MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Bow hunter fatally shot in San Juan National Forest

my wife and i were talking about this incident in the car the other day.

a couple years ago, she came to the conclusion that she didn't want to pursue the wyoming doe pronghorn tags i drew for her after i had a her spend some time target shooting out on the blm at different ranges. reason being, she just couldn't feel confident and competent with rifle and was not going to go about shooting at living things because of that. i commended her for that and told she absolutely didn't have to hunt, ever, if she didn't want to.

i don't think many will be in favor of such a thing, but i'm starting to wonder if it's time that hunter education certificates start becoming a "have to get recertified every 5 years" type of thing.

i'm not sure it would make a difference, but we need to start forcing people to think more about what they're doing on a regular basis. maybe we can find a way to start failing people out of hunting, frankly. there's just no excuses for these accidents anymore, not that there hardly ever were.

i do hope this guy spends a healthy chunk of time in prison, not that any punishment will be worse than what he's feeling and will carry with him for the rest of his life. but hunting accidents need to stop being labeled as accidents and people need to see the example, that if you f&*k up this hard, your normal life as a citizen is over.

my wife and i were talking about this incident in the car the other day.

a couple years ago, she came to the conclusion that she didn't want to pursue the wyoming doe pronghorn tags i drew for her after i had a her spend some time target shooting out on the blm at different ranges. reason being, she just couldn't feel confident and competent with rifle and was not going to go about shooting at living things because of that. i commended her for that and told she absolutely didn't have to hunt, ever, if she didn't want to.

i don't think many will be in favor of such a thing, but i'm starting to wonder if it's time that hunter education certificates start becoming a "have to get recertified every 5 years" type of thing.

i'm not sure it would make a difference, but we need to start forcing people to think more about what they're doing on a regular basis. maybe we can find a way to start failing people out of hunting, frankly. there's just no excuses for these accidents anymore, not that there hardly ever were.

i do hope this guy spends a healthy chunk of time in prison, not that any punishment will be worse than what he's feeling and will carry with him for the rest of his life. but hunting accidents need to stop being labeled as accidents and people need to see the example, that if you f&*k up this hard, your normal life as a citizen is over.
Because I'm an adult onset hunter, and because I've helped friends and gotten my bow hunter card etc. I've now done the class 3 times.

Not sure I'd make it mandatory... but it's a great refresher.

Not sure I'd make it mandatory... but it's a great refresher.

i'm not sure i would either. i hate legislating for the lowest common denominator.

i can't help but wonder if these things keep happening that will also cause cpw to reconsider some of this insanity in regards to how many folks they're putting in the woods.

i'm not sure i would either. i hate legislating for the lowest common denominator.

i can't help but wonder if these things keep happening that will also cause cpw to reconsider some of this insanity in regards to how many folks they're putting in the woods.
What concurrent:
Archery Elk
Archery Deer
Archery Bear
Rifle Bear
Rifle Deer
Muzzy Elk
Muzzy Deer
Muzzy Bear
Small game shotgun
+sheep/goat/moose various rifle/archery/ muzzy seasons

All in the same unit isn't a great idea?

September in CO is always interesting.

A week ago yesterday I received a notification of a voicemail on my phone when I came back into cell service. Upon listening to the voicemail I dropped my phone to the ground in disbelief. A former coworkers firearm had been accidentally discharged while hunting behind his house. Yesterday, I went to his funeral. My former coworker was a law enforcement officer, a hunter education instructor, a lifelong hunter, and I had spent many days hunting with him even after we were no longer coworkers. He left behind a wife and 2 children that he talked about endlessly. No one that knew my friend would have ever imagined that a firearm accident could happen to him. The bottom line is accidents can happen no matter how experienced a person is with and around firearms. When we are in the presence of a firearm we must always remember the rules of firearm safety including keeping your muzzle pointed in a safe direction, keeping the safety on and our fingers outside the trigger guard until we are ready to fire, and knowing what is in front of and behind our intended target. Anything a person can do to lessen the chance of a firearm accident is a wise decision. I have archery hunted during muzzleloader seasons both elk in Colorado and whitetail deer in Iowa. Rest assured if I am hunting or hiking during a firearm season whether required by law or not I will be wearing at least a hat, a coat, or a vest of blaze orange.

I called in a muzzy hunter in ‘18, idiot walked in with his gun pointed right at me while I was cow calling… also didn’t have on a stitch of blaze.

Im also shocked by how oblivious some hunters are esp NR. Had two archers walk across the opposing ridge and sit down in the open, while we were bear hunting last weekend. They were totally sky lined, didn’t notice the deer 80 yards behind them on the ridge, and it took them over an hour to notice us, two dudes in blaze orange 250 yards directly in front of them. SMH 🤦‍♂️
I don't cross paths with a lot of hunters here, but it's terrifying how close I can get to them without being noticed, when I do. Sometimes, I'm 30 feet away, walking towards them through the crunchy leaves and they haven't seen me yet. I don't get it.

In pa for years we many overlapping. The one that scares me is the mid October inline muzzy season for does . It runs for a week.on the last 3 days junior and seniors can use regular rifles. Our regular archery is going on same time. And then a couple years ago they also made bear legal that week for archery,muzzy,and for junior and seniors rifles on the last 3 days. In most of the state not much has changed from the summer canopy. Things are still very thick. But like many have said you must be 110% sure before you pull the trigger. Everyone be safe this fall.

When I was a teenager I was deer hunting and sitting still when a schoolmate walks by and I made myself known and he sat and chatted with me for a while. Suddenly he stands up and shoots up the hill behind us. I asked him what he shot at and he said he saw something move in the bushes. I reprimanded him for that and asked what he was shooting out of his 20 ga. He said 00 buck, I said they don't make 00 buck for 20 Ga, only smaller buck loads. Then he said he makes his own loads and opens one up for me, it was loaded with dimes and various other items.
OMG !

My buddy and I talked about this yesterday as well leaving WY after chasing grouse from heavily used recreational trailheads all weekend.

My son is doing Hunter Ed now and I'm doing it with him. Like wllm, it will be my 3rd time around and I'm actually excited for it. In todays age of the internet, collaborative communications and educational platforms and even VR, it's not the logistical challenge that it would have been years ago to deliver/participate in a refresher course.

My buddy and I talked about this yesterday as well leaving WY after chasing grouse from heavily used recreational trailheads all weekend.

My son is doing Hunter Ed now and I'm doing it with him. Like wllm, it will be my 3rd time around and I'm actually excited for it. In todays age of the internet, collaborative communications and educational platforms and even VR, it's not the logistical challenge that it would have been years ago to deliver/participate in a refresher course.

hell, states could waive application fees, or ever so slightly reduce license fees, or who knows what kind of incentive, for those that provide a hunter education number that shows you've been recertified in one of the previous 5 years or something.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back