Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Bipod? Shooting sticks? Backpack?

My first pronghorn hunt I had a Harris 13-27in mounted and ended up shooting off of a pack. This time I will have a Harris 9-13 mounted but would not hesitate to shoot off a pack again. I may even take the Harris off.

Not a bipod fan but used em when I first began elk hunting...dug into my shoulder & often not tall enough to clear ground growth..just more clutter and weight IMO.. Have had success with the monopod v-yoke, deadfall, and a fencepost & wire connection. This year I leaned one of my Leki grips against a pine trunk to stabilized the forestock/hand weld for a kneeling uphill shot....no way a backpack or bipod could've provided the geometry.

Pack, tree. Something solid.
I've seen Randy using trekking poles to help him in some of the terain he travels.
Couple of trekking poles with some sort of bungee type thing turns them into shooting sticks real quick.

I was on my first antelope hunt last year, and ran a short bipod and carried shooting sticks. Both antelope I killed were off the shooting sticks because the sage brush was always too tall. My next antelope hunt I will be using a taller bipod that I can shoot sitting down, and be prepared to shoot prone off my pack if the terrain allows.

Prone or off my pack or coat are favorites.
Never liked bipods on a rifle.
I carried shooting sticks for years,used a hiking staff.
But since I usually carry a lightweight tripod & spotter and use BD poles hiking, I stopped.
I have shot off the hiking poles when I was caught flatfooted,but I hate hunting with them.Way too noisy & they get in the way too often,IMHO.
The terrain & such where I am make the decision now. I practice off everything at the range,in as many weird positions as possible.
Bags are best with the tripod as 2nd favorite for me. I started just carrying my tripod with a yoke on it for hunting.I can glass, shoot & have a balance pole.
Hiking into an area during non hunting hours its the hiking poles.
I also use a Safari sling so my rifle is always right there in my hands or I can use both hands glassing. Got used to the method in service.I hunt alone.

Bipods are great for kids and open country hunting. As Rob G said, they make it much easier for belly crawling because they keep the muzzle elevated out of the dirt.

That said, I rarely ever use a bipod and less I am antelope hunting. I have used trekking poles, backpacks, rocks, dead snags, you name it I can usually find something to rest upon from a prone or sitting position.

I really like Snipepods. They made like tent poles so they weight very little and don't take up much space. You can purchase them in several different lengths. I chose mine to be able to sit up above sagebrush.

I use a tall bipod so I can shoot over sage and grass. I shoot while sitting and it works fine for me out to 300 yards. Never tried a longer shot. Backpack and prone works well if you can get a clear view and lie down.

Not all bipods are heavy. My Javelin bipod weighs less than 6 ounces and only goes on my rifle when I need it.

I've used all of them, for absolutely rock solid shooting I think a bipod with a pack under the butt is unbeatable. Shot several tahr out to 600 yards that way. Unfortunately it doesn't always play out that you get that shot.

When I hunted hog deer the stag I took was feeding in brush half his height at about 140 m so I had to use my camera tripod as a shooting rest. Then a couple of years ago I was stalking sambar and put a stag up, as he went up the opposote sise of the gulley at 200 yatds i had to shoot him offhand, got it in the boiler room too.

I'd suggest getting comfortable with a few options as you never know what will happen in the field.

Any of them will work but I prefer my Harris bi-pod. I practice with it on the rifle and it is always there and quick to deploy.

Yep, I have the second tallest harris on my Tikka T3. It basically makes it as heavy as a solid wood gun, but one I comfortable shoot 400yds with. I never take it off so it never seems heavy.

I'm with mtmuley.
I hate bipods on my guns. To awkward for me and the have to be tall enough to shoot sitting to clear high grass and brush.
I use my pack frame in most cases, prone or sitting.
On uneven ground the pods feet can catch during recoil and cause a point of impact change at long distances. The packs always with me anyway and sets up for a shot quickly.

Last edited:
I have a love hate relationship with bipods. I run them on my coyote setup but for big game I prefer to shoot off my pack. If the scrub is tall enough, you can put you pack in the top of a sage and nestle up next to it for a solid rest. Prone is a no brainer. Sitting using the pack for a rest takes some practice but is also very stable as you can rest your elbows on your knees. No matter what you decide on, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

double crossed shooting sticks, I wont leave them behind.(again)

This past fall while hunting antelope i left them behind on accident. I took after a good buck with just my rifle and pack. I remembered about them but I was 1/4 mile already into my stalk. I figured i would be ok laying the gun over my pack. To make a long story short, the sagebrush albeit only 10-12" high sure caused lots of problems. I just couldnt get enough elevation above the sage. I tried sitting and using my pack but I never felt comfortable with that set up so I didnt take the shot. After a few times of bumping the buck I was able to get a bullet in him. He didnt go right down so I had to do the whole set-up again. multiple times if I had the shooting sticks I could have made a shot, but laying prone I couldnt get above the small rises or sagebrush. I promised to never leave the double crossed sticks at the truck again. If I do, I will go back to get them, no matter the distance back to the truck.

With the sticks i feel very confident out to 400+ Give them a try

Here in the east, I can usually take a step or two and have a tree to lean against. On my recent western hunts I have tried the trigger sticks. I have had two sets go to crap. I switched to Bog Pods. They are a bit heavy, and it takes practice to be able to set them quickly, but they work for me. I like my pack if the grass and sage allows it.

Just wondering, how many of you guy's really know how to use a military sling and get yourself in a good shooting position?

Just wondering, how many of you guy's really know how to use a military sling and get yourself in a good shooting position?

I completely understand shooting positions, how to increase stability, breathing, trigger press , etc. I very rarely use a sling as a support, a la the hasty sling. I find there are usually better options available.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back