Blast from the past

T Bone

I was cleaning out some files and found some pictures from years ago.

In 1984, at 12 years old and an avid archer, opening morning of my lifetime of big game hunting found me in Idaho Unit 66A quivering like a leaf as a my dad was calling a bull into me. The raghorn came by at 15 yards and I sent an arrow sailing about 10 feet over his antlers. This picture is of me just minutes after blowing my first of many elk encounters!
4-33c.jpg

The next day a deer stood up out of its bed 15 yards away. I put an arrow right through him. The deer was a 20 pound fawn. I couldn't have been happier.
4-33b.jpg

Here's a pic of my first decent deer. 1988 Idaho unit 59A. Remington 721 30-06 with a Hornady 165 grain handload. He was about 125 yards away running broadside. He was a 2 1/2 year old buck with good genetics. If I'd of let him live a few more years.....
t106.jpg

I showed you mine, now lets see yours.

I'll have to get it scanned but I have a piebald whitetail I shot when I was 18. I shot a whitetail fawn with a bow once that you couold pick up with one hand by an ear before it was dressed but that one of yours beats that:eek: . Cool pics.

I've got a picture of a fawn here somewhere...I'd have shot it earlier in the day, but I had to let it get it's head out from under momma....

T-Bone love those blasts from the past and the wonderful pictures to go with them.We should all be so lucky as to start as you did.I can now see how you became such a skilled hunter, you earned it.

This is the only one I have uploaded...

1995... 17yo. I hunted the same place that I killed my deer on this year, but was not able to get close enough bow shot to this guy. I had seen a coule other deer that I though were bigger than this one as well. When rifle season opened I passed him up 3 times thinking he was only a 120" type deer. Finally the last week of the season I ran into him again and decided I might as well notch my tag. The buck was with a few does, at about 250 yards standing broadside. I placed the cross hairs of my Remington 243 win with carefully loaded Sierra 85gr Hollow points :) , right behind the shoulder. At the shot the buck jumped straight up in the air and came running right at me. I quickly jacked another in and he stopped at about 80-90 yards looking real sick with his head hanging low, but offered another broadside shot. I took it and down he went. I stood and watched him for a min to see that he was dead. When I got up to him I was amazed that this 'average' buck was a touch bigger than I thought. I killed one the year before that was a touch bigger score wise, but this buck had a huge body on him, not to mention a decent rack. I dressed and loaded him up and went to town to show my buddy. We tossed him on the scale to see just what he weighed... 198 dressed... A quick measure and he scored 137... with a 20" inside spread. Was the biggest whitetail I'd killed up to this year. :)

P1000580.JPG

Everyone has seen these worn out photos before, but what the heck. I wasn't into getting really good field photos back then.

This is my first deer, 1986 and 14 years old. This was the first year of point restrictions in Colorado (3pt or better). I had to pass a bazillion spikes and forkys that year, but never got a chance at something better. We went out after school on the second to last day of the season to give it another try. We hiked about 75 yards up a steep hill in rimrock country and I spotted this guy standing behind a juniper tree right up under a rimrock 200 yard above, watching us. I took a shot with the old 99 Savage and the buck took off. I threw a couple more wild shots at him before the first, perfect shot did him in and he started rolling....and rolling...and rolling. I didn't think he was ever going to stop rolling down that hill.

firstbuck.jpg

Here's a pic of my second deer, 1987 and 15 years old. My first bow kill, a "5-point"! This one was also shot on the second to last day of the month-long season.

BowKill.jpg

Third deer, 1988 and 16 years old. Went out after school and spotted this buck feeding about 500 yards away. This was the first deer I actually stalked and didn't just bump into. I got to within about 200 yards and killed my first animal with my .270.

Man, I had awesome hair back then.:D

buckinyard.jpg

Here is one more...

This is my first buck. Please keep your comments about the gay hat to yourself. I was 12. ;)

It was the last evening of the last day of the season. We hunted elk hard that year and if I remember right we killed 6-7. Don't remember for sure. I was 'told' to pass on decent muley buck on one of those elk trips as we were hunting elk and not deer. anyway....

We where hunting the same afromentioned ranch. Wasn't much to the hunt, drove to the top of a little bench were we could glass a large creek bottom, spotted this buck chasing does, and he ran into the bush after her. We scrambled down off the bench and got into position. The wind was howling (like it does 364 days a year). My brother and grampa were with me. I remember the deer coming out of the brush, and standing broadside at about 175ish yards. My grampa whispers, "Put one in the slats". I line up the x-hairs on the trusty 243 that I got for my 11th birthday on the ribs. I jerked the trigger, the gun went bang, and the deer just stood there. Frantically I jacked another one in, and my grampa says "Take your time, and stick one in the slats!" I carefully took aim again, and squeezed the trigger, at the shot the bucks nose hit the dirt, and my grampa says, "uh oh, looks like you hit him in the azz"... I quickly chambered yet another, but there was no use, the deer just layed there and kicked a few times. I remember running as fast as I could up to that buck. I left gramps and my brother in the dust. I just had to see this buck! I would have never belived it, and probalby souldn't even say with the internet police and all their 'morals'... but the last shot hit him perfectly in the friggn eyeball. You can't see in the picture, as its the other eye, but I remember seeing it hanging out. To this day I think I was to busy looking at the rack instead of concentrating on the shot. This was the start of what has become my addiction with deer hunting.

The buck posted above was killed with in 200 yards of where this one fell. I killed two other deer in that same spot the following two years as well. Then the ownership changed and they 'outlawed' buck hunting. At least I had it good when the getting was good!

P1000581.JPG

LOL.. Sorry Oak, I can't stop laughing at the hair!
You've taken some nice deer though!

That's cool! Gotta love those old "first time" photos. Wish I had pictures of my first time. hump But I do have pictures of my first animal I killed. If only I had a scanner. I don't think they made digitals back in 87' when I was 15. Shot a trophy spike elk. Got some great pictures of my skin tight Levi's and mullet under my BBall hat. :D

Killed a couple deer prior to this one, but don't know what happened to the pics. This is my first rifle Black Hills deer (by the way, the mullet just kept getting longer).

First_BH_deer.sized.jpg

Nice mullet. You've almost got lion tamer hair going.

Can't find any deer pics yet. I did find these bad boys though. Here is a coyote around age 13.

hunt-fish-random012.jpg

Here is a real sweet pic:0 Age 14, rocking a sweet mullet and my silk 1987 AZ State Sundevils Rose Bowl hat. P&Y carp, several fish met their demise from this particular part of the creek.

hunt-fish-random011.jpg

Oak said:
Holy Tarzan.

Guess everyone had sweet hair in the 80's.

Oak, it looks more like a helmet on your head then hair. Miller could either be the lead singer of an Iron Maiden cover band; or a bull dyke could steal his pic and use it on Match.com.............

Oak, that's a fireman's hat. I had cool hair too, but I didn't go mullet until the next year, eastern Montana was a little behind on the cool hair styles. Here's my 1st and 2nd bucks. My first deer was actually a doe. I still haven't got a nicer whitetail than my first buck and probably won't.

In the words of Joe Dirt.... DAAAAANG...

I was lucky enough to be born a few years to early... my parents wouldn't let me 'rock the mullet' at age 10...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caveman84
Back