Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Bino Upgrade

Ben Lamb

I've had my Theron Wapiti's for a few years now, and very much like them in terms of quality and price. But, I'm getting the itch to upgrade, and since my wonderful, amazing, gorgeous wife just had a fun weekend in the big city of Missoula, MT which involved several stops at local merchants, I'm flush on DTI points. So far, my choices are the following:

All Binoculars considered are the 10x42 models or equivalent

Theron Questa

Vortex Razor

Leica Trinovid

Zeiss Conquest

If I get creative and sell a couple of pistols I never use, my options increase to:

Swaro SLC's

Leica Geovid

Anything I'm missing? I've heard good things about Maven, but have not really tried them out except for a brief glassing 3 years ago.

I just got a pair of the Vortex Viper HD in 10x42 thinking I was going to be upgrading from my Nikon Monarch's that are 10 years old. Surprisingly, I will be returning the Viper's and just continue to save up for something in the higher end. I'd be curious to see how big of difference there is between the Viper's and Razor's, but I was disappointed to say the least. Good luck!

I just got a pair of the Vortex Viper HD in 10x42 thinking I was going to be upgrading from my Nikon Monarch's that are 10 years old. Surprisingly, I will be returning the Viper's and just continue to save up for something in the higher end. I'd be curious to see how big of difference there is between the Viper's and Razor's, but I was disappointed to say the least. Good luck!

The Questa's seem to compare favorably to the Vipers & Zen Ray Primes, and they're a better buy, so I didn't include them. I do hear good things about the Razors in terms of quality over the Vipers, especially in lower light conditions.

Good to hear on the Conquests. I've been leery of them as scopes but know they have a good following.

I have Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42's , I can glass longer with 8x vs 10x without my eyes getting 'tired' , may be my old eyes (going on 70) now.

I use the Vortex Viper HD 10x42 and love them!! These are around $600-700 and do everything I need them to do.

I have Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42's , I can glass longer with 8x vs 10x without my eyes getting 'tired' , may be my old eyes (going on 70) now.

This. I think once you get to a certain level of binocular you are paying for unperceivable clarity that does a lot to make glassing more comfortable, and when you glass more you find more game.

Ben, I was in your same shoes a few years ago and had narrowed it down to the Razor HDs and the Conquest HDs. I think either is a good choice, but I would also look around for deals on some SLCs (even used). have seen used pairs for $1300ish.

If Swaro is a possibility, buy Swaro. I've spent thousands of dollars on outdoor gear with my Swaros being my best purchase.

The Swaros are a possibility, but as I said, I'd have to sell a couple of pistols before being able to afford them. Which is why I'm more interested in the sub-$1K binos.

I have the Theron Wapitis and really like them, which is why the Questas are in the mix.

The ones on your list that I have experience with are Vortex Razors and Leica. Razor is certainly better glass than Vipers, even though I've always been happy with my Viper binos as well. All the Leica glass I've looked through was great, the Geovids are stupid expensive, but I sure love using them. For my screwed up eyes, my Leicas just work.

I have some Maven B.2's in 9x45 and really enjoy looking through them and believe they compare nicely to Swaros. With that said, I wouldn't blame anyone for going with the more proven companies.

I believe Outdoorsmans are running a $300 off sale on SLC's right now.

I use Pentax dcf 10×43. They will be around 900 or so. Some different glass for you to look through

Swaros.....then the only regret will be selling the pistols.

^^This! I have never known anyone to regret buy Swaros. Most of the people that are selling them used are doing so to purchase a different model of Swaros. You will use your binoculars on every trip out hunting, scouting, shed hunting .....

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back