Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Black Bears in South Dakota.

Dakota79

If I were to tell you we are seeing black bears every now and then in the very northwest corner of South Dakota where would you guess they are coming from?

If I were to tell you we are seeing black bears every now and then in the very northwest corner of South Dakota where would you guess they are coming from?
The Custer National Forest in MT or WY. There's a decent population there. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the bears had even came all the way from the Big Horns either.

The Custer National Forest in MT or WY. There's a decent population there. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the bears had even came all the way from the Big Horns either.
That was my first thought as well but somebody mentioned Minnesota so I was just curious what others would say.

There have been regular sightings of bears in the BHNF in recent years, I have a friend with a cabin in the western Black Hills with several trail camera photos of bears at his property.

There are plenty of credible black bear sightings in the hills and it seems like there are more each year. Maybe that is just attributed to more being reported via social media, who knows.
I'd love to see an established population in the hills and have a season, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Back