Old 8 with 41 magnum revolver

Big Bore

I saw this buck briefly this morning and knew he was old for our ranch. He’s been spotted on a few game cams and everyone agreed he was at least 5 years old - very rare for our ranch. So I went back to the same stand and was set up by 3:00 pm. Temperature was close to 80 today in this part of Texas so it was a bit painful but clearly worth it. So right at about 3:30 he comes in from my right and walks behind a mesquite thicket no more than 30 yards from where I am set up and…beds down. I sat there and watched this buck for the better part of an hour before he stood up and started walking away from me. He got to about the 55 yard mark, turned broadside, and I let the hammer fall.

55ish yards with my Freedom Arms M97 in 41 magnum. Hand loaded 210 XTP over H110. Complete pass through and a solid heart shot. He made it about 35 yards before calling it quits. The optic is a Vortex Venom 3MOA on a factory FA mount.

Heckuva day.
IMG_7284.jpeg

I saw this buck briefly this morning and knew he was old for our ranch. He’s been spotted on a few game cams and everyone agreed he was at least 5 years old - very rare for our ranch. So I went back to the same stand and was set up by 3:00 pm. Temperature was close to 80 today in this part of Texas so it was a bit painful but clearly worth it. So right at about 3:30 he comes in from my right and walks behind a mesquite thicket no more than 30 yards from where I am set up and…beds down. I sat there and watched this buck for the better part of an hour before he stood up and started walking away from me. He got to about the 55 yard mark, turned broadside, and I let the hammer fall.

55ish yards with my Freedom Arms M97 in 41 magnum. Hand loaded 210 XTP over H110. Complete pass through and a solid heart shot. He made it about 35 yards before calling it quits. The optic is a Vortex Venom 3MOA on a factory FA mount.

Heckuva day.
View attachment 305316
That's a good looking Buck, and a cartridge that I was always curious about. How does it compare to the .44 magnum as far as power/penetration go?

I need to punch a tag with my .41 someday. Nice to see your Wile E. Coyote plan reached the successful conclusion. That's a great buck!

That's a good looking Buck, and a cartridge that I was always curious about. How does it compare to the .44 magnum as far as power/penetration go?
Thank you. In terms of terminal performance, it’s really close to the ole .429 magnum. The .44 definitely jumps out front when it comes to heavier bullets though.

Very nice. I've always wanted to get a .41 mag. Cool looking buck! What part of TX are you in?

Very nice. I've always wanted to get a .41 mag. Cool looking buck! What part of TX are you in?
I live in New Braunfels, just north of San Antonio. My lease is about 2 hours west between Junction and Menard. You?

I live in New Braunfels, just north of San Antonio. My lease is about 2 hours west between Junction and Menard. You?
I used to live in the Buda/Kyle area. I was born and raised in central TX and lived there for 36 years. Live out in Utah now. My wife's family still has land back in Central TX. North of where you are a bit. They are up near Coleman - south of Abilene.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back