Bitterroot Elk Study (video)

Wow I just got motion sick watching that:eek: Pretty cool. Wish they would of netted the wolves then dropped then in a lake.

They were able to net gun two wolves out of another pack and get collars on them. What a trip jumping out of a helicopter and running up to a wolf in a net,,,damn if I was only younger.

nice!

Tony, you can always be the gunner

wolf_302.jpg

That would be cool Ben, but I would rather be 20 years younger and the dude that gets to jump.

I kept leaning my head to the side while watching it. Pretty neat to see, I bet thos elk were scares *&^%less though, being chased for that long.

I think that would probably rate up there as one of the coolest jobs I have ever seen. Just wondering where to sign up.

And here I sit, all day, every day, talking to rich retards about their plugged toilets and snowmelt systems.

Those guys recently did a high altitude bighorn sheep capture here in CO for a transplant. They were so close on weight and being able to maneuver at that altitude that they would drop the "jumper" off on the mountain, go net a sheep, pick the jumper up and take him to the sheep. Then they would leave him there while they would sling the sheep down to the trucks and trailers below. Cool stuff.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know of a company looking for a heli pilot? My brother is a freaking amazing heli pilot and he's looking for a job pretty much anywhere.

That video was great...did anyone else have a problem determining what was level ground with all the banking/turning/piching/puke turning those guys were going through?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know of a company looking for a heli pilot? My brother is a freaking amazing heli pilot and he's looking for a job pretty much anywhere.

I might know one, send me a PM and I'll get in touch with a buddy of mine and find out.

Net gunning critters is definitely cool work.

Thanks

Thanks for the link and the interest. We have about 4 hours of footage from this unmanned camera. We have 4 elk captures and the two wolf captures mentioned. We also have ground footage of the processing and releases. Yes, the wolves were radio collared and released (ugh).

Most of the footage is being saved for the documentary. We will be releasing video clips on a regular basis, though. Subscribe to Elk in Peril to keep up with the progress of the study and the film.

To the poster who's brother is a pilot, the company is QuickSilver Air. The pilot is Mark Shelton. I don't know if they are looking for additional pilots but it is possible. They have bases in Colorado and Alaska. There is a contact link on the website. It would be worth his time to apply, anyway. Good luck.

Thanks for the interest. Elk in Peril will show the general public the truth. Our elk are in trouble but science is on our side. The best thing any of us can do today is contact our Representatives and tell them to support HR 509 and the companion Senate amendment that are being attached to the budget bill. Those amendments will take Dictator, I mean, Judge Molloy out of the equation.

The second best thing you can do is make a small donation to help us cover the film expenses. Pope & Young Club is close to awarding us their Conservation Grant but we still need some support. If you can help, go to the Elk in Peril website funding page. Sorry for the sales pitch but this is a project that will go a long way toward influencing the general public and they are who we need to convince. Glad you liked the video.

Best,

Bob

Last edited:
Back