Boots

Wapiti23

Hey guys I’m looking into a new pair of hunting boots and after some time on the web and reading reviews I’ve decided on getting some Crispi boots. What Crispis do you guys love and why?

I probably spend to much but for a mountain boot I have the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme, very nice boot and they have options for the wider, narrow, or normal toed fella. I've look at Crispis before, they look like a solid boot. Have you had a pair previously or first pair? you'll have to give us your review, id be interested in you thoughts!

Camp these would be my first. I have been wearing Danners for quite a long time and am looking for something better. The Kenetreks were my original choice but a friend has them and said they are great for the mountains and broken country but can be quite uncomfortable while walking on flatter more rolling terrain. Crispis seem to come up a lot and haven’t heard a bad thing about them other than they are a Million dollars. Lol

I bought a pair of these last fall and absolutely love them! They are fantastic, comfortable, and my feet were warm and dry. I got the uninsulated model with the Claw lug sole (best one made for traction - period!) and used them hunting antelope, deer, and elk.

https://www.whitesboots.com/#/product/2382

I purchased mine for $400.00 at a boot shop that carries them here locally. They make any width or length of foot to fit just you. Awesome made in USA and great materials.

Kenetreks uncomfortable while walking flatter more rolling terrain??? Thats a new one. I hunt both steep and flatter country, never ever had an issue. My hunting partner has both Danner and Kenetrek, and he says there is a huge difference in traction and stability between the two, he prefers the Kenetrek by far

Tom I think maybe it had something to do with a stiffer soul and made it kind of awkward to walk on flatter terrain which ended up hurting his feet. He’s the only one that I know that has the Kenetreks and that was the only negative he had said for him. Not sure if he’s flat feet or what.

Tom I think maybe it had something to do with a stiffer soul and made it kind of awkward to walk on flatter terrain which ended up hurting his feet. He’s the only one that I know that has the Kenetreks and that was the only negative he had said for him. Not sure if he’s flat feet or what.

There's plenty of guys on this forum that have issue with Kennetrek fitting well, I am one.

If you settle on Crispi, that's your thing. I don't have stock in any of these companies so I don't make a dime. All I would say is try out EVERY brand you can. Wear them around the store. Spend some time in them. ~$400 for a pair of boots is an investment. You can read elsewhere on here that I did that, and K and Crispi were brands I tried. Try on as many boots as you can.

MY experience only. I had a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme, Non-Insulated. They seemed to fit well while breaking them in, then when I wore them on my Elk hunt (Colorado, elevations ranging 9500 to 10500 feet), they seemed too narrow when I started hunting. Not sure why, but my feet seemed bigger "up there". I was only able to wear them the first morning of the first day. Fortunately, I had a pair of Danner Pronghorns along as back-up (same size as the Kenetreks), and wore them the rest of the 5 day hunt, no issues. When I got home, I did some research, and ended up buying a pair of Crispi Hunter GTX after speaking with the CS person at Blackovis. They fit perfectly out of the box, and even though I have worn them several times, they don't seem to require the break-in period that the Kenetreks did. They only have 200 gram insulation, so I plan to wear them regardless of weather when returning to Colorado this October. As others have stated, finding the right fit for your foot is going to be the most important factor. When you get in the $400 neighborhood for boots, I think they are pretty close in quality and durability.
If you are interested in the Crispi boots, the Hunter GTX is 12 inches tall, and the Guide is the same boot except only 10 inches tall.

My guide wears and swears by his Kenetreks Mountain Extremes. He wears them September through November, and won't consider anything else.

Last edited:
It really comes down to what fits YOUR feet, not someone else's. Some people swear by Kenetrek. They fit me ok, but not great. I haven't tried Crispi's, but they seem to have a good reputation if they fit you well. Personally I have found that Lowa's fit me like a glove. Lowa Tibet, Hunter and Renegade models all work well for me. I would recommend trying on these three brands, and maybe Zamberlan as well, to see what works best for you.

