Caribou Gear Tarp

Binoculars vs. Spotting Scope for Mountain Hunting?

kad11

Here is a little background on me to hopefully help put my question in context:

-I did not grow up hunting and just finished my first season this past fall, so I’m very, very inexperienced.
-I hunt as often as I can and as many species as I can (elk, deer, bear, and wolf so far…hopefully goats, pronghorn, and sheep in the future) and my main tactic is to cover as much ground as possible (on foot) looking for sign, animals, etc. Basically I am young and impatient and have not yet disciplined myself to sit down and glass for long periods of time.
-I am VERY interested in hunting the local unlimited sheep district (HD300) and I realize this is a decade or longer commitment if I want to do it unguided. I am a school teacher and have a lot of time during the summers to do the necessary scouting. This is my main reason for looking in to possibly purchasing a spotting scope.

Now to my question: I currently own two pairs of binoculars (10x42 Redfield Renegades and an older pair of 10x50 Steiner Predators). The Steiners were given to me (so I have no money invested in them). Do you think it would be best to sell the Steiners for $300-$400 (I have an interested buyer) in order to help fund the purchase of a spotting scope (probably 65mm, thinking Vortex Viper or Nikon 5 Prostaff, but open to other suggestions as well), or would you hold on to the higher quality Steiner binos and wait a few seasons longer to buy the spotter? The Redfields work great and I don’t see a huge difference between the two binos personally, but that could also be due to my lack of experience…

I guess my question boils down to which piece of equipment is more important for the type of hunting we have in SW Montana? Specifically, how important is a spotting scope for hunting in the unlimited sheep districts and, more generally, how often do you guys use a spotting scope vs. a pair of binos while scouting and hunting?

I would love to hear your guys’ opinion because I know there is a whole lot of wisdom on the website and I just want to make a well-informed choice before I do something I may regret later.

You'll need both, but the binos will be used more. The binos are for general glassing and spotting which will be the bulk of your time, as they are much more effective. Once you've located animals turn to the spotter to evaluate. Glassing the hillside with a spotter is tough on your eyes, tough to maneuver, and limited in capability.

While I can't justify owning a $3000 scope and tripod, I would consider renting a Swaro for that OIL hunt.

One website that specializes in optic rentals has a rate of $20 per day for a 7 day minimum.

I'd say keep the better binos and start with a real cheap ($100 used) spotter. You'll most likely use the spotter to see something in greater detail but not as your main piece of glass. The bulk of your time will be behind your binos and though a quick look may not show a big difference, you'll feel it at the end of the day in eye fatigue and/or headaches.

On the same token, I've hunted with guys that have $20 bushnells that are 40 years old that see things much quicker and in greater detail than I could with much more expensive binos. Experience and practice count for a lot.

Get the best bino's You can afford. and don't worry about a spotting scope till You can afford a really good one in My opinion. I have found that cheap spotting scopes are not worth nothing. With a really good pair of 15 power binos on a tripod You can see better than You can with any bushnell, nikon or leoupold or other brand of spotting scope in the $200 to $ 800 range. The only Spooting Scopes worth using is the high $ HD ones and You have figure if that kind of money is worth it for the type of hunting You do, or how serious You are gonna get. Another thing is the high $ hd ones are ridiculous in price. As far as binos. You can get by with15 power Minox ,Docter or Vortex for $700 to $1000 . I have for 20 years as I can't afford the 2 to $3000 dollar ones.. I do find just as many animals as My buddies do with their Swaroski's. Just my real expierience told here.Good luck. You can find used ones cheaper too........BOB!

With your current style of hunting, the binos are a much more valuable asset.

I agree with naturebob on the spotting scope issue. If you want to see what it is like to carry a cheap spotting scope, you will get just as much benefit from packing around a sack of rocks.
I had a $100 POS scope that was something like 10-60x zoom. I also have a pair of low end Nikon binoculars that bounce around in the truck. Side-by-side the beat up binoculars were actually better. Because the binos were more clear, I could actually see more detail with the binos at a constant 10x than the scope at any magnification.

Don't buy a cheap spotter! Use those Predators and save your money for a good spotting scope. You'll end up money ahead in the long run.

If you're in country where you can glass for long distances, a spotting scope will save you from a lot of unproductive hiking. You will see far more game sitting and glassing than you ever will hiking. Game animals will see your movement from great distances and will hear you coming. You will never see those animals. It's impossible to see an animal get up from its bed, stretch and lay back down while you are hiking and that might be the one thing that lets you know its in the country you are hunting.

Here is a little background on me to hopefully help put my question in context:

-I did not grow up hunting and just finished my first season this past fall, so I’m very, very inexperienced.
-I hunt as often as I can and as many species as I can (elk, deer, bear, and wolf so far…hopefully goats, pronghorn, and sheep in the future) and my main tactic is to cover as much ground as possible (on foot) looking for sign, animals, etc. Basically I am young and impatient and have not yet disciplined myself to sit down and glass for long periods of time.
-I am VERY interested in hunting the local unlimited sheep district (HD300) and I realize this is a decade or longer commitment if I want to do it unguided. I am a school teacher and have a lot of time during the summers to do the necessary scouting. This is my main reason for looking in to possibly purchasing a spotting scope.

