Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Bison Hunt Cancelled !!

sra61

They did it! Here's what I've seen so far:
http://www.billingsgazette.com/blog/outdoors/
1/10/2005
By Mark Henckel at 1:28 pm Bison humor

The news reports on canceling the bison hunt for this year are just trickling in. And, frankly, some of the comments are just plain laughable.

Check this out: “Waiting until next season for a bison hunt will give the state time to put pressure on Yellowstone officials to do more about eliminating disease in its bison herd, Commission Chairman Steve Doherty countered.”

Pressure? On Yellowstone? To manage its bison? That’s a hoot! Yellowstone officials have always acted like they’re bullet-proof to any criticism whatsoever. Montana has been pressuring Yellowstone for at least the past 20 years to solve their bison problems. Brucellosis is still there. The herd size keeps growing.

Or, try this on for size: “Several sportsmen’s groups supported canceling this year’s hunt, telling the commission that the state should first establish a free-roaming bison herd over a wide area outside the park that would ensure fair-chase hunting.”

Just as I suspected. There are people out there who somehow think the Yellowstone bison are just the start of a herd that will expand and expand and eventually repopulate the Great Plains with a free-roaming herd. It isn’t going to happen. There are fences today. At least, there are fences until a herd of buffalo decides it wants to go from one side of the fence to the other.

And, finally, how about this quote: “Josh Osher, spokesman for the Buffalo Field Campaign conservation group, called the commission decision “the right move to make for the future of bison restoration in Montana."”

Bison restoration? In Montana? I don’t know of too many people outside the BFC that want buffalo restoration in Montana. This hunt is about trying – somehow, some way – to trim the Yellowstone herd to a size so it stays and thrives in Yellowstone. Especially if the bison continue to carry brucellosis, Montana doesn’t want ‘em. – mark

The whole brucellosis deal is a bunch of BS.

There hasnt been a documented case of brucellosis spreading to cattle from bison, ever in Montana. Also fair to note is that ELK around Yellowstone carry brucellosis, yet we dont hear anything about that...

Using the brucellosis case to justify a hunting season on bison is ridiculous.

The bottom line is bison need to be hunted to control numbers, simple as that. We dont need excuses to justify controlling bison.

Montana wont get a season until the FWP, the Governor, and the Commission grow a spine.

BuzzH- I think you also forgot the part about the Federal Government growing a spine. I believe last time Babbitt (Department of the Interior) pressed really hard for the bison hunt to be stopped.

Our Governor was quoted in this mornings paper, stating that he wanted the Park to put up a holding pen and test for brucellosis. Any bison testing negative would be sent to a number of Eastern Montana ranches that would take them. Then some day we could have a REAL Montana bison hunt on one of these ranches.

All those opposed said this hunt would not be a REAL hunt. As opposed to a fenced bison hunt? They could have made it a little more challenging say like they do in pool. Call your shot. Off the buffalo hippie's water bong, through the nose ring, third bison on the left.

With all of the room we have on FS and State ground, and a few on this board alway's howling about the evil ranchers, we need to kick out the evil cows and put free rangeing buffalo in there places, not on some ranch.
I would really suppose that when the RMEF was being established, they should have done the same with the Buffalo and this problem would not be existant today...

Elkchsr- that may be too big a can of worms to even open. I imagine that the damage done to crops and fences on private land by elk would pale in camparison to that done by bison. One of the largest (& richest) ranches in No. UT got rid of their bison for that very reason.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back