PEAX Equipment

Border closure and spring outfitting season

The ongoing border closure is no longer a COVID issue, but a political one. There is still no plan in place, again, we don't want to know when, we want to know how we'll get there. Two of the top first world nations can't even sit down and have a plan in place for the world's longest undeffended border. Shameful.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Reactions: OMB
Off topic, but I’m planning to bring a hound pup across the border from southern BC into Montana in September. Do any of you guys travel across the border and could pick up a pup and bring it to the Roosville or Browning/Havre border crossing? I’m willing to pay a small amount.

I hope COVID goes away and people start dying again of normal diseases/sickness.

Off topic, but I’m planning to bring a hound pup across the border from southern BC into Montana in September.

If non essential is still restricted travel at land borders:

Unless you are able to satisfy the CBSA and US Officers that the hound is directly involved in your primary business income... it's classified as non essential and you'll need to wait until land borders open for non essential travel.

I.e. your primary business is directly related to that hound purchase... k9 Officer w/ direct formal letterhead from whatever county made an agreed purchase of said hound.

Edit to clarify...

CBSA if you're requesting to enter their country. CBP doesn't care at that point as you're a USC returning home.

CBP if the seller is requesting to enter the U.S. *Be sure if you go this route, proof the purchase was made prior otherwise the Canadian may be denied/barred 5 years as they are not legally allowed to sell and receive payment in the US. (I.e. working in the US w/o status/authorized visa)

If non essential is open to travel at land borders:

No problem bringing a puppy from canada into US. They used to require minimal 4 months w/ proof of rabies that has since been dissolved.
Only point you may encounter if the officer believes your use is business related then a user fee may apply of $13.50

Last edited:
It's really sad that we can't come to a agreement on the border. Our nations relations right now are at a all time low, the new lumber tariffs, Line 5 etc. will only make it worse. I hope this can be resoled soon

Off topic, but I’m planning to bring a hound pup across the border from southern BC into Montana in September. Do any of you guys travel across the border and could pick up a pup and bring it to the Roosville or Browning/Havre border crossing? I’m willing to pay a small amount.

I hope COVID goes away and people start dying again of normal diseases/sickness.
Wish I could help but I don't go back to Montana to hunt birds till October and my little Jimmy will be full of stuff and my two dogs. It's pretty cramped. And I prefer to cross at Rainy River in MN. Have taken the TransCanada west many times but that's a very indirect route that swings way north through Winnipeg, etc. Hope you find someone. We'll see how things play out by October. I may be able to come pick up your pup at Havre if I'm not stuck in a quarantine when I cross. I'm still a US citizen so no problem moving across the border ... in normal times. However, I have an elk tag this year so it is more likely I'll be tied up there into November.

As long as the dog is declared and duties paid when bringing into US, there should be no problem. You have done your business end in Canada not US so not violating any employment regulations. Or it's a gift. There's always that loophole.

It's really sad that we can't come to a agreement on the border. Our nations relations right now are at a all time low, the new lumber tariffs, Line 5 etc. will only make it worse. I hope this can be resoled soon
for those in Alberto, cancelling Keystone didn't help improve relations between the countries.

as of today

approx 45% have one shot in Nunavut
approx 65% have one shot in N.W.
approx. 70% have one shot in Yukon

various conspiracy theories regarding the virus, the vaccines, the relationship between countries, border opening --100 %

If we can’t agree on when and how the border should open then let’s post pictures about something we can agree on; why the border needs to be opened for sportsman! If you are from the United States post a picture about why you want to cross the border to the North again. If you are from Canada post a picture of why you want to cross to the south again.

46” pike from Lake of the Woods!

1623068391904.png

If we can’t agree on when and how the border should open then let’s post pictures about something we can agree on; why the border needs to be opened for sportsman! If you are from the United States post a picture about why you want to cross the border to the North again. If you are from Canada post a picture of why you want to cross to the south again.

46” pike from Lake of the Woods!

View attachment 185166
Okay I’ll play, this is why I wanna go south
263F9091-265B-4157-BE94-D583AF07EC6C.png

But, if it doesn't, maybe head west to Alberta and Saskatchewan / But hope you get to hunt, west AND south ;)
Too many Provinces have strict guide/outfitter requirements which is a shame. Still managed to hunt MB last fall and will do so again if the border stays closed.

(Warning kinda long🤷🏻‍♂️) From my daughter (who resides in Canada) in today’s paper:

Fully vaccinated Canadian travellers can soon return home without 14-day quarantine: Ottawa
STEVEN CHASESENIOR PARLIAMENTARY REPORTER
MARIEKE WALSH
PUBLISHED 3 HOURS AGO
UPDATED JUNE 9, 2021

By early July, fully vaccinated Canadians and permanent residents who return home from travelling will be able to skip mandatory 14-day quarantine, as long as they test negative for COVID-19, the federal government announced Wednesday.

Health Minister Patty Hajdu said rising vaccination rates and lower case counts are behind the planned easing of border restrictions. Dominic Leblanc, Minster of Intergovernmental Affairs, cautioned these changes will only be implemented if new COVID-19 case counts keep dropping and vaccination efforts “continues to go well.”

