Bird dog questions

RyeGuy74

My first bird dog will be able to come home at the beginning of next year, an English cocker, I'm just wondering if there's anything I should get or prepare myself for? Other than time, I already know I'm going to be very busy with him/her for awhile lol

Some cockers will do submissive wetting. Google that.
Start her right, work vs play.
Find a pro trainer to get you started in the right direction.

I read Gun Dog by Wolters when I got my spaniel. It's old school and I was a little too heavy handed but it's good to have an idea of how the dog thinks/test you if you don't enforce your commands.

Get a right sized crate for crate training and make that a priority. Invaluable. Two gallons of Nature’s Miracle odor elimination cleaner. Trust me, you’ll use it. Otherwise, focus on socialization and easy obedience stuff. Turn meal times into training times with some “sit, stay, come”. Have lots and lots of patience. Mostly, just enjoy it. Those puppy months fly by.

As with all hunting dogs you’ll want it strong and independent but still responsive to your commands. Whats usually recommended here is to have them be and play in hunting settings/surroundings from early on, but at the same time gradually do more obedience training as they grow bigger. Obviously it all depends on your conditions and preference, though.

I'm an amateur when it comes to training bird dogs. One thing I would start doing now is locating places where you can do in the field training as well as a source for birds.

just brought home my wife's gsp puppy saturday. a few resources we are relying on:

book: before & after getting your puppy by Dr Ian Dunbar

youtube: standing stone kennels they have a very easy approach for human & pup, pick a puppy series and watch it, then another puppy series and watch it. using their method i've been working on place training my 10 yr old border collie and it's going pretty well given that i'm not working hard at it

also start stocking up on paper towels haha, don't want to get a puppy and hit another round of TP/paper towel shortages!

I'm an amateur when it comes to training bird dogs. One thing I would start doing now is locating places where you can do in the field training as well as a source for birds.
I am on bird dogs #6 and #7. Never used any birds for training. Never used electronics or ropes or barrels either. And they have all been simply marvellous in the field and at home. This afternoon in horrible weather (too horrible for my thin haired little French Brittany) my five year-old Lab pointed four pheasants. Each time she held the birds for several minutes. The rooster almost hit me in the head when he finally busted ... and I missed him. I couldn't get turned around in the snow drift. Ellie caught the other three hens. And she caught one of them twice. I released it and it flew around the corner of the coulee followed of course by Ellie. She didn't come back on whistle so eventually I had to slog through the hip deep snow to see what the heck. My gawd there she was three hundred yards down that coulee bounding back with the same bird. I have seen this before. Her ability to mark downed birds is nothing short of surreal. Fortunately she is soft mouthed and all three hens flew away okay though sans some feathers which does concern me in this weather. What can you do? By the way, these are wild public land birds.

Should mention that after the repeat capture I started hanging onto Ellie when birds were released so they had a chance to get out of her sight.

I am curious why you are stuck on a cocker? They are great dogs but, I'm sorry, nothing compares to a Lab. So nice to only have one dog to deburr when I get in at night. A few times this year waterfowl hunting it took me more than two hours to clean up Puppy (Coral). Also there are some genetic issues to watch out for with cockers. 20201030_064702.jpg

I'm not a fan of teaching "sit". Am I just and old school fuddy duddy, or does anyone else think that way?
The command "sit" is basic. It is the start of getting their attention. It means "Something is coming. Pay attention" because in the beginning a treat was always coming. Eventually it translates to "He means business." Hope I cleared that up.

I'm not a fan of teaching "sit". Am I just and old school fuddy duddy, or does anyone else think that way?
I know some guys that don’t. They just use down stay instead. I teach my dogs to sit, but in all reality I use the down stay much more.

I know some guys that don’t. They just use down stay instead. I teach my dogs to sit, but in all reality I use the down stay much more.
So two syllables are better than one? I use stay back (or get back or just back) when I want them behind me. Down means stop jumping on me. Or get down off my bed so I can get in it first. When I want to have a discussion with the dog, she is called to me and sit. My dogs "stay" at the doorway to the kitchen while I pour dogfood. Or they "stay" at the edge of the field while I walk out and hide a bird. Then they are released with "okay." Dogs who live with you can and should develop an extensive vocabulary. Sometimes they even learn the same command can mean different things. Walking at heel "other side" means walk on the other side when I change hands with the gun. In pursuit of game, other side means it's on the other side of the creek or gully (usually, but not always, accompanied by hand signals).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back