MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Bolt locking forward after firing - Savage 110 Storm 7mm Rem Mag

IdahoPotato

Anyone ever had a gun where the bolt locks forward after firing? I'm not talking sticky, this thing locks up to where I need to tap the bolt back out with a mallet. When the case expands after firing it just seals itself in there.

Brand new rifle. This started happening about 20 shots into the break-in procedure. Cleaned every nook and cranny. Tried different ammo, different day, etc. It was also no where near 1 MOA during break in, but that could just be the cheap ammo, cleaning for break-in, scope settling, etc. I'll hold judgement for now.

The gun is on its way back to Savage for warranty. Super disappointed.

I would measure the chamber, I have a Savage model 10 that the chamber was to short for even factory loads. It wasn't to the extreme like you're having where they bolt would lock shut, but before I figured out what was going on I remember it would be pretty sticky to open and eject the case.

I had one that did it with one type of ammo. Other brands worked fine.

I tried blue box Federal and Remington Core Lokt since I was just running it through break-in rounds. Both locked up. After hammering out the bolt you could see scrape markings around the case about mid way down. I decided I had enough and boxed it up and called Savage. Thankfully they sent a shipping label right away. Hoping for a smooth warranty process so I don't end up with a $700 paper weight.

I hope they take care of you. I purchased a new Savage 270WSM and when I sighted it in it shot sideways bullets at 20 yards. Took it back to the dealer put a bore gauge on it and apparently Savage had built the gun with a .30 cal barrel on it. It was stamped 270WSM. Savage gave my dealer the run around so he handed me a Tikka and I walked out.

Good Luck.

What kind of ammo are you using? I had some do that in my savage 223 and I'd have to use a mallet to get the bolt back. The ammo just wasn't up to the standard your bolt and chamber are milled to.

I hope they take care of you. I purchased a new Savage 270WSM and when I sighted it in it shot sideways bullets at 20 yards. Took it back to the dealer put a bore gauge on it and apparently Savage had built the gun with a .30 cal barrel on it. It was stamped 270WSM. Savage gave my dealer the run around so he handed me a Tikka and I walked out.

Good Luck.

At least your dealer had the decency to do something about it. My first call was to the gun shop I purchased from. They basically said tough luck call Savage! Not a good look in the age of the internet gun shops....

What kind of ammo are you using? I had some do that in my savage 223 and I'd have to use a mallet to get the bolt back. The ammo just wasn't up to the standard your bolt and chamber are milled to.

Bottom shelf Federal and Remington. If it can't run either of those I think there is a real problem.

Send it back to Savage. A buddy had to send one back recently, that had a bad barrel. Quality control has become a thing of the past, with Remington and Savage.

Thought I would update this post.

So Savage sent a shipping label and said drop it in the mail. About 5 weeks exactly went by until I got the rifle back. I paid nothing for shipping either way. The work order in the box said they polished the inside of the chamber and test fired it.

Just took the rifle out and fired 25 rounds into a hillside. I didn't even mount the scope in case it developed the same issue. The rifle cycled perfectly and never even hinted at getting sticky with the bolt. Fired it with both a cool and a hot barrel with no issues. Here is a look at the cases from before and after the polish. Case on the right is from before:

You can definitely see where things were hanging up with the case on the right. Must have been just a defect out of the factory. Thank you Savage for standing behind your product and making things right.

Up next is load development. I will update again if I can get a decent load worked up.

Good to hear Savage took care of you!

Pssst...
Rem Mag loves RL26....
Just say'n. Lol

I was just thinking about making a thread about this. I have H4831 on hand from my 270 and was just going to try that out. What gives with RL26? I'm a novice reloader. Should I pick up a pound and try my first loads with RL26? Also read good things about H1000 and Retumbo. Might have to make the drive into Boise and see what powders are on the shelf...

Brass is prepped and primers are in. I have a box of 160 gr Accubonds ready to go, just need the powder....

I was just thinking about making a thread about this. I have H4831 on hand from my 270 and was just going to try that out. What gives with RL26? I'm a novice reloader. Should I pick up a pound and try my first loads with RL26? Also read good things about H1000 and Retumbo. Might have to make the drive into Boise and see what powders are on the shelf...

Brass is prepped and primers are in. I have a box of 160 gr Accubonds ready to go, just need the powder....

7mm mag?

Just curious but did the rounds chamber easy enough?

7mm mag?

Just curious but did the rounds chamber easy enough?

Yes with the right method. 7mm Mag left hand. My older 270 Remington 700 CDL (~2002 model) has the smoothest bolt I have ever worked. This 7mm mag Savage 110 Storm is a little more "nuanced". If you grab the bolt with your fingers and try to rack a round intentionally things don't go as smooth as you would expect. This bolt seems to like palm action. If you can work the entire cycle with just the palm of your hand it is acceptably smooth. I am hoping things improve with time and use.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back