Yeti GOBOX Collection

Boars, pigs in Montana?

MTGunner

Had a guy ask me if I had hunted boars in northern MT. No!
Asked him why such a question. His reply was that he had been hearing of Russians boars coming down from Canada.
Now, I have no solid information in this regard. Therefore I am asking if anyone has any information to substantiate this.
I find this to be questionable....but, who knows. What think you all? MTG

There was a recent article about hogs in Canada and concerns they could cross the border in to Montana. As far as I know no evidence of wild hogs in Big Sky country.

There was a recent article about hogs in Canada and concerns they could cross the border in to Montana. As far as I know no evidence of wild hogs in Big Sky country.

I read the same aritcle,I's only a mater of time until they head south.Lock and Load... 😎

Illegal to hunt- does that include trapping? Because trapping hogs is far more effective at eliminating them.

In think it would be cool.....
Then I would not have to travel to other states to kill them.
The reason it's illegal it to stop "Bucket biologist" from turning them out to hunt.
No incentive.
I would guess if they come in by them selves there would be a different
attitude, and the FWP board , mostly ranchers and the legislators largely dependent on $$$$
from AGG, interests would soon change the laws.

Looks like Oregon takes the opposite approach to what Montana takes. In Oregon you are encouraged to shoot any feral pig on sight. No limit, no closed season and no license needed. Land owners can be fined if they have feral swine on their property. I have never seen one but I would be happy to take the advice of the state on how to handle the situation if I ever do see one.

The no hunting rule has to do with preventing people from hunting hogs that "got loose". Since the only hogs in MT are in the Ag community it makes sense to have them be the regulatory agency in charge. If we were to have an infestation from Canada and it couldn't be controlled the Legislature would definitely revisit the topic.

Hogs are becoming illegal to hunt in more and more states. The wildlife departments are under the opinion that hunters do more harm than good when hunting hogs. State controlled trapping and eradication programs seem to be more effective. It seems crazy but when you think about it, it makes more sense. Hunters see a herd of hogs and they shoot one or two and the herd scatters and becomes educated. They get split up and form different herds. An experienced trapper can go into an area and get the whole heard at once without letting them scatter. Meateater had a pretty good podcast about it a while back.

If I was shooting hogs I wouldn't stop at one or two. I would keep shooting as long as I had a shot or ammo to shoot.

Being from the south, I have dealt with them frequently. They make a fun additional animal to hunt but if we could snap our fingers and make them all disappear most would. Around here, it has traditionally been the bear/boar houndsmen who have trapped and relocated them for hunting, causing them to spread faster than normal. Kill them all or help fish and game or do whatever you can. You don’t want them.

Around here, it has traditionally been the bear/boar houndsmen who have trapped and relocated them for hunting, causing them to spread faster than normal.

This is exactly why it is illegal to hunt them in several states. Takes away the incentive for folks to transplant them.

Curious... MT regs read as, "... legislation prohibited... and hunting..." Is it based on the descriptive "recreational predator shooting" vs "hunting"? Seems a semantic play of words. Or the word "hunt" adds various attachments to various FWP and Fed laws?

I'm 100% opposed to the introduction of feral pigs to MT. Though, treat them as 'yotes, IMO. Maybe they would upon identified in MT(?).
From the content shared in this thread, it's a matter of time. Add the "recreational shooting" portion to apply instant pressure vs cutting Govt red tape to go instant full court pressure.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back