Bivy vs. Ultralight Tent?

Okay, new question - Footprint or no footprint?

Oak - That Shangri-La 3 looks pretty impressive, I like the idea of the footprint and the screen being all one piece with the "nest". Do you just find a sturdy stick to use as a pole where you are camping or actually carry a pole with you? 4lbs 5oz with the nest seems about the same as a lot of other tents if you include the footprint on them.

Which brings me back to footprint or not? If I go with just a shelter I might just go with the MountainSmith shelter at under 2lbs. If people say I need a footprint, then I would probably prefer to go with one of the intergrated ones like the Shangri-La to make 100% sure that all the bugs, mosquitos, and other creepy crawlies stay out of the tent instead.

Thoughts on footprints vs. not?

Thanks, Nathan

Okay. I was lost on the footprint thing. Got confused seeing a bunch of tents pitched with just the fly and a footprint. I think I want a tent, rather than a shelter.

The Golite Imogene UL2 seems about perfect, but they are out of stock and doesn't look like they expect any in very soon.

Here's my final choices.

Marmot Pulsar 2 - http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-p...oIFJlc3VsdHM6bWFybW90IHB1bHNhciAyIHRlbnQ6MToy

Like the look and design, good reviews, 3lbs 14oz, $245.

Big Agnes Flycreek UL2 - http://www.backcountryedge.com/big_agnes-fly-creek-ul-2.aspx

Very light (2lbs 10oz), a few comments on troubles getting the fly properly placed, $290.

Big Agnes CopperSpur Ul2 - http://www.backcountryedge.com/big_agnes-copper-spur-ul-2-2012.aspx

2 doors, nice layout, 3lbs 9oz, $320.

Decisions, decisions....

Anyone have any input?

Thanks, Nathan

I called Golite and they told me within days of when they'd have more Imogene UL2's, cant believe how fast they sell out though. Got mine the other day, set it up in the yard to check it out, looks like it'll work. Using it in Oct, spike camping first season rifle in CO @ 11K feet, cant wait!

Attachments

• imogeneul2.1.JPG
    imogeneul2.1.JPG
    244.6 KB · Views: 2,979
  • imogeneul2.2.JPG
    imogeneul2.2.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 3,432
  • imogeneul2.3.JPG
    imogeneul2.3.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 2,695

Here's my final choices.

Marmot Pulsar 2 - http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-p...oIFJlc3VsdHM6bWFybW90IHB1bHNhciAyIHRlbnQ6MToy

Like the look and design, good reviews, 3lbs 14oz, $245.

Big Agnes Flycreek UL2 - http://www.backcountryedge.com/big_agnes-fly-creek-ul-2.aspx

Very light (2lbs 10oz), a few comments on troubles getting the fly properly placed, $290.

Big Agnes CopperSpur Ul2 - http://www.backcountryedge.com/big_agnes-copper-spur-ul-2-2012.aspx

2 doors, nice layout, 3lbs 9oz, $320.

Decisions, decisions....

Anyone have any input?

Thanks, Nathan

I purchased a BA Fly Creek UL3 last winter on Ebay, and finally set it up in the backyard for the first time this weekend. If you ever expect to have a second person in the tent who you are not married to, I would recommend the UL3 over the UL2. Just a personal preference, but I'm not too keen on snuggling (that's why AZ402 won't hunt with me). If you don't have a problem with it, I'm sure you could get by with the 2. I believe I got this for $300.
FCUL3-1_zpse47f36fe.jpg

FCUL3-2_zps65d6f730.jpg

I have the BA Fly Creek 2 and it made it's maiden voyage this past week on a scouting trip. I like it. (I have the footprint also) Very easy to set up. It was nice as the bugs were noticable.

As far as pad and bag, I have the BA Insulated Air Core and BA Lost Ranger.

I will caution you. I was a little sloppy on this trip and my pack weighed 50 lbs for 4 days. (Including water.) It wore me down carrying that much weight for that many days. When hunting, I normally spike camp and this combo would work well. I can post some pics tomorrow if wanted.

