Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Bourbon Connoisseurs

It's not truly a bourbon, but I've really enjoyed Balcones Brimstone. Priced on the top end of what I'm willing to spend, at about 50 bucks, but for a treat, yeah. There's a lot going on when you start sipping.

Never had it. I did try some Thomas Handy ( 800-1000 a bottle) a few months ago at a company dinner where a guy was bragging about his bourbon collection being close to 6 figures. I smiled, took a sip, and said "Man that is something to just piss it away".

It was good, but wasn't that good... IMO.

I am a big fan of Basil Hayden and Bulleit.

I've gone through three bottles of Pappy 20, and traded the fourth. I love wheaters and it is very very good, but not worth the price it commands right now. A buddy, who loves wheaters as well turned me on to this bottling of Jeffersons Ocean Special Wheated....we both agree, it's Pappy good.

My next door neighbor brought over a bottle of Blanton's saturday evening. Good bourbon. Our conversation turned to dream bourbons. Does anyone have Pappy Van Winkle reviews? I'd like to try it, but price is a little steep.
One of my clients brought me a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle. I dont like it any better than Makers or Buffalo Trace. I been drinking Kentucky bourbon for 35 years. I dont consider myself an expert but I know what tastes good to me. I don't dislike PVW it just doesn't do anything more for me than other cheaper bourbons. That would be my honest review.

I enjoy bourbon, but am far from a connoisseur. I had a "friend" over this past weekend who fancies himself a connoisseur. He brought a couple bottles to sample along with my collection and we compared them all. We universally concluded that there was no apparent or consistent difference between the bourbons we tried ranging from $20 (Costo Small Batch - get you some!) and his $170 Peyton Manning endorsed bottle. We had several in between.

I've concluded over the years that "quality" is probably the least impactful driver of cost when it comes to bourbon. Sure an 8 year bourbon is going to cost more than a 3 year (all things being equal) and the 8 year will likely have more quantities that we tend to describe as "good." However, when comparing 8 year bourbons to other 8 years, I believe it comes down more to personal preference than one being adherently better than the other.

That being said, I'm a big fan of experiences and sharing in unique opportunities. It's why I hunt trophy country with good friends instead of paying for canned hunts. Therefore, I would really enjoy trying something as rare as Pappy with someone who would appreciate like my dad or brother. Not because I would expect it to be the best thing I ever had, but because it would be a unique opportunity and a cool memory.

Side note - I have an empty Willet bottle that I have refilled a dozen times with a plastic handle of Old Crow ($12 at CVS for a half gallon) that I leave in my bar cart. When we host and have parties that cool looking Willet bottle gets hit 2:1 of any other. I have had multiple hipsters bypass my Costco small batch to drink up the fake Willet because they prefer the "good chit." Further, I've had several Willet drinkers (guys claiming to 'love' willet) drink from it and not notice.

If you eat with your eyes then you drink with your mind.

My wife bought me a bottle of 10yr pappy for my 50th birthday.
It's ok, but as rwc101 said, I'd take Michters or Buffalo Trace over it any day(actually had Michters last night)
If you can find it, Weller Special Reserve is smooth!
Our ABC stores here in Va have had notifications via Facebook or email when they have an allocated bourbon drop at local stores. I've picked up Blanton's, Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace and a bottle of Elijah Craig barrel proof in the drops. The Elijah Craig is really good!

I've had PVW several times and would take Blantons, Four Roses Small batch, etc over it every day. Its good, but its not $100 a shot good.

Henry McKenna Bottled in Bond
Old Forester (preferably bottled in bond) my personal favorite
Evan Williams Bottled in Bond...best low price bourbon out there IMO and punches in the $50/bottle price for around $19
Michters...I like their rye for fancy drinks
Old Granddad 114 is another high rye bourbon on my list.
Buffalo Trace is a mixing bourbon...pour it in an old fashion or with some coke but to me it's recent hype isn't justified

Notice no mention of Blantons or Pappy's. I've never had Pappy and hear it is extremely overrated. Personally I think Blanton's in a one note wonder and only gains attention because it's expensive

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back