Now to my question: I currently own two pairs of binoculars (10x42 Redfield Renegades and an older pair of 10x50 Steiner Predators). The Steiners were given to me (so I have no money invested in them). Do you think it would be best to sell the Steiners for $300-$400 (I have an interested buyer) in order to help fund the purchase of a spotting scope (probably 65mm, thinking Vortex Viper or Nikon 5 Prostaff, but open to other suggestions as well), or would you hold on to the higher quality Steiner binos and wait a few seasons longer to buy the spotter? The Redfields work great and I don’t see a huge difference between the two binos personally, but that could also be due to my lack of experience…

I guess my question boils down to which piece of equipment is more important for the type of hunting we have in SW Montana? Specifically, how important is a spotting scope for hunting in the unlimited sheep districts and, more generally, how often do you guys use a spotting scope vs. a pair of binos while scouting and hunting?

I would love to hear your guys’ opinion because I know there is a whole lot of wisdom on the website and I just want to make a well-informed choice before I do something I may regret later.

Sounds like you have more time than money right now, which is probably the exact opposite of the majority of guys on this site, if I had to take a guess. a spotter basically saves you from making that 1 mile down the valley, up the other side hike to get a better look at any animal. But with the time of having the entire summer free, than you will likely be in the shape where that won't really bother you. I personally would sell all the optics you described above, and throw in a few hundred extra, and buy the best bino's you can with the cash you come up with. Get a good bino harness to keep them protected and in good shape and you will have them the rest of your life. I about had a heart attack writing that check for my Swaro's 5 years ago, as I had more time than money at that stage in my life as well, but still have them and should have them another decade or so (or until I have more money than brain cells, than I will justify buying a new pair just to have a new pair). Look into a light weight tripod as well. I know you might not think a tripod with bino's is not necessary, but if you are going to put in the time to hunt that General Sheep tag, you will be behind the glass a lot. I use a Slik, lite weight camera tripod, as it can hold up the lower weight of the bino's just fine (impossible with a spotting scope, as it is too heavy), but just for a pair of bino's they work great. Get a pair of bino's that you can mount to a tripod, buy the best pair you can afford right now (you can justify it by telling yourself you will have them for decades) and good luck with the sheep hunt.

Oh I forgot to add, the best way around this situation is to get a hunting buddy who has more money than time, and let him buy and then pack the spotting scope..........if you have ever seen the move PCU, when Jeremy Piven is talking to the kid about his upcoming Freshman year in college, it is kind of like that:

Jeremy Piven ---- "You have a car"
Kid ---- "No"
Jeremy Piven ----- "Somone on your dorm floor will, find them and make friends with them the first day"

Last edited:
I know its not easy to part with the kind of cabbage it takes to get the best glass, but its worth every single penny.

If you're going to continue to hunt for a long time, good quality glass is an investment you cant hardly live without.

I fought off buying good glass for a long time, and my only regret is not having it much sooner. If you're really on a tight budget, I'd invest the most money in binoculars as you'll be using them much more. For a spotter, if I was on a budget, I'd look around for a leupold (new or used) 12-40x80. For the money, its good glass, very packable, and will get you by. I bought one used for $500 about 12 years ago and it still works pretty well. I've since upgraded to a Swaro spotter.

I really appreciate everyone's advice and input; at this point I think I am going to hold on to the two pairs of binos I have and just save my money... as I gain experience I think I'll develop a better idea of what's necessary and what's not.

I was under the impression that a lot of guys used spotting scopes to actually look for game, but it sounds like using a spotter in that role is pretty unproductive. I'd say you guys saved me from making a pretty dumb mistake...

Again, I really appreciate everyone's advice and wisdom.

You can also improve your glassing ability by using a tripod with your binos. It's unlikely your binos will have an adapter, but if you can find a cheap tripod with easy ability to 3-way pivot and hold your binos you can really stabilize your images, and possibly see more game.

I've also heard great reviews on the Vortex Nomad Spotter which is being discontinued and can be had for under $250 right now.

I really appreciate everyone's advice and input; at this point I think I am going to hold on to the two pairs of binos I have and just save my money... as I gain experience I think I'll develop a better idea of what's necessary and what's not.

I was under the impression that a lot of guys used spotting scopes to actually look for game, but it sounds like using a spotter in that role is pretty unproductive. I'd say you guys saved me from making a pretty dumb mistake...

Again, I really appreciate everyone's advice and wisdom.

While I do agree that binos will be used the majority of the time I think a spotting scope is a pretty vital tool to have. When you're looking for a animal, particularly a legal ram in the district you mentioned, you want to analyze every little nook and cranny. My job last summer was basically glassing wildlife, and I can't tell you how many times I scanned over animals with binos that I later picked up with my spotter.

I've also heard great reviews on the Vortex Nomad Spotter which is being discontinued and can be had for under $250 right now.

We used the Nomad for work, I was impressed with the quality for the price, although my co-workers did manage to break 3 of them last summer, but they were quickly repaired for free.