I would be buying this tent with the intention of being solo in it most of the time. Only other occupant that I could think of would be my wife (doubtful) or my 6 year old son (possibly).

My initial thoughts are centered around a spike camp, but that would suck to be a couple miles in one direction and have to bushwhack back to camp, but I guess not as bad as having to hike 5 miles back to the trailhead or as bad as carrying camp around on my back all day.

Oak - That Shangri-La 3 looks pretty impressive, I like the idea of the footprint and the screen being all one piece with the "nest". Do you just find a sturdy stick to use as a pole where you are camping or actually carry a pole with you? 4lbs 5oz with the nest seems about the same as a lot of other tents if you include the footprint on them.

I use the pole that is included. You can use a pair of trekking poles as well, but if you are planning to hunt out of the tent, you wouldn't have them while you were hunting.

Although the weight is similar to other tents, keep in mind how much space you have inside. The SL-3 is 59 sq ft, versus 28 + 8 for the Pulsar 2, 28 + 7 for the Fly Ck UL2, and 29 + 9 + 9 for the Copper Spur UL 2.

I went with Alps Mountaineering Meramac. I did the three man tent because I may have my wife with me. I bought it on Amazon for less than $100. It's heavy at almost 9lbs, but I've had it in high wind and monsoon downpours with great results. They make a two person that weighs in at 6 and change. I have to use a tent. I've been miserable under a tarp, either wet in the monsoon or pestered by bugs all night. Worth the extra weight to get a good nights sleep IMO, plus I want my pack and rifle in the tent with me to keep clean and dry.

Lots of good advice on shelters; as you can see, shelter choice is as personal as bows, guns, packs, etc.

My two cents is considering the distance you will be packing in (4-5 miles, I believe you mentioned) and late October, go with a solid, free-standing shelter that you can hole up in if you need to while riding out a storm; the Big Agnes models are a good choice. I have hunting partners that use them, and they work well.
I prefer a 'tarp shelter', and use the GoLite Shangri La 2. It is floorless, pitches with two trekking poles, and for the weight, is very spacious. I add in a 3' x 6.5' piece of TyVek for the 'floor', and it easily fits my bag, pad, backpack and boots. Total weight is 22 oz., with the TyVek. During early season elk hunts, I stake it out with about 3-4" of space on the leeward side (typically the door end) for ventilation, and keep the foot end snug to the ground, in case of high wind and/or rain. If it starts to really storm, the whole perimeter gets staked down tight.
Some people don't care for the floorless part, but I have not had any issue with bugs, etc., especially at higher elevations. Use common sense, keep your food well away and hung up in bear country, and you will be surprised how well a floorless shelter works for hunting. Also, if you do come back from a rainy/snowy hunt, you can still climb in, fold up the TyVek and sleeping bag, and create a bit of space on dry ground to get out of your boots, raingear, etc. and keep your sleeping bag dry (It requires a bit of gymnastics, but it can be done!)

Keep the shelter under 3.5 lbs if you go with a freestanding, classic "tent", and no more than 2 lbs. for a silnylon tarp shelter, with the floor (TyVek or other). Good luck!

I used to use a blue walmart tarp for my pack tent when I was in highschool. It worked well until the a night when I was in a down poor in the middle of the night on the mountain and a black bear decided to get out the rain under my tarp. I still remember how the bear looked when the lightning would crash. I still don't like thinking about it or talking about it for that matter.

Anyone use a neotherm xtherm pad?

I have a Neoair X-therm. Have only used it on a couple of trips, but no serious issues. The only thing I would say is that my bag wouldn't stay on top of it when I had the bag inside a Ti Goat bivy, but worked fine when I put the pad inside the bivy with the bag.

