Caribou Gear

Bloody Pack Cleanup?

Paisano

After several unpunched tags resulting in me bringing a clean pack home, that finally changed on Saturday. My wife took her first pronghorn this weekend which resulted in me packing out the meat. Just wondering what other folks do to clean up a bloody pack?....

Thanks for your advice and good luck to all this hunting season.

Woolite is what Kifaru reccomends for the DWR on Cordura. Take the time and do it by hand and all will go smoothly, little time consuming but worth the clean result.

A hose in my front yard and some mild, non-scented detergent. Hang to dry.

If while out hunting, a creek and then hang to dry.

If it stinks like antelope then use gasoline. If it still smells after using gas then throw the pack out. Antelope don't get the name of stink goats for nothing.:D

I have one of those big galvanized tubs and just fill with cold water and a mild detergent. Let it soak, pull it out hose it down and repeat the process. Once they get a little sticky they seem to stay that way. You're pack has been officially broke in.:D

Congratulations for your problem! Lots of good ideas above, just do it ASAP. Long set stains seem to be tougher to get out.

Thanks guys. We shot this buck yesterday and got him hauled back to the truck about 1pm. We got him iced down fast but my bloody pack baked in the heat all afternoon and all the way back home today. While monitoring what friends would say on here, I stuck it in some cold water to soak about 5 pm today. I let it soak about 45 mintues and I'm blown away with how well it cleaned up!!! When I pulled it out it was 98% clean and unstained. I'll follow up as you guys suggested but I'd have never guessed it would be that easy. I'm sure there are lots and lots of good packs on the market but I have to say that I'm impressed with this one which is an eberlestock. Happy hunting to all. Yeah, I have to post a harvest pic. I put my wife in for a NM tag on a whim and low and behold she drew a rifle tag. What luck?!! We had an absolute blast and she's hooked on pronghorn hunting. Thanks again to all who have offered advice!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1810 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_1810 (640x480).jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 859
Curious, my badlands 2800 has blood stains on the outside using the design for packing a shoulder or ham or whatever ... any downside to having old blood stains on a pack? I kinda looked at it as a truck, pretty and all but using it will have its dings eventually...

Does it hold odors not smelled by humans that would be tracable to game the following year? Potential for mold growth? I kinda just looked at it as a simple stain that does not detract from the camo color. Any concerns with such?

If mass carnage blood flowing n drippin off the pack, sure...

Nice prong there! Grats to your wife!

My taxidermist brother-in-law says to always soak them in cold water,,then you can use some unsented detergent after you remove most of the blood

Great looking buck, Congrats to your wife.

I would say don't scrub too hard, leave a little shadow, lots of memories are found in blood stains on gear and scratches on gunstocks. I soak it in water and hit it with a scrub brush to get the big stuff off.

Peroxide is an oxidizing agent, and I can't imagine that is a good thing for your pack. You wouldn't leave it out in the sun all the time would you? I'd stick with something like Woolite (my choice) or Simple Green, cold or lukewarm water, and hang dry out of the sun.

You don't want to soak it in peroxide, that is for sure. Some good info here for removing blood from different fabrics.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-remove-blood-stains.htm

Peroxide is an oxidizing agent, and I can't imagine that is a good thing for your pack. You wouldn't leave it out in the sun all the time would you? I'd stick with something like Woolite (my choice) or Simple Green, cold or lukewarm water, and hang dry out of the sun.

Throw it in the tub and turn on the shower head. Air dry.

Someone else is single also apparently.

Mine gets the hose outside as soon as possible and then a trip to the tub for a soak and scrub with some detergent. Just be sure to clean up the blood stains left over or house guests may think you're a serial killer.

Last edited:
We got him iced down fast but my bloody pack baked in the heat all afternoon and all the way back home today.

Sounds like it cleaned up good, and you weren't planning on eating the pack, anyway, were you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back