Yeti GOBOX Collection

Blacktails....

Sitka Blacktails count? I've been chasing a few. ( edited: just noticed this was in the AK sections, so yeah, obviously)

I'm about 50-50 for getting up top and having no fog in the early morning.

Alpine buck on Aug 16:
aug17buck.jpg

Velvet Alpine Buck, but killed during the early season. Hunting pard taking the hero shot.
lbuck.jpg

Last edited:
Those are the ones I'm talking about. How about a "hit", if you've got any photos.

That's what I'm talking about. Great bucks! I want one (or two) of those. Remember now that I saw your post on another forum, and even commented I think.

I didn't realize they would already be hard-horned by the middle of August. I'd like to get back up there for another try, but maybe SE this time instead of Kodiak. Thanks for posting....

It's a fun hunt, but weather and fog can make things difficult for the visiting hunter who has to get the job done in a certain time frame. I've seen some years where the tops of the mountains are fogged in for weeks at a time first thing in the morning in Aug. It's just a roll of the dice if you'll be able to see anything in those first few hours of daylight, when the big ones are out and about. I started looking over hard horns on Aug 14th this year.

I did my Kodiak hunt the last week of October. Weather was difficult and the days were short, but I would do it again. Nice thing was that there were no leaves. Are there still big bucks in the alpine that time of year?

As a general rule of thumb.. they will be down lower in October.

However, some of the big boys will stay up there as long as possible.

July,August and Early/mid september are the best alpine hunts.
I start hitting the timber stands in late September through october.
Muskegs in November.
Beaches in December.

Calvin- Nice bucks man. And great pic of the bachelor group!!

Those are a couple great sitka deer Calvin, congrats. Eye guards like that are rare on them aint they(and 4pts to boot)? I've never hunted them, but will some day.

Last edited:
Very nice... those are great bucks. Sure didn't talk long for POW to make a comeback. Hmmm... How can I get up there next year... Ed F

I did my Kodiak hunt the last week of October. Weather was difficult and the days were short, but I would do it again. Nice thing was that there were no leaves. Are there still big bucks in the alpine that time of year?

I usually save the last week of Sept and the first 3 weeks of Oct for duck hunting. It's amazing how those deer vanish during that time frame. (IMO, Deer have moved down from alpine and go nocturnal and bed down in the thick stuff during the day) I'm sure some guys have it figured out. Don't see many big bucks killed those first 3 weeks of oct though. Big ones start showing up in the last week of Oct through Dec.

Think my Alaska hunting is over for the year. I'll head back next spring. Gonna take the girlfriend black bear hunting in SEAK.

Calvin, really nice deer.

Calvin has been teasing me with these Sitka Blacktail pics to the point where I almost have to go next year. If I go, I am going SE, on some islands that friends have told me about. One hell of a pull to get to the alpine, but it looks like it might be worth it from the pics you have been posting.

Big Fin- Do it!! I've said this before, but, a mid August alpine blacktail hunt has potential for an awesome show.
Better yet; apply for the early bow season tag on Etolin for Elk, and hunt rosies and blacktails all in one go.

Rosco- eye guards are common on anything bigger than a forkie.

Calvin has been teasing me with these Sitka Blacktail pics to the point where I almost have to go next year. If I go, I am going SE, on some islands that friends have told me about. One hell of a pull to get to the alpine, but it looks like it might be worth it from the pics you have been posting.

You should do it, buddy, o' pal, o' friend of mine! :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrisw
Back