Bivy Stick Satellite Device

JAG

Does anyone in this forum have experience with this device?
The bivy stick uses the Iridium satellite network to relay data to your phone. For those with a Zoleo or Inreach, what are some comparative pros/cons based on what the bivy stick offers? It seems like Zoleo and Inreach may be rendered obsolete like the old Garmins.

The device's app is compatible with Apple and Android. Its features and benefits per the Acratex website:
  • No activation fees (monthly subscription required), 4 Month Plus/Unlimited plan required upon activation
  • Global satellite coverage (Iridium)
  • Send and receive messages via satellite
  • Weather forecasts via satellite
  • SOS monitoring via satellite (Global Rescue)
  • Location tracking and sharing via satellite
  • Map display and navigation
  • Offline maps
  • One-touch Check-in (available directly from the device and via the app)
  • Thousands of mapped climbing, hiking, biking, paddling, skiing routes
  • Send/receive messages and exchange locations with other Bivy Stick users
  • Unsolicited incoming messages
  • Dedicated phone number and email
  • Personal profile with tracks and stats
  • Hundreds of mounts are available
  • Small and lightweight

Sorry, can't help. But wonder that it seems all these types of things use the Iridium network, so it is just a matter of features in the device.?

Reactions: JAG
The only thing I don't like is the inability of the device to send and received texts without the phone so it would be like the Zoleo. That's generally not an issue however I want to the device to function alone if for some reason my phone doesn't work. If I'm in an emergency and my phone is dead I want to be able to converse with the person on the other end and that's why I'll choose InReach over other products and now that the new InReach Mini uses additional satellites with improved batteries I'll spend the extra $

The plans look similar enough.

I can't see much on that feature list or in the base subscription that is much different/above what InReach provides. Offline Maps, maybe, but there are (IMO, better ones) via OnX already.

So - is the only difference the fact that this is a 'stick' and the only UI is via the phone app? Versus InReach where there is the "UI" on the device itself (although I generally only use the Garmin app)?

The only thing I don't like is the inability of the device to send and received texts without the phone so it would be like the Zoleo. That's generally not an issue however I want to the device to function alone if for some reason my phone doesn't work. If I'm in an emergency and my phone is dead I want to be able to converse with the person on the other end and that's why I'll choose InReach over other products and now that the new InReach Mini uses additional satellites with improved batteries I'll spend the extra $

The plans look similar enough.
Happened to me last year, my phone stopped working completely in the AB when i knocked my bull down. Needed packing help i had to do the long text letter for letter into message but 2 hours later the cavalry arrived.

I can't see much on that feature list or in the base subscription that is much different/above what InReach provides. Offline Maps, maybe, but there are (IMO, better ones) via OnX already.

So - is the only difference the fact that this is a 'stick' and the only UI is via the phone app? Versus InReach where there is the "UI" on the device itself (although I generally only use the Garmin app)?
Essentially they offer similar suite of options. The InReach has capabilities to be a stand alone product for 2-way communication while the stick can only send preset messages (think SPOT) when not paired with phone. Looks like you get some social trails maps which may have value for recreation outside of hunting. Both have mapping capabilities. The Stick's battery is about 1/2 that of the InReach Mini 2 (new version)

I didn't realize the Zoleo UI relies on your phone too. Thanks for the replies and questions everyone. I don't have any of these devices, so your feedback is very helpful.

I didn't realize the Zoleo UI relies on your phone too. Thanks for the replies and questions everyone. I don't have any of these devices, so your feedback is very helpful.
It will function alone and send preset messages and emergency alerts but as I mentioned in this and other threads you do not know if those messages were sent and received. That is the problem I've encountered with Spot devices and have multiple failed to send messages. In most cases it was ok but a few years ago several missed check-ins got us attention from the local FS LEO and dispatch. That was an eye opener having no idea if messages sent with no way to confirm.

It will function alone and send preset messages and emergency alerts but as I mentioned in this and other threads you do not know if those messages were sent and received. That is the problem I've encountered with Spot devices and have multiple failed to send messages. In most cases it was ok but a few years ago several missed check-ins got us attention from the local FS LEO and dispatch. That was an eye opener having no idea if messages sent with no way to confirm.
The Zoleo will flash different colors when it is a message is pending being sent and then will change when it is sent. You have no way of no if the other party received the message, but you can know if it left the device.

The Zoleo will flash different colors when it is a message is pending being sent and then will change when it is sent. You have no way of no if the other party received the message, but you can know if it left the device.
Spot devices (not the SPOT X) did the same thing but after about 15 minutes they stop trying to send a message if it wasn't going through and it would look like it sent. I've had troubles in the wide open. I hope that the Zoleo at least continues to try to send until something goes through.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back