What job were you working last summer MHMT? That sounds like a dream job!

While I do agree that binos will be used the majority of the time I think a spotting scope is a pretty vital tool to have. When you're looking for a animal, particularly a legal ram in the district you mentioned, you want to analyze every little nook and cranny. My job last summer was basically glassing wildlife, and I can't tell you how many times I scanned over animals with binos that I later picked up with my spotter.

I do agree that binos are more important. But then I got a minox md50. Its an affordable, quality, compact spotter. I would do my initial glassing with my binos, and then use my little spotter-about 50% of the time I pick up game I glassed over initially with my binos. You can find these little spotters all over the web for $200 used. You might want to look into that. I plan on getting a 65mm or 80mm in the near future but wont be getting rid of the minox. Ill still use it exclusively on my back pack hunts. Just something to think about.

Here is a little background on me to hopefully help put my question in context.
-I hunt as often as I can and as many species as I can (elk, deer, bear, and wolf so far…hopefully goats, pronghorn, and sheep in the future) and my main tactic is to cover as much ground as possible (on foot) looking for sign, animals, etc. Basically I am young and impatient and have not yet disciplined myself to sit down and glass .

First of all, I want to comment you on your self analysis and honesty - that will take you a long ways to more successful hunting - and life in general.

Use what you have and don't try and slow down - force yourself to. When you find a good glassing point, use it. Set your watch and force yourself to stay there until the time you've set is up.

Being a teacher, ask around to see if you can borrow a spotter. Try out as many as you can get your hands on. You'll soon figure out that no matter how good the spotter, it is just as important to have a good stable, useable tripod. That combination is not going to be cheap.

Hell - if you can't slow down, start stuffing rocks in your pack until you get enough in there where you'll want to sit and glass awhile :)

Good luck - and don't feel bad, we've all been there in our younger days.

Well thank you for your encouragement; I really do appreciate it! I've always been pretty cheap and tight with my money, but I'm learning that there are certain things where you do actually "get what you pay for." By the time I can save up enough money to even consider buying a spotting scope I think I will have a good idea as to whether or not it's something I will use on a regular basis.

I will have to give the Nomad and Minox a look though - thanks for letting me know about those scopes.

I do have a question about what you guys mean by glassing. Let's say your spring bear hunting and it's maybe 4PM. You've just hiked up to the crest of a large finger ridge and you've got 2-3 miles of opposing slope in front of you. Are you going to spend the rest of the day (until sunset) glassing this one 2-3 mile stretch repeatedly (hoping that a bear will eventually emerge), or will you give that stretch maybe one or two thorough looks and then move on to a different area to glass?

I guess what I'm asking is do you guys sit in one area and wait for the animals to come into your field of view, or do you glass an area over and, if its empty, move to a new area?

I would imagine that most people do a combination of both depending on a myriad of factors, but this is something that I've often wondered (especially last spring when I was looking for bears). "Should I stay or should I go..."

And I just can't say enough about this website and all the folks that willingly share so much information...I'm really grateful for it.

Yes, judging rams with a shitty spotter is pretty tough.

I do have a question about what you guys mean by glassing. Let's say your spring bear hunting and it's maybe 4PM. You've just hiked up to the crest of a large finger ridge and you've got 2-3 miles of opposing slope in front of you. Are you going to spend the rest of the day (until sunset) glassing this one 2-3 mile stretch repeatedly (hoping that a bear will eventually emerge), or will you give that stretch maybe one or two thorough looks and then move on to a different area to glass?

I guess what I'm asking is do you guys sit in one area and wait for the animals to come into your field of view, or do you glass an area over and, if its empty, move to a new area?

I would imagine that most people do a combination of both depending on a myriad of factors, but this is something that I've often wondered (especially last spring when I was looking for bears). "Should I stay or should I go..."

And I just can't say enough about this website and all the folks that willingly share so much information...I'm really grateful for it.

It really depends on the species im hunting and a lot of other variables. If im hunting spring bear and can see a real good stretch of open hill side that I know produces bears in the P.M. ill spot all of it over and over until one comes up.
With mulies if its first thing in the AM ill glass a spot a good while over and move on. For one there real easy to spot and for two theyll be bedding after a little while into the morning. Of course there always is a ton of different variables that play into it; what season, weather, temp, moon phase, and your confidence in the area.

Just buying a spotter is a big choice. Size matters, and once you decide you need a spotter you then have to think about how much weight and bulk you really want to pack. Certain hunts the 50-60mm spotters are good enough but when it comes to real long distance glassing they fall off with lower magnification, lower light gathering, and general image quality. If your going on a hunt when you will never be glassing more than a mile the small ones are great. But when it comes to spotting an animal 5 miles off and seeing if it is good enough to use your boots the 80mm and larger spotters are a must. Bottom line, whenever you are using one you wished you had the other with you as well. I have taken both on many trips and the terrain decides what one will stay in the truck or get packed in. If you have money to buy one, I suggest the middle of the road for both price and size because it will work on almost all hunts. If you have cash to spare, get both and they will both get used.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back