found the issue.

There's an old thread on archery talk that showed a lot of people had this tuning issue with this model bow, and went to shoot-through cables to eliminate the cable roller and the associated torque.

With all of those issues, I've decided that enough is enough, and I'm going to get something that fits me properly, instead of just "whatever is on the rack". The problem now is timing- will I have enough time to get a new bow set up, tuned, and ready for season? Gonna be close...

Mathews Halon X might fit the bill. Ive had good luck with mine. 35" axle to axle and shoots like a dream. SHouldn't be an issue to find a bare bow cheaper than $500

I’m 6’4” and a 31.5 draw length. Been shooting a Hoyt Maxxis 35 since 2012

I've had the bow to two different shops that cater to high-level competition shooters, and they haven't found the issue.

There's an old thread on archery talk that showed a lot of people had this tuning issue with this model bow, and went to shoot-through cables to eliminate the cable roller and the associated torque.

With all of those issues, I've decided that enough is enough, and I'm going to get something that fits me properly, instead of just "whatever is on the rack". The problem now is timing- will I have enough time to get a new bow set up, tuned, and ready for season? Gonna be close...

I wouldn't have a problem getting a bow the day before season but I've been doing this for a long time. I like the new Bowtechs and their cam drive. The new PSE's tune easily with everything set down the middle. Lots of choices out there, you just need to shoot a few and find the one that fits.

I wouldn't have a problem getting a bow the day before season but I've been doing this for a long time. I like the new Bowtechs and their cam drive. The new PSE's tune easily with everything set down the middle. Lots of choices out there, you just need to shoot a few and find the one that fits.

Agreed. Problem is that the selection is limited right now- only one used bow in the Billings shop that went past 30". So right now I'm looking at getting suggestions here, then buying used on archery talk classifieds. Risky, but budget is a major factor.

I'm 6'3" and new to archery, but I got a Quest Thrive (made by G5/Prime) and love it. It is 34" ATA and up to 31" draw length. Its a bit north of $500 but was worth it to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskeyRiver
Back