Boned out weight??

Seen lots of elk weighed as a young guy in north idaho. We typically got them out whole or halved and all were weighed with heads and hides removed. Seems as though spikes averaged 250-300lbs, the raghorns (mostly probably 2 year olds) seemed to go 330-370, and the few mature bulls we killed averaged around 380-400.

The closest I've ever got to weighing a deer was this one. I took the front half to a butcher and if I remember correctly it went 97lbs. He wasn't a particulary big deer, just fat. My cousin and I were cutting huge chunks off his butt when we skinned him.

Attachments

• TJ 06 Mulie 3.JPG
    TJ 06 Mulie 3.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 250
I like to get about 50#'s off an elk... Any more and it's too much to carry ;)

As long as you give the rest to locals. Come hunt in AZ. I'm hungry and I don't think I'm a very good hunter. :eek:

GH, you did that muley a favor by saving him from his eating disorder. Pig doesn't even begin to describe him.

Goldtip;2147016 These were hanging weights on a butcher scale that had come out of an old Safeway store said:
Did ya ever check the scale? just sayin,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

God that buck is a horse Kurt!! Do you think he could possibly go 318 like the one GT describes. That is unreal GT...

Last night, one front and one rear quarter yielded 91# of sausage and burger... with a good 15# of fat mixed in to total that 91.... (I like fat...yum)

You know what was crazy, Dusty broke out his ivories cause I had mine along... the ivories from the sun river 320 bull were twice as big as the ivories of my 370 Yellowstone bull... I'im talking length and width and all measurements... took a pic...will post it later.

God that buck is a horse Kurt!! Do you think he could possibly go 318 like the one GT describes. That is unreal GT...

Last night, one front and one rear quarter yielded 91# of sausage and burger... with a good 15# of fat mixed in to total that 91.... (I like fat...yum)

You know what was crazy, Dusty broke out his ivories cause I had mine along... the ivories from the sun river 320 bull were twice as big as the ivories of my 370 Yellowstone bull... I'im talking length and width and all measurements... took a pic...will post it later.

The more mature bulls seem to have flat ugly ivories. I would assume it is from wear and decay.

Most recent bull finished @272lbs. Packaged for the freezer. It was a 5x mediocre / fair sized body. It was cut to50% steaks / 40% burger (50% no suet ) 10% bkfst sausage ... added weight sure with 30%of the meat gaining additional 10%...
Too much math.
Prior was a cow... freezer packaged came to 316lbs.
Most off a muley was... 140(?) Lot of bkfst / italian sausage... so a good amount added... 8pt with eye guards... good sized Muley... sure looks like gh's buck is a beast... though he is a damn good photographer that has "picture perfect" distance - haha! He is a beast. Slayer along with a few others here.

GH, Michell Obama would be proud of you for cutting that phat pig mullie out of the herd , sense it was eating to much. LOL

Wing...what i'm saying is...the whole tooth..the root, the width, etc... was all WAY bigger... the were both worn down good with lots of color rings...but that Bob bull had a tooth that was twice as massive... (prob is, I had 50+ inches more antler...so I was ok with him having a bigger tooth!!) ;0)

Our Roosevelt went 470#. That was with the F/R quarters still on the bone, minus hocks.

Did ya ever check the scale? just sayin,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Well that would be something to think of I suppose. My guess is Dad knew it was at least reasonably correct, as we paid for our hogs as hanging weight off that same scale, so I'm betting it was reasonably accurate.

Yeah GH, that buck did look a lot like that. Part holstein with deer hide.:D

My little bull just weighed in at 269 pounds of trimmed meat. He wasn't a monster by any means.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back