If I was looking at the Crispi's I would take a serious look at the Wyoming GTX... Currently, my main two pairs of boots are an un-insulated pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme's and Danner Sierra's which I believe are 200g... The K's are substantial and I can see why guys in really tough terrain like them but I've come to an opinion that they are in fact too 'extreme' for me - at least for most of my hunting... I feel like I'm walking around in a ski boot... I also 'swamped' them last year in a creek crossing and it took them days to dry.... I do a lot a running and trail running so I've got pretty strong ankles (from constantly rolling them) so last year I actually elk hunted most of my hours in a Nike Trail shoe - but realize that's probably not a great idea for many... Awesome how quiet they were and I could walk through a creek and they would be dry in an hour - just pointing out that how much 'boot' you need is really dependent on your needs and preferences....

I love and swear by the nevadas/non-insulated. Bought a few pairs off black ovis for $329. I hunt aggressivly and do not need an insulated boot. I love the wide toe box and they are extremely comfortable. Glad i cant share my exp. love crispis

What kind of construction do you want? Leather? Mesh? Lightweight? More durable? Lots of questions you need to look at when choosing a boot.

I’ve worn Crispis, the Idaho boots. I liked them a lot, and didn’t like a few things about them. I found I really prefer an all leather boot. Also, I don’t like a lot of seams, especially at flex points. As such, the Nevadas would be my first choice.

Pay attention to the last, aka insert thickness. This is what determines the rigidity of the boot. Pretty sure most Kennetreks have a full 7mm insert. I prefer 4-5mm for a more flexible boot.

Have the Crispi Valdres and Nevada. The Valdres GTX are the cats meow. A little lighter and so comfortable. Just seem to fit perfect but everyone has a bit different foot. They just seem to be a perfect combo of weight and support.

I'm finding the better grades of Meindl's to still be pretty darn nice for me, and at a significantly lower, but not cheap, price. Just another option.

Kenetreks uncomfortable while walking flatter more rolling terrain??? Thats a new one. I hunt both steep and flatter country, never ever had an issue. My hunting partner has both Danner and Kenetrek, and he says there is a huge difference in traction and stability between the two, he prefers the Kenetrek by far

Stiffness correlating to terrain is not a new thing, it is a basic design choice considered by all manufacturer's depending on their target market. Super stiff is for very uneven/rocky terrain where you are going lateral on a side hill. Kenetrek are known as (and tout themselves as having) a very stiff boot. This is great for the targeted terrain. While some may like a very stiff boot all the time, and that's fine, many prefer a little more flex where terrain allows and will only go super stiff if terrain requires.

Last edited:
I have poor ankles and a narrower foot. I prefer a stiff, snug boot so I don’t end up with twisted ankles and blisters. The Kenetreks are turning out to be my perfect boot. I use my Pronghorns for early season deer hunting and then put them up.
Check out some of the lacing techniques on YouTube. Changed the way my boots fit using the heel lock lace.

I have the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme NI boots in a wide. Those things are awesome. I wore them right out of the box on my first elk in CO many years ago with no issues whatsoever. They're comfortable for me on all elevations and steepness. They've continued to be waterproof, as well.

Good luck with your search.

I have some crispi thor gtx's that i have been trying out. So far they seem nice good made boots but dont like lacing system and "wides" are only slightly wide. They are light and with replacement insoles very comfortable (factory insoles are crap). I wanted to try crispis or zamberlains but i got the crispi's for half the price due to sale at blackovis. I am not convinced either way yet that these boots are for me. If you have wide feet try others...

Tough to decide on a boot just by reviews and forums as everyone has different feet. I really wanted to like Crispis as well, great quality lots of choices but the just didn't fit my feet. I found them to be a larger volume boot. Best advice is to try several different brands and sizes in the house to see what feels the best. Order from places that have great return policies and selections (Black Ovis, Zappos, Shoebuy, REI to name a few). Lots of quality boots out there now days, most important thing is to find one that fits your foot and the style of hunting you do. In my humble opinion lots of guys choose too much boot which take longer to break in and they end up having problems. I am a big fan of the Salomon 4d's super comfortable out of the box and plenty of boot for my hunting style and purpose. Good luck.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back