The government said, however, that only vaccines approved in Canada will be accepted when determining whether an incoming traveller counts as fully vaccinated. This list currently includes the vaccines made by AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson and Pfizer and Moderna.

The approved list does not include Russian- or Chinese-made vaccines used elsewhere in the world, but Ottawa said it will continue evaluating other vaccines for possible approval.

Under the envisioned changes, returning travellers would be required to present a negative COVID-19 screening test taken prior to their return trip and also submit to a COVID-19 test upon arrival back in Canada.

The ministers did not provide a specific date for these new rules but only said early July.

The changes unveiled Wednesday would mean qualifying return travellers can self-isolate at home until their COVID test comes back. Once the traveller received confirmation that their return COVID test was negative, they would no longer be under isolation restrictions.

Only about eight per cent of Canadians are fully vaccinated now – while 63 per cent have received one dose – but the number of double-dosed individuals is expected to rise quickly. Canada is expecting to have received 45 million to 46 million doses in total by the end of June. That’s enough to give all eligible Canadians their first shot and cover second shots for about one-third.

This would represent the first phase of easing of COVID-19-related travel restrictions in CAnada.

Canadians or permanent residents who are non-essential travellers are currently required to quarantine for 14 days upon their return in Canada. Travellers also face several testing requirements before and after travelling, and people who arrive by air have to stay at a quarantine hotel for up to three days. People who enter Canada by land are not required to go to a government-sanctioned hotel.

At least 25 countries, including France, Spain and Denmark have announced border reopening plans for vaccinated travellers from some countries. This list also includes jurisdictions in the Caribbean, such as the Bahamas or British Virgin Islands, and some in Central or South America, such as Belize, Guatemala and Ecuador. In many cases, countries require a negative COVID-19 test and official proof of vaccination and some allow unvaccinated travellers provided they test negative for COVID-19.

Provinces in Canada are divided over exactly when to relax travel restrictions and the Ontario government has recently blamed Ottawa for not doing enough to stop COVID-19 cases from entering Canada via “porous borders.”

It remains unclear how travellers entering Canada would prove that they were fully vaccinated.

The Canadian government is planning a phased approach to relaxing travel restrictions. Non-essential travel has been restricted for more than one year, including a ban on direct flights from other countries including Britain – now lifted – and another on direct flights from India and Pakistan.

American political and business leaders are increasing their pressure on Canada to provide a clear plan and timeline for normalizing travel across the Canada-U.S. border.

Canada’s quarantine hotels, provinces’ border rules: What you need to know about travel

What will Canadians fully vaccinated against COVID-19 be allowed to do? Calls grow for national guidelines

New York Congressman Brian Higgins, who is co-chair of the Northern Border Caucus and the Canada-U.S. Interparliamentary Group, said in a statement Tuesday that “it is clearly the beginning of the end” of the border shutdown.

“In conversations with government leaders on both sides of the border, we are learning plans are moving forward to provide for expanded crossing allowances. Action is long overdue,” he said in a statement.

A federally appointed panel recommended in a report, released on May 27, that Ottawa phase out quarantine hotels, end the quarantine requirement for fully vaccinated travellers and significantly shorten it for those who are partly vaccinated. The panel still recommended testing for all travellers, no matter their vaccination status.

Ottawa, at the time, said it would review the recommendations and consult with provinces and territories, but it gave no timeline for a change in policies and did not commit to enacting the expert advice.

The Canadian Chamber of Commerce, the Retail Council of Canada, the Business Council of Canada and Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters, among others, are urging Ottawa and Washington to agree on mutually recognized credentials that travellers can present to demonstrate they are fully vaccinated – commonly referred to as a vaccine passport or digital vaccine certificate – and hammer out a plan to lay out clear guidelines for all forms of transport.

Perrin Beatty, president of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, predicts vaccination credentials will be a permanent feature of international travel and has said Ottawa needs to put together national standards for generating and updating this certificate.

Recent polling suggested many Canadians are still hesitant about opening the Canada-U.S. border. A survey by Leger and the Association for Canadian Studies in early June found that 64 per cent of Canadian respondents oppose reopening the Canada-U.S. border this summer to allow American tourists into this country. Thirty-six per cent of those polled supported the idea. The study was conducted June 4 to June 6 and surveyed more than 1,500 adults in Canada.

Mayors of U.S. border towns have been particularly vocal in urging for a return to normal.

Christopher Rosenquest, mayor of Plattsburgh, N.Y., about 100 kilometres south of Montreal, said he can understand why Canadians may be apprehensive about opening the border. But his response to that concern is U.S. data showing low COVID-19 case rates.

“We do have a strong vaccination record here,” he said, adding that the U.S. should be sharing doses with Canadians. “Our tourism relies heavily on the Canadian dollar,” he said.

@MarvB some pics would be helpful. Not used to that much reading without some... pics. Just sayin. :)

Thanks for sharing... I think it may still be on (again as mentioned, w/ limitations) for June 22nd though not placing $ on it.

@Sytes I feel ya! She texted me that all excited (we’ve only seen her once in nearly two years) and it took me a few tries to get through the verbiage (and not burst her bubble). I shoulda asked for the Cliff Notes....

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back