Binos vs. Riflescope

Which is a more important optic to upgrade first?

• Binoculars

Votes: 90 80.4%
  • Riflescope

Votes: 22 19.6%

• Total voters
Assuming you have a reliable scope, upgrade binos first.

That being said, I just upgraded my scope and not my binos... But they're next up to be upgraded prior to next season.

Depends. If you were a hunting noob, like me, and did some research first, you'd of bought decent glass in both categories off the bat. I got more knowledgeable and then got better rifle glass followed by much better binos.

I think it depends on the style of hunting/shooting you do.

If you are someone that glasses big country and have the possibility of taking longer shots you ultimately need both but I would go with a scope first. Many people have said that you can’t kill what you can’t see…yeah, maybe. Otoh, if you do spot something and then fail to kill it because of a piss poor scope that can't hold zero or dial correctly that would not sit well with me. If you are someone that dials a scope I would upgrade that first. It sounds like many here shoot scopes that don't dial and I can understand the thought of going binos first. Although, I think people would be surprised at how often their scopes fail to hold zero. Like mentioned above, the amount of people who zero their scopes before season that have to adjust their poi is amazing. They may chalk it up to them being "off" that day or some environmental element but many times it's their scope. So they adjust a .5-1" and call it good until they have to adjust again that next year.

There are quite a few good binocular companies out there that work well in a wide range of budgets but scopes that dial and hold zero consistently is a much shorter list. So choose wisely.

Binos. You will constantly be using your binos on the hunt, all day long, from early morning to late evening. You might go several days before you see something you wish to shoot, at which point you will then use your scope. Bonos first is my suggestion.

It depends on the hunting you do. Most medium game hunting is whitetail from a stand. My experience is binos are only useful in the very few minutes of legal light where you can see with good binos, but not naked eye. Binos are glued to my eyes at those times, but I do not use them otherwise Using them in good light seems to alert older deer which look for movement in stands and reflected light in general.

People like to argue that you shouldn't look at deer through the scope. That's silly because you're sure it's a deer before you point whatever you're looking through at it.

Other hunting, binos are more important than an upgraded scope. Most other hunting, I'd be fine a with Filipino scope, but I wouldn't bother to carry the same quality binos. I'd just do without.

People like to argue that you shouldn't look at deer through the scope. That's silly because you're sure it's a deer before you point whatever you're looking through at it.
Yeah that'd make it significantly harder to be successful if you aren't supposed to look at the deer with your scope!

Binoculars without question. Good glass to properly identify what you are looking at is both ethical and safe. And it is what you will spend the most time looking through, and it really helps with eye strain.

I hunt whitetail in Alabama. Cross between timber , green fields and jungle. Since training myself to use my binos all day I figure I see 30-40 % more deer and see them way sooner than just my eyes. This allows me to be quiet, motionless and ready when the deer get where I can shoot them. I never considered glassing an eastern thing but it sure is. I see deer approaching back in the woods where I never could see them before. It took me 25 years to learn this as I always thought glassing was a western thing. No telling how many bucks I spooked off picking my nose or moving around or just plain never saw circling my stand. I dont think it makes any difference were you hunt you can benefit greatly by a great set of binos.

Liebig's Law of the Minimum....

Which one is holding you back the most?...The lowest stave in the barrel.

1677687186303.png

For most people that will be the binoculars since you use them so much more in the West. Whereas a scope just has to hold zero and allow you to adequately aim at your target during legal shooting light.

Last edited:
I don't own any Alpha glass. That said, I use a B&L Discoverer 7x42 binocular and Leupold scopes. I like fixed 4x scopes but own some variables. I set the variables at 4x hunting. I want at least 7x for glassing and 4x is plenty for my hunting rifles. When I was younger my eyes could make up for the sins of cheap glass. When I needed glasses that changed.

The answer depends on what binos and scope someone currently has and how they typically hunt.

Lots of folks rely heavily on glassing to find game and lots of folks dont.

In general i tend to lean towards binos if you currently have a reliable rifle scope.

I recently upgraded to an 8x42 Athlon Argos pair of binoculars and was amazed at the difference the new lense coatings make in brightness and low light clarity. My old Nikons 7x32 were pushing 30 years old and were very clear but low light clarity was lacking. I am very happy with the Athlons other than they are about 12 ounces heavier. I also upgraded to a chest pack binoculars case which I love.

Back