If I am in trees I will always stay with my hammock systems. I sleep like a baby in those things and they do well into the low 20's with a 0 degree bag. No worries about rocks and uneven ground, I even put it on the edge of cliffs for a room with a view. A small learning curve but unless I am above timberline I will never use a tent. The second picture the hammock is pulled pretty tight and is hidden by the tarp but I survived a 12" snowfall in a down bag and only woke up a few times to punch the snow off the tarp to keep it from sagging from the wet snow

Attachments

• pinata.jpg
    pinata.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,262
  • hammock.jpg
    hammock.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,227
Last edited:
I have an OR Aurora bivy which I got new for a good deal and has worked okay for me. It weighs a whopping pound and a half. It's great when it's nice out and I can keep the top unzipped. Not so great when there are skeeters or rain - there's no pole to prop up the top so the bag or netting rests on your face. Skeeters bite your right thru the holes. It's nice that there's no setup on a bivy because I usually get where I'm going very late/early and another 10 minutes of sleep is a big percentage.

I would definitely go with the Alpine or Advanced IF I were going to buy another bivy because they have poles. I don't figure to need one since I bought a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3 in the spring (good deal on ebay for $270) and will have a tough time going back to less room for a 1.5 pound difference.

Big Agnes Insulated air core pad and a Marmot 15º Helium bag for the rest of the setup. I don't have a gay scale like some of the others on here because I only take stuff I really need and it weighs what it weighs.;)

Good luck on your hunt, Nathan.

I don't have a lot of experience on backcountry hunts but I've got some. There are a few main things to consider when picking out a shelter. To me those are price, size, and weight. Last year I hunted out of a Flycreek UL2 with a Western Mountaineering Hyperlite sleeping bag and an Exped Synmat UL7 pad. All in all the setup weighed in under 4 lbs. I found the UL2 to be a little cramped for a week worth of backcountry hunting and I didn't dig the WM mummy bag at all (just too cramped in the footbox and tight all around for me...and I'm only 5'9" and about 180).

This year I wanted to try and maintain the same weight and increase the comfort level some (ie, more space in my tent and my bag. I added a Kifaru Megatarp to the mix and bought a Big Agnes bag with an integrated sleeping pad sleeve that helps keep the bag anchored down. I also bought an Integral Design Bugaboo bivy to keep condensation off the bag but may run with a sheet of cuben fiber instead as a groundcloth for the bag next time I use it.

From setting it up in my yard I think my set-up has accomplished what I wanted it too...definitely roomier and, in fact, with the MegaTarp at 1 lb 5oz and the Big Agnes Heart Mountain at 2 lbs, I'm right at the same weight. The other great thing about the MegaTarp is that it lets me run a lightweight backpacking stove (I have an Ed T cylinder stove) that can greatly increase the comfort of the set-up when temps drop. I really like the flexibility that the tarp, bivy (if I choose to bring it), and bag set-up provides and after last year's backcountry hunt, I decided I wouldn't mind sacrificing a little weight to increase my comfort level. Here's a pic of me inside it...in fact there's room for two people and all their gear in it (in the Flycreek UL2 I had to leave nearly all of my gear outside as the vestibule isn't that big and there really isn't too much space on the inside.

All that being said, if you need something quick it may be too late to order a tarp from Kifaru unless you found one used. Anyway, just something to consider. Even a "roomy" tent can feel claustrophobic after a few days. I'd definitely steer you away from a bivy only for anything more than one night in the elements.

Here are some pics of the BA Fly Creek 2 in action.

Just to add to your confusion/versatility, the BA FC2 has a fast fly option. You can pitch the fly with a footprint only. (W/O tent). But I wouldn't use this if it were buggy. (And it was when I was scouting)

Although you cannot see it in the pics, the tent has 3 small mesh pockets to put stuff. (One on each side and a small one overhead.) I put things like my notepad, contacts, glasses, headlamp, etc in these pockets.

I upgraded from a tarp set up as I am willing to pack a little extra weight for creature comforts.

Middle pic is W/O fly

As far as storing gear, the vestibule doesn't have much room. (You can put your boots, pepper spray, and toiletries) In the last pic, I have a 5x7 sil tarp on the right side. I throw my pack underneath and throw some sticks on top.

Attachments

• 100_1497 small.jpg
    100_1497 small.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 1,281
  • 100_1499 small.jpg
    100_1499 small.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,425
  • 100_1518 small.jpg
    100_1518 small.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 1,272
Last edited:
Six moons design Lunar Duo. Requires trekking poles to setup. Lightweight and palatial for one. But big enough for two.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back