NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Bison Hunt passes Senate

BigHornyRam

The push to renew Montanas Bison hunt in an effort to control the animals coming out of Yellowstone, has passed Montanas Senate by a wide margin! Stay tuned for more.

Paul

Not to denegrate the issue of the bison needing controlled and that hunters should be the one's that do it sinc their money manages them.. but.....
Let me see here, the range of Bison is limitted, and they are too stupid to get out of their own way... and this is different than game farm hunting how????

It'll just be selling tags to walk out and choose the critter you want to shoot. But, it'll be a glorious stalk!!!

I guess because there is no fence.
smile.gif
rolleyes.gif

And from what I have seen and read is that it is people that are too stupid to get out of their way. So it would appear that the big dumb buffalo is smarter than some people.

Marland, so what if it's an easy hunt? It's still not a domesticated animal that is fenced in and can't get away. They are there by their choice, not because some moron put them there for somebody else's guaranteed "hunt."

The are there by choice? Didn't we just have a discussion not a month ago about how the Bison keep getting hazed back into the park because the cattlemen didn't want them on rangeland?
And from what I've seen, a 4 ft fence will turn a bison not like a whitetail who will jump it, Won't an elk will jump a fence too to get to where it wants to go?

So let them go on the private land, and then let the hunters go after them. I'm not trying to argue here. I'm all for hunting them. What other way is there to control the population that would be economical? Hunters are doing the Park Service a service, and it's not costing the tax payers anything. That's a good deal for everybody. If I lived there I'd shoot one if I had the chance. Heck, I may drive there and shoot one anyway. I wouldn't mind having a freezer full of bison meat.
biggrin.gif

I'm all for the hunt too. But, an animal such as the bison would hardly be a game animal (atleast not a bragging rights one) since they can easly be approached with minimal camo.

I believe it would be easier to bag a bison on the free-range than it would an elk in a 20,000 acre enclosure. Providing of course the elk was raised specifically for wild hunt simulation. In other words ,not feedbucket broke.

I think it would be worth bragging rights just for the fact that very few people have killed a wild bison. I would do it just for the meat. I'd rather get it that way than buying it in a store.

Mars- The ranch I'm doing my research on got rid of all their bison a few years back because the fences wouldn't hold them. No, they didn't jump them, they just pushed them over!!!

Wow that's awesome!
I would love to hunt one of these critters! They are free ranging! There just doing what mother nature has instilled within them, expand their range and/or find better quality food! This is nothing like hunting a game farm!
MarlandS: From what I have read and seen if these brutes are truely wild, they are not an easy critter to stalk! And they can be a little dangerous! Nothing, as far as I'm concerned, is that difficult to take with a big Magnum rifle! If I get the chance to hunt a buff, I'm going with a muzzleloader or the ultimate buff hunt with my bow!
Does anyone know how much these ranchers charge to hunt one of these critters? From what I have read you are basically paying a trespass fee. Is this true?

ElkhntinMD

The ranchers aren't charging anything b/c they have nothing to do with it. The state F&G wants the money from you to buy into the draw to buy a tag.
This "hunt" is not very hard nor wild nor sporting in any way shape or form. As of right now, no agency wants to be responsible for the bison, so as they come outa the park, if you want one, shoot it, a 30-30, 45-70 etc worked very well. The rest the state DoL rounds up and hauls off to slaughter. If "sportsmen" go to this "hunt", MHO=hunting slipped too far to recover.

Bufalo hunting, even in the old west days of shooting them from train cars, has never been difficult or 'challenging'. Why does it now have to be difficult or challenging to be legitimate hunting? Hunting wild bufalo is now as its always been. I think that is one difference from game farm shoots.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back