Kimber Mountain Ascent Rifle Review (and customer experience difficulties)

It was my brothers gun it had a camo stock and fluted stainless barrel and it was a gold color i think it was like a xcr coating a rare rifle and desierable it was a little heavy but a awesone rifle i dont no y they stopped that model my brother still has it to this day he has bin offers 2000 for it but he wont sell it

The one my brother had was 22 inchs and i think its in the 7lb range with out scope it is haevy then the kimber it has a heavier barrel profile but i think it helps with accuarcy less whip

I took the gamble on a kimber mtn ascent in 270 win a couple years ago. It shoots great with Barnes ttsx, but doesn’t like hardly any other bullets. I’m very confident in its accuracy, and it’s killed a couple nice bulls for me already. I was nervous hoping I’d get a good one and must have gotten lucky. The coating on the stalk is cheap and wearing like the photos posted, but it shoots great so I’m not going to tinker with their customer service. Rifle is a dream to carry, extremely lightweight

Disappointing to read, OP, but very much appreciated, thank you.

I've been convincing myself for a couple month now about how much I needed a mountain ascent in 6.5 because the damn things weigh just a touch over 4lbs. I guess I'll keep looking for a featherweight rifle elsewhere.

I had a Kimber Mountain Ascent in 6.5 CM. Very light weight, but could not get it to shoot better than about 2 MOA with any consistency. Tried various factory rounds and handloads. I would not have trusted it for shots on game at over 200 yards or so. Eventually traded it away. Sad.

Disappointing to read, OP, but very much appreciated, thank you.

I've been convincing myself for a couple month now about how much I needed a mountain ascent in 6.5 because the damn things weigh just a touch over 4lbs. I guess I'll keep looking for a featherweight rifle elsewhere.

Sorry to hear ssssnake529. I must admit that mine shoot accurately now that Kimber replaced the action.

To All,
A couple updates. I have been in contact with Kimber and have decided that I'm going to ship my rifle back once again to have the stock exchanged for a new one in the same pattern. Service has continued to tell me that I'm a 'one-in-a-million' customer to have had so many problems, but I'm yet to meet one Kimber Mountain Asecent rifle owner (with camo pattern) that hasn't experienced what I have (camo rubs off). I'm actually hopeful I'll have the same issue on my new rifle so they can no longer tell me this.

While at the BHA Rendezvous in Boise earlier this year I met briefly with the sales rep manning the Kimber booth and he told me it was a known issue, but did not know whether Kimber was correcting the issue. So, appears that some people in the Kimber ranks are aware of the issue. At least the new stock is going to be covered under warranty.

Just thought I'd provide an update and wish everyone good luck on the remaining draws!

Kimber Zeiss Scope in Open Country Optifade Camo (found pics)

This is a photo of the issue I encountered with the scope Kimber was selling in the Open Country Optifade camo pattern to match the rifle (Zeiss).

You'll see that the scope was wrapped, then it appears an Xacto knife or some type of blade was used to attempt to cut around the brand plate. This was done unevenly and chipped the brand plate. You'll also see camo wrap was cut unevenly around the ring, and the same type of issue was present where the serial number plate was.

As with the stock and as with the action I was told that this has never happened. Sharing my experience in hopes to keep you all from having to deal with the same issues.

Happy to answer any questions about my experience if you have any. Good luck with the remaining draws!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 5.09.02 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 5.09.02 PM.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 163
Must be why I never owned a Kimber. I guess I've always felt they are way over priced for the function you get. Maybe I'm right.

I have been in contact with Kimber and have decided that I'm going to ship my rifle back once again to have the stock exchanged for a new one in the same pattern. Service has continued to tell me that I'm a 'one-in-a-million' customer to have had so many problems, but I'm yet to meet one Kimber Mountain Asecent rifle owner (with camo pattern) that hasn't experienced what I have (camo rubs off). I'm actually hopeful I'll have the same issue on my new rifle so they can no longer tell me this.

Sounds like something a simple clear coat could solve. For an $1800 rifle, it's hard to believe a company would be so cheap as to forgo it. I don't need that kind of bullshit in my life. Again, appreciate the cautionary tale.

The North Star,
Not the greatest experience I'll give you that. At least they took the scope back and now they are replacing the stock, though I'm not sure it'll matter given it is likely the application process and/or stock material. Glad to provide my feedback on this forum.

Like most factory rifles-even deluxe-it is hit or miss. My Kimber may have a head space issue. Dealing with Kimber customer service left much to be desired. And they still will not fix the issue nor admit to what it is. Yet after many conversations and sending the rifle to them twice, their last response was: when you get the barrel changed we can fix the issue. WTF? I’ll never buy another Kimber. Customer service was the pits.

That is really unfortunate! Man that sucks - I've heard their customer service can be difficult and that is frustrating.

I have a Kimber Montana (the older model 84M with the Gray stock) - but I had a local Custom Gun Maker work on it. He did some general fit and finish - bedded the barrel, refaced the bore and crown, couple things just to make sure everything was tight. He said that the Kimber Montana is his number one gun to work on - they are fantastic with just a tiny bit of work but the only Kimber worth their money. Now that the Montana is discontinued he said he isn't sure what gun he is going to use - the other Kimber offerings aren't worth their money.

He does own a Kimber Ascent and said it is an extremely light weight rifle but not his first option for what he takes into the mountains.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back