Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Blackhorn 209 weight

mdhunter

So I have never been a reloader and shot whitehots, pyrodex, and others over the years while blackpowder hunting with shots being 100 yards or closer. This year I bought a CVA Paramount with the thought I could be comfortable out to 200yds. So I go down the rabbit hole and purchased a scale so I could be as consistent as possible with the loads.

I was stunned to see the weight difference versus the Blackhorn volume measuring tubes. In my case the weight was less and significantly. 105 gr by weight showed about 142 by volume. 105 by weight should be 150gr.

Has anyone noticed anything similar? I guess the scale never lies and I should go with it.

Thanks for any thoughts.

My volumetric measure is off by 5 grains. I think it's fairly common. It did cause some confusion when I switched to weighing and my groups opened up.

Go to their website it shows you the difference between volume measures and what you weigh on reloading scales.
I have done that much work, the math just didn’t work when I started weighing things. My hunch is the volume measures just tend to be more inaccurate, I am just looking for confirmation from some one with more experience than myself.

I have done that much work, the math just didn’t work when I started weighing things. My hunch is the volume measures just tend to be more inaccurate, I am just looking for confirmation from some one with more experience than myself.
Well volume measure is just that by volume. There is a big difference between volume and weight measured. 100gr volume will not even be close to a weighed charge.

volume measurements are easily swayed by any vibration, how fast you pour, how high the kernels fall, slight variation in kernel size, and how full you perceive the measure to be. like you noticed weight is the way to go for consistency.

For Blackhorn 209, 100gr by volume = 70gr by weight. So max charge of 120gr by volume = 84gr by weight. Weigh your charges, you'll be happier.

I've switched to weighing my Blackhorn 209 and am much happier with the consistency over the chronograph vs volumetric measurements in the past. I shoot 84gr by weight and the volume can be as different as ~8gr from load to load;

Ditto with everyone that weighs their BH 209 vs going by volume. I've found the BH 209 tubes to be pretty inaccurate.

I only use the volume method. I had weighed some to verify what people were saying. I worked my way up a ladder just like reloading until i hit the sweet spot. It was right at 85 gr by volume. Your rifle will probably vary. It does shoot a whole lot cleaner.

I always measure bh 209 by weight. It is more accurate in my opinion then volume plus 115 grs by weight doesn't quite fit in the tubes.

I always measure bh 209 by weight. It is more accurate in my opinion then volume plus 115 grs by weight doesn't quite fit in the tubes.
If you are using 115gr by weight you are over the limit. If you go on BH 209 website they will tell you what you should use by weight vs volume.

For those that can't find this please review. It shows you weight vs volume. 120 gr max volume = 84 weight on scales!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201026-080409_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20201026-080409_Drive.jpg
    959.6 KB · Views: 24
Diddo on the weighing your charges. I went over to weighing my blackhorn a few years ago and it made an already great powder even better.

I started out doing my by volume but now I weigh all of them and prefer this

It's a custom muzzleloader, rated for smokeless powder. Gunsmith said 115gr of bh209 and it works great.
I’ve been thinking of a smokeless muzzleloader myself but have pulled the trigger on one yet do you prefer to run bh 209 in yours instead of an Actual smokeless powder?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back